Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No doubt they will change again but right now you need to order a more expensive trim to get a car soonest. MXP, MSP, M3P, and MYP with paid colors will deliver the quickest for the next several months. They have to make up for lost sales volume in China.
Probably as much to do with those being the lower production models as price. They can make one day of the performance model and meet weeks or a month of orders of that performance model.

For those of you considering changing your LR to a Plaid. I texted my SA and emailed Jorge about changing my April 2021 LR to a Plaid. I haven’t heard from Jorge but my SA very quickly replied that “there is a chance Plaid Model X may arrive earlier than Model X, however there is no way to ensure this. Would you like to make this change to your configuration?” And also that “If you made a change, you would remain in your current pricebook of when you placed your order.” He/she also texted me a link to a configuration page with the pricebook from April 2021. The delta is about $30k. I would prefer the extra 15 miles in the LR and find the 2.5 speed not worth the $30k but I would really like my car this summer. If Tesla could guarantee a July delivery this would be worth it to me but it’s also possible I change to a Plaid and then get my car in January 2023.
I changed my 1st order of a LR to Plaid hoping I'd get it sooner, and it didn't seem to make a difference at all with my delivery. At some point I thought it delayed my car. I'm sure peeps mileage may vary. With the prodigious power now at my foot, I have no regrets even though I haven't done any road trips yet to feel the loss of the 15 miles.
Any one tagged Elon on twitter with this ridiculous date on model X delivery??
Those tweets may have helped. My 2nd Plaid order just today got an EDD of May 21st - June 8th from October. Maybe its all the whining and cheesing about the delays? We've been here before on this board and it sucks! Anyway I'm going to cancel this 2nd order since I got my first Plaid delivered to my house Sunday, but I'll wait a bit. My original orders are like 400 days apart, but delivery looks 3 weeks apart. It's literally stupid, or well, ludicrous. Any Burbank peeps wanting a Blue/white interior Plaid? I'll wait until you contact me before I cancel. Maybe you can contact Jorge or Roberto at the Burbank SA and somehow sort it out and get this Plaid sooner.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Look, I have my X. Ordered 2/5/21, delivered 5/7/22. It was worth the wait. Seeing all the frustration, I almost feel guilty, but not really. ;)

When things go wrong, humans typically want someone to blame. IT'S YOUR DAMNED FAULT, PUTZ! Usually, the wrong target is chosen if there is an actual target at all.

1. If I was still in you guys' shoes, I'd believe the parts shortage line. Why? Because China does 27% of the world's manufacturing now. FoxConn is gigantic, for example. Shanghai has been shut down tight for weeks, including Tesla Shanghai due to China's Zero COVID policy. The government has literally welded peoples' front doors shut so they can't get out of their apartments. In the 1990s, as I've said before, our oh so wise CEO's moved tons of their manufacturing to China to take advantage of low wages. Labor accounts for ~12% of the cost of a new vehicle. That's what these guys go after every time. Autos, steel, seats, hoses of all kinds, electronics, it was all outsourced. That worked out for 'em for 20 years. Then the communist party of China grew nervous. They started to fear the billionaires their form of capitalism created. Notice how prominent Chinese have been disappearing the past several years. Like all centrally planned economies do, CCP made several gigantic mistakes running from real estate to consumer investing, to taking on too much debt. It's all crashing around their ears right now. As for Tesla getting the parts they must purchase from the world's factory, well the Chinese made another boo boo, in their hubris they went for homemade COVID vaccines that don't work well at all. The government also went for 100% lockdowns anywhere COVID cropped up. So, now we have supply chains issues across the board. ICE car manufacturers are experiencing the same issues.

2. New buyers are flocking to EVs thanks to sky high gas prices. This is a good thing, but it's overwhelming manufacturing capacity that's only now starting to move at a fast walk. Tesla is miles ahead in turning out EVs, but all that's accomplished is to attract more and more orders. Gas prices are high because that lousy sociopath Putin decided to invade Ukraine. He didn't get the 4 day war he planned and is in a mess. One piece of that mess is other countries have stopped buying Russian oil as a means to force the Russians to the negotiating table for real. That move, however, removed several of the 9 million barrels of oil, and natural gas on top of that, Russia used to export daily. The world's daily oil supply balanced on a knife edge all along. Outfits like OPEC want to keep prices ups, always have, always will. The U.S. is the world's largest oil producer @ 12 million barrels a day. Much production was shut down when COVID struck. Remember the news stories about overflowing storage tanks with gasoline dirt cheap? Well, now we're out and about and production hasn't caught up as quickly as needed. Bottom line: This oil fiasco is driving more people to EVs at a faster pace than predicted. That means a whole lot of waiting in line for a Tesla 'cause Ford, Mercedes, GM, Kia et al have no idea how to mass produce EVs profitably as Tesla does.

