Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Finally managed to get my X seen by the service center. Posting this in hopes others don’t follow the same path.

When I received my new MX, I noticed that my range wasn’t the “advertised” range. I have a MXLR with 22” Wheels. According to the website, my out of the box estimated range should be 330 until it learns my habits and such. Great. Well, it showed a max of 315. That’s 4.5% loss without having driven the vehicle. I was told that service center would take care of it.

Well, after getting my service appointment pushed back 4 times, I was finally seen a few days ago. The outcome was that they claim it’s normal and that I needed to be educated on how range works as the vehicle has adapted to my driving habits. The minute I read that, I went up to the desk and asked how Tesla could possibly know my driving habits on the new X if I had never stepped foot in it before seeing this range. The lady claimed she’d talk to the mechanic the next day and get back to me. That call never came. I’ve called Tesla twice now and been told it is what it is.

The worm on my yoke? It is what it is.

The vibrations on the back seats? It is what it is.

I’m tired of arguing and waiting. Seriously considering getting rid of It now and moving on from this company. I’ve always been a fanboy but damn they treat us like idiots.
This is disappointing. I have seen Tesla reps throw their hands in the air for order and delivery issues but if they are doing that for car defects, it is really sad. I understand different service centers may have different levels of quality but isn't that something Tesla should fix so there is consistency in service? For cars that are now starting at $60K, and for X that is north of $100k, we really should expect nothing but the best from any service center.

This is disappointing. I have seen Tesla reps throw their hands in the air for order and delivery issues but if they are doing that for car defects, it is really sad. I understand different service centers may have different levels of quality but isn't that something Tesla should fix so there is consistency in service? For cars that are now starting at $60K, and for X that is north of $100k, we really should expect nothing but the best from any service center.
There's a lot Tesla should do, but they largely don't because they know they can get away with it. Very irritating.

Maybe this has already been litigated, but I received a notification in the mail today RE: my Model Y... and that an urgent OTA software update was deployed to resolve an issue with pedestrian vehicle noise requirements. Wonder if that's what all the fuss is about with the X hold? Is it just to ensure the SW update has been deployed to all vehicles prior to delivery?

FWIW the notification said it applied to all S/3/X/Y vehicles manufactured during a certain date range.

I seriously hope the delivery delay (April 15th) is purely related to a software fix.

I could easily claim the current software is not safe.

Here is my experience yesterday.
Currently on 2022,8.3. Have been having the rear restraint error on and off ever since 2022.8.2.

Yesterday we took a trip from Atlanta to Tallahassee. Drove for about 1.5 hours. Car was operating normally. Stopped for lunch. Got back in car after lunch and noticed the rear restraint error. Not a big deal. Changed wheel config and cleared the error. A few minutes later it came back, along with a ton of other issues...

Rear restraint error
Tire flat warning popping up from time to time.
Brake error warning popping up from time to time.
Airbag warning.
Side camera video on turn signal were garbage/frozen/garbled.
Backup camera came up, but it was really just a snapshot that updated every 5 seconds.
No internet
Nav was useless. Again it updated every 20 seconds maybe.
External temp display went from a real temp to "--" on an off.
Voice commands didn't work so I couldn't log a bug report.
Cruise control would freak out when activated.
I didn't even think about trying AP.
Car charged thankfully at supercharger, but had random horn beeps.
Speed limit indicator on dash was coming and going.
AP icon was flashing yellow.

The computer was basically freaking out.

I tried a soft scroll reboot, hard scroll + brake reboot, power off, nothing worked. Finished the drive to Tallahassee with the car beeping constantly and in this state.

Let the car sit for dinner at hotel and went back out after about an hour and did a power down and restart. Internet was back, so I could now connect from my phone. Let the car sit overnight to sleep and this morning everything is normal.

I don't know if this is a software issue, a faulty processor, an overheating processor, or something else. I fear it's more than a software thing.

We will be traveling again tomorrow for a few hours and I'll see if the same thing happens after driving for a few hours.

I do have to say, I did not feel safe driving in the car.

Finally managed to get my X seen by the service center. Posting this in hopes others don’t follow the same path.

When I received my new MX, I noticed that my range wasn’t the “advertised” range. I have a MXLR with 22” Wheels. According to the website, my out of the box estimated range should be 330 until it learns my habits and such. Great. Well, it showed a max of 315. That’s 4.5% loss without having driven the vehicle. I was told that service center would take care of it.

Well, after getting my service appointment pushed back 4 times, I was finally seen a few days ago. The outcome was that they claim it’s normal and that I needed to be educated on how range works as the vehicle has adapted to my driving habits. The minute I read that, I went up to the desk and asked how Tesla could possibly know my driving habits on the new X if I had never stepped foot in it before seeing this range. The lady claimed she’d talk to the mechanic the next day and get back to me. That call never came. I’ve called Tesla twice now and been told it is what it is.

The worm on my yoke? It is what it is.

The vibrations on the back seats? It is what it is.

I’m tired of arguing and waiting. Seriously considering getting rid of It now and moving on from this company. I’ve always been a fanboy but damn they treat us like idiots.
The 2020 MY that I had got nowhere near Tesla claimed range. Tesla always over estimates and uses 100% battery capacity in that estimate. Other manufacturers under estimate and only use a safe portion of the battery (~85%). Really makes me think, why am I buying another Tesla...

I seriously hope the delivery delay (April 15th) is purely related to a software fix.

Currently on 2022,8.3. Have been having the rear restraint error on and off ever since 2022.8.2.

Yesterday we took a trip from Atlanta to Tallahassee. Drove for about 1.5 hours. Car was operating normally. Stopped for lunch. Got back in car after lunch and noticed the rear restraint error. Not a big deal. Changed wheel config and cleared the error. A few minutes later it came back, along with a ton of other issues...

Rear restraint error
Airbag warning.
Backup camera came up, but it was really just a snapshot that updated every 5 seconds.
No internet

I tried a soft scroll reboot, hard scroll + brake reboot, power off, nothing worked. Finished the drive to Tallahassee with the car beeping constantly and in this state.

Let the car sit for dinner at hotel and went back out after about an hour and did a power down and restart. Internet was back, so I could now connect from my phone. Let the car sit overnight to sleep and this morning everything is normal.

I don't know if this is a software issue, a faulty processor, an overheating processor, or something else. I fear it's more than a software thing.

We will be traveling again tomorrow for a few hours and I'll see if the same thing happens after driving for a few hours.

" Currently on 2022,8.3. Have been having the rear restraint error on and off ever since 2022.8.2. " Man.. this happened to me.. unable drive.
My MX is at service center, they are looking into it.

1649344750031.png

The 2020 MY that I had got nowhere near Tesla claimed range. Tesla always over estimates and uses 100% battery capacity in that estimate. Other manufacturers under estimate and only use a safe portion of the battery (~85%). Really makes me think, why am I buying another Tesla...
Are you driving at the speeds used in the test schedule? 60 mph is the top of the highway schedule. See this page for the test schedules. These are all done on a dynamometer in a lab. Manufacturers do not test by driving cars to empty.

I hope the delay is because they're finally finalizing the regs for no side mirrors needed if you have cameras. I think all Tesla's qualify to drop the side mirrors. It would be a body design change that would be minimal but impactful on range (EPA delay) AND aesthetics. It also means I can park easier in the garage (garage width is 82").

EDIT: One previous regulatory exemption from 2020: This Vehicle Has No Side-View Mirrors—and It's Legal

Original notice of rulemaking from 2019: https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/FR-2019-08-28/pdf/2019-18487.pdf

DOT reg meeting from March seemed positive but nothing in federal register.

