Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would suggest not getting insurance until the car is actually in your driveway. In most states you have 30 days to flip insurance over anyway. There is no need to be early.
Kinda. You are legally required to have auto insurance, but you have the 30 days to add the specific vehicle to the policy. I'm pretty sure Tesla requires the proof of insurance to be provided before you can take delivery.

My model X plaid is scheduled for pickup tomorrow. The sales guy told me that it comes with the new Matrix LED headlights. But I'm not convinced. He sent me these pictures, and to be honest I'm not really sure either. Can anyone comment if this looks like the normal MX headlights? Or do these look like Matrix headlights?

My SA told me the same. Both of our SA's are wrong.

If you want *proof*, run the Xmas show. Matrix-equipped cars will project the word "TESLA" on a wall. Even the latest X's (days old) do not do this. 3, Y, S all do.

1650481102361.png

It is mandatory equipment and Elon is lying (again) when he says they aren't widely used.
They literally track charging on each car and easily see the diff between a supercharger vs a Tesla charger vs a 110v or dryer outlet. I was ok with their move, until a moment ago when a guy was talking about donating our mobile chargers that "we don't use" and I immediately thought, no I like mine in case of emergencies, soooo...

Last edited:
My model X plaid is scheduled for pickup tomorrow. The sales guy told me that it comes with the new Matrix LED headlights. But I'm not convinced. He sent me these pictures, and to be honest I'm not really sure either. Can anyone comment if this looks like the normal MX headlights? Or do these look like Matrix headlights?

you might need to zoom out. The thick white outline is also how you can tell they are not matrix.

I would suggest not getting insurance until the car is actually in your driveway. In most states you have 30 days to flip insurance over anyway. There is no need to be early.
Agreed. I gave my agent a heads up and they verified that I am covered for 30 days with my existing policy. I took a photo of our existing policy and uploaded that to Tesla via the Tesla App.

Reactions: focher
Just wanted to share my Model X Plaid order experience so far.

I placed the initial order on June 17th, 2021. My expected delivery date was December 2021.

In December, the delivery date changed to January 2022.

In January, the delivery date changed to February 2022.

In February, the delivery date changed to March 2022.

In March, the delivery date changed to July 2022.

In early April, the delivery date changed to April 19th to April 27th

In mid April, the delivery date changed to July 2022.

On April 17th, I received a text message saying my VIN was ready! I logged into the app, and sure enough, there was the VIN. I immediately started getting insurance on the vehicle.

On April 18th, I logged back in an the VIN was GONE! It was back to saying "We'll reach out to you when your VIN is assigned".

I messaged my Tesla advisor and asked WTF was going on, and they called me back saying there was a "parts issue" at the factory and that the delivery will be delayed "at least a few weeks"m but they have no real ETA. Had to cancel the insurance I got.

The website now says estimated delivery July 2022.

What a frustratingly wild ride this has been.
You too? Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to July I go... as of today, they changed my delivery date for the ELEVENTH TIME today. Well, one thing is for sure... I'm not belching CO2 or anything else into the air with any car because I haven't had one since Feb 25th 2021. This wasn't how I envisioned doing my part to combat climate change.

Just wanted to share my Model X Plaid order experience so far.

I placed the initial order on June 17th, 2021. My expected delivery date was December 2021.

In December, the delivery date changed to January 2022.

In January, the delivery date changed to February 2022.

In February, the delivery date changed to March 2022.

In March, the delivery date changed to July 2022.

In early April, the delivery date changed to April 19th to April 27th

In mid April, the delivery date changed to July 2022.

On April 17th, I received a text message saying my VIN was ready! I logged into the app, and sure enough, there was the VIN. I immediately started getting insurance on the vehicle.

On April 18th, I logged back in an the VIN was GONE! It was back to saying "We'll reach out to you when your VIN is assigned".

I messaged my Tesla advisor and asked WTF was going on, and they called me back saying there was a "parts issue" at the factory and that the delivery will be delayed "at least a few weeks"m but they have no real ETA. Had to cancel the insurance I got.

The website now says estimated delivery July 2022.

What a frustratingly wild ride this has been.
As a fellow de-VINner, I know how you feel. I have been emailing multiple SA's and the ordersupport email daily. Some days I heard back, some days I don't. The bottom line is I don't know when I will get a new VIN (or get re-matched with the old VIN).

And hence, more lurking on this forum/thread.

Reactions: msjodilynn1
Don’t want to say this out loud but what IF there is an accident within 30 days and the car has no insurance yet?
You should verify w/ your agent but for me, in Oklahoma, with Allstate, I am covered on new vehicles at the same level as my other vehicles for 30 days. As long as I have a Bill of Sale that is within 30 days they will cover it. But I have never let it go that long. I already have a quote for the X. Once I accept the car I will email my agent to activate.

When I has my M3 delivered 03-2021 I had to have proof of insurance before they would deliver it. Are the rules different if you do pick-up or is this a per state thing?
It may depend on the state but if you read the app carefully, it says something about uploading a currently active insurance policy in your name. It doesn't saw with your new Tesla's VIN. So I uploaded a photo of our MS insurance verification.

When I has my M3 delivered 03-2021 I had to have proof of insurance before they would deliver it. Are the rules different if you do pick-up or is this a per state thing?
You can use your old or any existing policy, which is what you probably have already uploaded to the web site. Nobody needs insurance on something they do not (yet) own.

In my case though (Progressive, web site and no agent), all three of my cars are on the same policy. To change it, I just have to log in and delete one car and add another. The policy number does not change. I can set whatever coverages I want on each car separately. Sooo much easier than dealing with an agent, that more likely than not, will screw something up.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrPaulAR