Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My EDD got pushed to Dec 22-Apr 23 too just like all of you. But I’m sure that this is just a placeholder EDD. Tesla will still deliver MXs between now and Dec. So, you and I will get the car when we get it. Remember the old time when they move the EDD every month until you get your car? I’d rather my expectation crushed once every six months than once every month. Besides, this longer EDD is probably better because people will not go out and prepare financing or buy a wall charger for a car that will be delivered “next month”.
My theory (backed by no evidence whatsoever):

The delays are due to a big overseas push. This lines up nicely with the matrix headlights rumor of June/July builds getting the new lights, which are much more common in Europe.

So the bad news: longer wait for these folks (Dec '22 and beyond) in the US.

Good news: matrix lights seem quite likely.

Meanwhile my younger brother who just ordered a model 3 a few months ago, got a VIN today with an EDD of 3 days
Model 3 has been pretty quick to get for most of this year. Lots of production and low sales volume relative to the Y.

We have a 3 coming up on end of lease in Dec and will probably not order the replacement until Fall.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr
Well I was trying to point out that the high volume cars are just that — high volume, flying off the line.

Like, the Model X is made for sentimental reasons, didn’t Elon literally say so some time ago? It is NOT high volume.

Want a Tesla fast, get a high volume Tesla
What you are saying seems logical so I looked at Tesla's highest volume model and see this:

1652989096954.png

Well I was trying to point out that the high volume cars are just that — high volume, flying off the line.

Like, the Model X is made for sentimental reasons, didn’t Elon literally say so some time ago? It is NOT high volume.

Want a Tesla fast, get a high volume Tesla
We're well, WELL below even slow at 15 months - and that's with consideration of the number of Model X units that Tesla has been capable of producing monthly before the refresh. Surely Tesla has a clue what it's doing or is this pure incompetence? Even Rivian (and others) manages to send out emails with an explanation - should we expect even a sentence tweet from Musk?

Elon to new intern 1 minute before he left from work yesterday: “Can you adjust the EDD for all unfulfilled MX orders?”

New intern: “Sure thing boss”. And he typed this in:

UPDATE Orders SET EDD=“December 2022 - April 2023” WHERE DeliveryDate IS NULL AND Model = ‘X’;

He turned off his computer and went home.

All of us: 😡 🥶🤬🤯

As long as the intern doesn't raise the price on our orders, we should all be ok. Interest rates might hurt.

That's because you will pay more. They are delaying the older low price orders until all factories are back up and running. For S, 3 and Y you can speed up delivery of a non-performance car by simply choosing a paid color. So far that doesn't apply to X.
For those of you considering changing your LR to a Plaid. I texted my SA and emailed Jorge about changing my April 2021 LR to a Plaid. I haven’t heard from Jorge but my SA very quickly replied that “there is a chance Plaid Model X may arrive earlier than Model X, however there is no way to ensure this. Would you like to make this change to your configuration?” And also that “If you made a change, you would remain in your current pricebook of when you placed your order.” He/she also texted me a link to a configuration page with the pricebook from April 2021. The delta is about $30k. I would prefer the extra 15 miles in the LR and find the 2.5 speed not worth the $30k but I would really like my car this summer. If Tesla could guarantee a July delivery this would be worth it to me but it’s also possible I change to a Plaid and then get my car in January 2023.

Reactions: blodg1
I joined that date range as well.
Im probably just going to take a step back, and purchase something else for the time being. if my order takes until April as it says, that'll be a cool 2 years from order lol.

Hopefully when I stop caring so much it’ll get a date lol.
Same here. New EDD is Dec 2022 - April 2023. It will be 2 years from order date. I'm sure there's a lesson to be learned here but what is it? 🤔

We're well, WELL below even slow at 15 months - and that's with consideration of the number of Model X units that Tesla has been capable of producing monthly before the refresh. Surely Tesla has a clue what it's doing or is this pure incompetence? Even Rivian (and others) manages to send out emails with an explanation - should we expect even a sentence tweet from Musk?
Touché
I’m not arguing that there’s no room for improvement in customer communications. 😄

I just really have a long loooong fuse when ordering this faberge egg

What you are saying seems logical so I looked at Tesla's highest volume model and see this:

View attachment 806245
I can get a Model 3 in a little as 3-5 months supposedly. 😁

That being said, I’m guessing they are trying to switch to Giga Texas for the Y.

I also think that there has probably been an insane increase in demand since gas went to 5 gazillion a gallon