Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to share my Model X Plaid order experience so far.

I placed the initial order on June 17th, 2021. My expected delivery date was December 2021.

In December, the delivery date changed to January 2022.

In January, the delivery date changed to February 2022.

In February, the delivery date changed to March 2022.

In March, the delivery date changed to July 2022.

In early April, the delivery date changed to April 19th to April 27th

In mid April, the delivery date changed to July 2022.

On April 17th, I received a text message saying my VIN was ready! I logged into the app, and sure enough, there was the VIN. I immediately started getting insurance on the vehicle.

On April 18th, I logged back in an the VIN was GONE! It was back to saying "We'll reach out to you when your VIN is assigned".

I messaged my Tesla advisor and asked WTF was going on, and they called me back saying there was a "parts issue" at the factory and that the delivery will be delayed "at least a few weeks"m but they have no real ETA. Had to cancel the insurance I got.

The website now says estimated delivery July 2022.

What a frustratingly wild ride this has been.

Attachments

• Screenshot (12).png
    Screenshot (12).png
    71.5 KB · Views: 90
What's crazier, is mine is a 2020 Long Range, with all the same options, 5 seater. Basically Identical vehicle but 2020 with only 16k miles and they offered me $85k, which was a joke. Still waiting on my order though, so hopefully the next trade in go around the offer will go up.
Tesla just gave me $89K for my 2019 X - 7 seater with 26K miles w/ FSD. $94K if you factor in tax savings.

Last edited:

I placed the initial order on June 17th, 2021. My expected delivery date was December 2021.

On April 17th, I received a text message saying my VIN was ready! I logged into the app, and sure enough, there was the VIN. I immediately started getting insurance on the vehicle.

On April 18th, I logged back in an the VIN was GONE! It was back to saying "We'll reach out to you when your VIN is assigned".

I messaged my Tesla advisor and asked WTF was going on, and they called me back saying there was a "parts issue" at the factory and that the delivery will be delayed "at least a few weeks"m but they have no real ETA. Had to cancel the insurance I got.

Thanks for sharing your story. I doubt the SA has any idea whether the delay is a few days or a few weeks so I wouldn’t put much stock in that.

I am curious what VIN you were assigned and what your configuration was.

I just received a VIN this morning.
7SAXCBE66NF338xxx

MXP 6 Seater MSM/White 20”

I was annoyed when my delivery estimate changed to March 16-31 and then went back to july. This would be very frustrating.
I’m on day 401 now. Hoping next week we start seeing a flood of vins again.

Thanks for sharing your story. I doubt the SA has any idea whether the delay is a few days or a few weeks so I wouldn’t put much stock in that.

I am curious what VIN you were assigned and what your configuration was.

I just received a VIN this morning.
7SAXCBE66NF338xxx

MXP 6 Seater MSM/White 20”
The folks in this forum usually know as-much as the typical Tesla SA. Sometimes more.

If your bank is part of the Plaid network (no relation to Tesla Plaid) then you can pay via bank transfer when picking up your car. If you want to verify, go into your Tesla app and start the Pay process. It will ask you to choose your bank. If it shows up in the list, you are good to go.

This is a chicken $hit move - another in a long line. Look, it's quite simple.... Just provide a $400 credit to shop.tesla.com. People can buy a mobile connector, put the money towards a wall charger, by t-shirts and hats, whatever. Instead they are just nickel and diming people.

Yes. My Volvo XC40 came with an L2 charger and included both 5-15 and 14-50 adapters. Moving from my Roadster to Volvo was as simple as could be. Remove Roadster UMC from 14-50, plug in Volvo EVSE. Done.

I have ONLY used Tesla mobile connectors to charge for the last 12 years.

No market adjustment on my Volvo. I ordered it online at MSRP and it was shipped to my dealer. Dealer did the prep and delivered the car (got me connected to the app, showed me the features, etc). 5 months in and I haven't been back once. Hope I can say the same about my MX.

This is normal for Tesla. As it gets towards the end of the quarter, they deliver closer and closer to the factory top minimize transit time. Then when the quarter rolls over they ship cars with longer ship times (international, east coast) so they are sure to be delivered in the same quarter.

Mine is supposed to arrive in KC on 4/25 but I can't pick it up until 5/7. Due to the distance we can only pick up on a Saturday and we are busy on 4/30. I traded emails with KC and they are fine to hold onto the car until 5/7.

So if you happen to go by later next week, you should see it! Plaid/Blue/Black/6/20. If you do, please post on its condition! It was an EOQ car so I am nervous that it was slapped together.
Sounds great! I go by several times a week and will keep my eye out for it. Hopefully, it's all good and your delivery is easy!

My model X plaid is scheduled for pickup tomorrow. The sales guy told me that it comes with the new Matrix LED headlights. But I'm not convinced. He sent me these pictures, and to be honest I'm not really sure either. Can anyone comment if this looks like the normal MX headlights? Or do these look like Matrix headlights?

The matrix LEDs on the S look like they have a projector. I don't see a similar feature in these.

I would suggest not getting insurance until the car is actually in your driveway. In most states you have 30 days to flip insurance over anyway. There is no need to be early.