3. Look for food prices to skyrocket next. Ukraine produces gazillions of baskets of wheat. We don't need it, but Europe and Asia do. You can't plant crops when Russian planes are dropping bombs on you. This is going to cause much hunger, even starvation in many parts of the world.

4. Tesla sucks at leveling with customers on what is going down and why. No argument from me on that point. OTOH, you kinda already know what's happening if you follow world events at all. Your SA, Musk, anyone at Tesla is not responsible for parts not arriving because Chinese factories are shut down. POTUS is not responsible for gasoline prices. The U.S. didn't invade Ukraine and start mass murdering people, Putin did. We Americans like to blame our Presidents when things go wrong. But not POTUS ever has had the power to set the price for a barrel of oil that eventually shows up at the gas pump in Peoria. There is some evidence of price gouging by the oil companies. Yes, they do this, always have. See the OPEC embargo in 1973-74 punishing the US for resupplying Israel with arms in the 1973 war. Hours waits at gas stations, ridiculous pricing, public panic. Been there, done that more than once.

5. This is just a guess on my part, but I still think Tesla has been shocked at the number of MX orders that have rolled in. Not sure about this, but it looks like X orders outnumber S orders, which is not typically the case. With all this expansion, IMO Tesla should open another line with one churning out the S and the other the X.

THE VILLAINS HERE: Putin, COVID, dumb corporate CEOs, legacy OEMs with their heads up their butts, the CCP and the usual suspects in the oil industry.

If you're interested in finding out more on what's going down, I suggest you check out the work of Tony Seba at RethinkX. Really makes you think. (He predicted the EV revolution way back in 2005 and it's going down right on schedule).

As for the interminable wait for an X, all I can say is I waited 15 months and am glad I did. Patience grasshopper, all good things come to those who wait. Wise words delivered by David Carradine's master in the Kung Fu TV show way back when.

Last edited:
Look, I have my X. Ordered 2/5/21, delivered 5/7/22. It was worth the wait. Seeing all the frustration, I almost feel guilty, but not really. ;)

When things go wrong, humans typically want someone to blame. IT'S YOUR DAMNED FAULT, PUTZ! Usually, the wrong target is chosen if there is an actual target at all.

1. If I was still in you guys' shoes, I'd believe the parts shortage line. Why? Because China does 27% of the world's manufacturing now. FoxConn is gigantic, for example. Shanghai has been shut down tight for weeks, including Tesla Shanghai due to China's Zero COVID policy. The government has literally welded peoples' front doors shut so they can't get out of their apartments. In the 1990s, as I've said before, our oh so wise CEO's moved tons of their manufacturing to China to take advantage of low wages. Labor accounts for ~12% of the cost of a new vehicle. That's what these guys go after every time. Autos, steel, seats, hoses of all kinds, electronics, it was all outsourced. That worked out for 'em for 20 years. Then the communist party of China grew nervous. They started to fear the billionaires their form of capitalism created. Notice how prominent Chinese have been disappearing the past several years. Like all centrally planned economies do, CCP made several gigantic mistakes running from real estate to consumer investing, to taking on too much debt. It's all crashing around their ears right now. As for Tesla getting the parts they must purchase from the world's factory, well the Chinese made another boo boo, in their hubris they went for homemade COVID vaccines that don't work well at all. The government also went for 100% lockdowns anywhere COVID cropped up. So, now we have supply chains issues across the board. ICE car manufacturers are experiencing the same issues.

