Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I swung by the service center today to check out our new Model X. We are hopefully taking delivery on Tuesday afternoon. I found the car and did a very quick walk around since there were several Tesla staff moving a ton of cars around.. they were super busy. Any thoughts on how easily these items can be remedied? Looks like a paint chip and some alignment issues. I also saw a piece of paper on the dash that has Paint marked off..? I did notice the S worm on the steering wheel... Is that worth mentioning or are all the yokes this way?
tempImage1cDor9.jpg
tempImage3BdaZb.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 87
I swung by the service center today to check out our new Model X. We are hopefully taking delivery on Tuesday afternoon. I found the car and did a very quick walk around since there were several Tesla staff moving a ton of cars around.. they were super busy. Any thoughts on how easily these items can be remedied? Looks like a paint chip and some alignment issues. I also saw a piece of paper on the dash that has Paint marked off..? I did notice the S worm on the steering wheel... Is that worth mentioning or are all the yokes this way? View attachment 786857View attachment 786856
I rejected my Plaid delivery today for similar issues. Although 4 panels were misaligned on mine. Personally, I would not take delivery on the car in the pictures. Tesla may or may not rectify the issues after delivery. For example on my current 2020 MX they never corrected the misaligned panels beyond a minor adjustment that really didn't correct the way it looks. These cars a major investment and I would rather get a car that I feel comfortable with then up having a ton of issues (like my current MX) has.

Acording to the post one page back, Tesla is not rolling over previously ordered cars that are canceled by the buyer to the next in line. Instead they are marking them up to the new list price and offering them for sale to those that do not want to wait.
Makes sense, as someone posponing taking a car for any reason can get back into line and await another one to come along at the earlier pricing.

They will make phone calls to those on the interest list, offering immediate delivery.

Reactions: TJPDX
Acording to the post one page back, Tesla is not rolling over previously ordered cars that are canceled by the buyer to the next in line. Instead they are marking them up to the new list price and offering them for sale to those that do not want to wait.
Makes sense, as someone posponing taking a car for any reason can get back into line and await another one to come along at the earlier pricing.

They will make phone calls to those on the interest list, offering immediate delivery.
Not according to the rep I spoke with today. So whatever they said 1 page back may have been a different situation.

Good way to move the same inventory at a higher price as the quarter ends. I really don't get people being excited to get a VIN right now...hell no with end of quarter. Get back to me at the end of April and I'll be happy.

Reactions: aerodyne
I rejected my Plaid delivery today for similar issues. Although 4 panels were misaligned on mine. Personally, I would not take delivery on the car in the pictures. Tesla may or may not rectify the issues after delivery. For example on my current 2020 MX they never corrected the misaligned panels beyond a minor adjustment that really didn't correct the way it looks. These cars a major investment and I would rather get a car that I feel comfortable with then up having a ton of issues (like my current MX) has.
What say we start a revolution here at TMC, a revolution to reject?
In the words of Twisted Sisters:
We’re not gona take it, oh no we ain’t gonna take it, we’re not gonna take it anymore!!

Last edited:
I swung by the service center today to check out our new Model X. We are hopefully taking delivery on Tuesday afternoon. I found the car and did a very quick walk around since there were several Tesla staff moving a ton of cars around.. they were super busy. Any thoughts on how easily these items can be remedied? Looks like a paint chip and some alignment issues. I also saw a piece of paper on the dash that has Paint marked off..? I did notice the S worm on the steering wheel... Is that worth mentioning or are all the yokes this way? View attachment 786857View attachment 786856
Take it because if you won't i'm sure some guys here would...I mean they would even take a wheelbarrow if it had an X on it and just turn it into service for a month or 2

Interesting.. Unfortunately who knows how long it will take to get a new VIN.. and interest rates are going up probably every month or two.. It's a dilemma but I'm hoping they can fix these issues.. Not quite sure its been fully inspected yet, but they may let it go thinking I won't see it on delivery day..

Reactions: Dr_ScienceBI
Is anyone else having this problem? In the Tesla app, under my Model X reservation, when I play the video guides, they are all silent.

I tried turning off Bluetooth in case my phone was connecting to something else; I tried maximizing the volume, and I even restarted my phone. Still no audio. 😕

So far 2 drives with the new X. Ive driven 16 miles so not a ton of experience. Here are things I’ve noticed that are different from my 2018 X.

You can no longer move the second row seats from the center screen, 3rd row doesn’t have the heat or cool feature and I can’t for the life of me can figure out how to alter the widgets on the driver screen. In 2018 X i could see music, or energy info on the left and right sides.