• Disagree
Reactions: mr-dmitry
Are you driving at the speeds used in the test schedule? 60 mph is the top of the highway schedule. See this page for the test schedules. These are all done on a dynamometer in a lab. Manufacturers do not test by driving cars to empty.
The reading on the dash of the MY never gave a range estimate close to what was advertised. There are a lot of professional reviews of EV range and in general other manufacturers like Audi always outperform their stated range in real world testing while Tesla always underperform their optimistically stated ranges. It's a fact that has been documented for many years now.

Rear restraint error
Airbag warning.
No internet

As I previously reported, this is an overheating issue. Currently, they update software to version 2022.8.3 and purge air bubbles in the cooling system from the service menu to resolve this issue. Agree with you that these measures don’t seem enough. Likely, there is a hardware design issue in the cooling system.

But are you telling that you had this issue after the update to version 2022.8.3???

Last edited:
This is precisely what I was referencing in post 30,523. Maybe someone else has already put forth this theory, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the reason for the delivery holdups at the moment.
I think they aren’t telling everything. The real thing they want to solve with the update is the overheating issue. But this is very concerning. Because no software load must create such a severe overheating unless there is also a hardware or hardware design problem.

I think they aren’t telling everything. The real thing they want to solve with the update is the overheating issue. But this is very concerning. Because no software load must create such a severe overheating unless there is also a hardware or hardware design problem.
Has the problem been showing up only on longer drives? I had one rear restraint error on 8.2 that I cleared. I have since updated to 8.3, and have had no issues. Our longest drive since then has been approximately one hour each way, with a stop in between of about an hour. No problems there. Haven’t super charged since the error popped up. We have a road trip planned for tomorrow, so I am nervous.

Has the problem been showing up only on longer drives? I had one rear restraint error on 8.2 that I cleared. I have since updated to 8.3, and have had no issues. Our longest drive since then has been approximately one hour each way, with a stop in between of about an hour. No problems there. Haven’t super charged since the error popped up. We have a road trip planned for tomorrow, so I am nervous.
Yes, it showed up after a long trip. The fix was included into version 8.3. Haven’t checked if it actually helped yet.

The reading on the dash of the MY never gave a range estimate close to what was advertised. There are a lot of professional reviews of EV range and in general other manufacturers like Audi always outperform their stated range in real world testing while Tesla always underperform their optimistically stated ranges. It's a fact that has been documented for many years now.

blame the EPA for that.. why they offer 2 separate tests for EV range testing is beyond me. Everyone should be standardized on a singular test but manufactures can pay more for the EPA extended cycle testing to eek out more rated range. Not many opt for that and just choose the fewer cycle test except tesla and I believe lucid.

Hi//
Still waiting for the XLR I ordered 29th January 2021. EDD of July 22. My 2018 XLR 100d is running the latest software (2022.8.3). I have none of the problems reported here. Infer what you want. Probably should not say this, but the car is truly excellent. Will seriously miss the RADAR. Waiting on the sidelines while all of this works its way out is OK. I'd like to have the new X but really enjoy driving the old Blue Bat.
We drove up to Bellingham, WA (up by the Canadian border) a few days ago the stopped in Everett (about a half hour north of Seattle) on the way back to visit an antique clock shop. Broadway Clock Shop - Roger has an incredible inventory of antique clocks. We committed to a late 1800s Lenzerkirch wall clock. Beautiful walnut burl. Anyway, decided to stop at the Supercharger in Lynwood before heading home to Bainbridge Island. Just wanted to add 15% because the Supercharger is $0.40/kWh and I pay $0.10 at home. I'm cheap. There's a Mobile Service guy parked next to us charging his machine. There's smallish trap door that the trunk door's latch slides into while locking. The little door is cocked to the side and not working properly. Was thinking of calling and setting up a service appointment.
So just as I unplug the charger the Mobile Service guy comes over and asks if there's anything he can do for me! Really. I point out the little trapdoor and he says Oh, I can fix that. Goes over to his car and comes back with a tool. Pulls things apart. Fixes the door. Puts it all back together. Like five minutes. Easy Peasy. I've never had this happen before with any car I've owned.
So - a shout out to the Mobile Service guy who stopped by and helped me.
Bob