2. New buyers are flocking to EVs thanks to sky high gas prices. This is a good thing, but it's overwhelming manufacturing capacity that's only now starting to move at a fast walk. Tesla is miles ahead in turning out EVs, but all that's accomplished is to attract more and more orders. Gas prices are high because that lousy sociopath Putin decided to invade Ukraine. He didn't get the 4 day war he planned and is in a mess. One piece of that mess is other countries have stopped buying Russian oil as a means to force the Russians to the negotiating table for real. That move, however, removed several of the 9 million barrels of oil, and natural gas on top of that, Russia used to export daily. The world's daily oil supply balanced on a knife edge all along. Outfits like OPEC want to keep prices ups, always have, always will. The U.S. is the world's largest oil producer @ 12 million barrels a day. Much production was shut down when COVID struck. Remember the news stories about overflowing storage tanks with gasoline dirt cheap? Well, now we're out and about and production hasn't caught up as quickly as needed. Bottom line: This oil fiasco is driving more people to EVs at a faster pace than predicted. That means a whole lot of waiting in line for a Tesla 'cause Ford, Mercedes, GM, Kia et al have no idea how to mass produce EVs profitably as Tesla does.

3. Look for food prices to skyrocket next. Ukraine produces gazillions of baskets of wheat. We don't need it, but Europe and Asia do. You can't plant crops when Russian planes are dropping bombs on you. This is going to cause much hunger, even starvation in many parts of the world.

4. Tesla sucks at leveling with customers on what is going down and why. No argument from me on that point. OTOH, you kinda already know what's happening if you follow world events at all. Your SA, Musk, anyone at Tesla is not responsible for parts not arriving because Chinese factories are shut down. POTUS is not responsible for gasoline prices. The U.S. didn't invade Ukraine and start mass murdering people, Putin did. We Americans like to blame our Presidents when things go wrong. But not POTUS ever has had the power to set the price for a barrel of oil that eventually shows up at the gas pump in Peoria. There is some evidence of price gouging by the oil companies. Yes, they do this, always have. See the OPEC embargo in 1973-74 punishing the US for resupplying Israel with arms in the 1973 war. Hours waits at gas stations, ridiculous pricing, public panic. Been there, done that more than once.

5. This is just a guess on my part, but I still think Tesla has been shocked at the number of MX orders that have rolled in. Not sure about this, but it looks like X orders outnumber S orders, which is not typically the case. With all this expansion, IMO Tesla should open another line with one churning out the S and the other the X.

THE VILLAINS HERE: Putin, COVID, dumb corporate CEOs, legacy OEMs with their heads up their butts, the CCP and the usual suspects in the oil industry.
No it's all frickin Elons fault. All of it. He is a baaaad mannnnn can't you see?

You can keep giving Tesla excuses.
If you feel that strongly, perhaps you should write off the $100 and buy an EV from another manufacturer. (Good luck with that). All I know is after 15 months of hoping, complaining and bitching, it did arrive and is sitting in front of my house right now.

Ordered 6/21, was July 22 for the longest time… today it’s Dec 22 - April 23.

Might cancel and switch to the Y. Pretty disappointed as I want the X, and don’t think this latest estimate is accurate (just my suspicion).
Why cancel? Just keep it just in case... It won't cost you anything. Who knows when it'll actually get here and how you will feel when it does?

Reactions: w1n78 and ductordoc
Might as well throw some unicorny stuff in there like 4680s and structural packs, 800 mile range, maybe another interior revision to include armrests and wireless charging for the back rows, middle row folding for 6 seaters, Falcon Doors that open a different way so as to make the roof useful for a rack, double the charging rate, Plaid+ and FSD that actually works.
Elon: YUP. That's doable ... hmm your car is coming in the year 2050.

Ordered 6/21, was July 22 for the longest time… today it’s Dec 22 - April 23.

Might cancel and switch to the Y. Pretty disappointed as I want the X, and don’t think this latest estimate is accurate (just my suspicion).
I just checked. Order a Model Y today and you can expect it to arrive November 22 earliest. You're not going to gain much switching to the Y. And Tesla already has several MY assembly lines running.

Reminds me of the Cabbage Patch dolls fiasco a couple of decades back. Stupid looking dolls, at least to me, that caught on with every little girl wanting one all of a sudden. The manufacturer was caught flat footed and couldn't make enough to meet demand. This led to bribing store personnel to hold one when the next shipment arrived, friends stealing them from one another, and fistfights between soccer moms in Toys 'R Us all over the country.