It is leaps and bounds in ride comfort above my previous X and my current Y
Check the app: can you heat the third row seats from the app? Because in our Model Y, you can’t heat the third row seats from the car screen BUT you can in the app!

Is anyone else having this problem? In the Tesla app, under my Model X reservation, when I play the video guides, they are all silent.

I tried turning off Bluetooth in case my phone was connecting to something else; I tried maximizing the volume, and I even restarted my phone. Still no audio. 😕
Yep and very interesting the sound played when connected to the my car Bluetooth { lexus}

• Helpful
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
I have a very busy day today (unrelated to the car), but I will try to find time to write a “first impressions” post later.
As promised: 24 hours with the refresh Model X:

tl;dr: I didn’t expect such a huge improvement from the 2018 Model X. But the refresh is way better all around. If you’re considering the upgrade, you will love it!

Background: My wife and I both work in software. I am a computer guy, not a car guy. So I’ve always viewed Tesla as a “computer with 4 wheels” instead of a car. We owned a 2014 Model S 85 kWh; our only child is off to college, so we don’t need big seating capacity, but we need cargo capacity several times per month. We are also about to take delivery on an RV travel trailer, so we need the towing capability. We ordered the new Model X in August 2021; we got scared that Tesla would not deliver in time for our trailer, so we bought a 2018 CPO Model X in December. But the refresh is so much better overall - I’m very glad we upgraded.

Exterior appearance: To my inexperienced eye, the exterior is mostly the same as pre-refresh, apart from minor details like the chrome trim is now black. No strong opinion here.

Interior appearance: Huge improvement. Much more luxurious feel than either of our previous Teslas. Center console has lots of storage options. Again, I’m not a car guy; I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s still behind top-of-the-line imports, but it looks great to me.

Controls: A mixed bag. First, I was wrong. I ... like the yoke? The left and right steering dials are a big improvement. But I have some gripes. First, I’m not a fan of getting rid of the turn signal stalk. Sorry, not at all. The problem with the turn signal buttons is that I have to look at them. A stalk is something you can manipulate by feel. I don’t miss the other stalks, but both my wife and I really miss the turn signal stalk. Second, I miss creep during parking. On the roads, the lack of creep is a real plus - you can drive with a single pedal nearly all the time. However, I’m nervous trying to park without creep. With creep, you can react quickly and stop if you think it’s unsafe. Without creep, you have to move your foot quickly to the brake pedal. I may need to start parking with both feet - oh well. The horn button is a similar problem to the turn signals: it requires a lot more thought in an urgent situation. And I miss the energy data and chart. The rest of the odd controls are fine; they’re different, neither better nor worse.

Driving: Everything feels smooth. Better acceleration than either of the Teslas we had before. Very quiet inside, even without noise canceling. Stereo is a big improvement.

Fit and finish: I’ve read the horror stories, so I was expecting the worst. Nothing serious, though I’m not that critical about these things. I noticed a few minor blemishes in the clear coat (not the paint), and my friend noticed one of the falcon wing doors should be aligned better when closed (I will open a service ticket for that). The driver's air bag has the worm, which doesn't seem to bug me.

Delivery: The people at the service center were polite and efficient, but I can tell the detailing was really rushed - though I’ll take some of the blame for pushing the delivery to "next day". There were multiple pieces of tape and protective plastic that should have been removed. The blemishes in the clear coat should have been buffed out. Water spots everywhere. The windshield washer fluid was empty. Again, I’m not that picky, so it was pretty sloppy for me to notice all of this.

Other: It’s petty for Tesla not to include the NEMA 14-50 plug adapter. I asked if I could keep the one from the trade-in, and I got an emphatic no. I ordered one, but it’s silly not to include it at this price point.

All in all, I’m loving the car after the first day. It’s loaded with 95 loaves of home made bread for the food bank tomorrow, and there's plenty of room for more.

Finally, thanks for the camaraderie on this thread. You made the wait better. I plan on sticking around this thread for now.

Attachments

• IMG_1262.jpeg
    IMG_1262.jpeg
    355.8 KB · Views: 83
Check the app: can you heat the third row seats from the app? Because in our Model Y, you can’t heat the third row seats from the car screen BUT you can in the app!

I just gave my app a double look and no dice. No bacon strips on third row. On Y it’s also something they maybe removed recently. My 3rd row in Y also doesn’t have the option in app. 2021 delivered in November.

• Informative
Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Order May 2021, black six seater. Got a phone call today saying that they had a car available for me, and that the original intended orderer didn't pick up the car. SA said he didn't know why they didn't pick up. Said it was a 2021 vin. I decided to not pick up, as I live really far away and didn't want to deal with getting all the financials together only to find out that the car isn't perfect. Will wait for the 2022 model (hopefully with matrix lights).