Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed 2021+ Model X and Model X Plaid waiting room

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got a call from Tesla to expect a VIN in the coming week/weeks! Our EDD had changed from August 24- September 30th in early August to now just 4 days ago August 30th - September 20th! The sales guy added my trade-in (our old Model X) to our account again, so we´ll see what their offer is. In the process of securing financing now (on a whim it does get delivered within a month ;) )

What!!!!! My order EDD just jumped from Sept 2-29 to December 2022 to April 2023! April!!! I ordered in June 2021. I hope this might just be a minor computer recalculation that will rapidly readjust. Of course two days ago I contacted Tesla for info on order and they said Sept 2-29. I am distraught. Very distraught. And getting angry.
today at 7 am i decide to go ahead and check my Tesla account page At 6:30 am. It says EDD Sept 9-30. What in the world is going on with Tesla’s comp order system? Crazy, nuts. How is one supposed to plan to purchase these expensive vehicles? Whiplash.

Just arrived home from Mt Kisco, NY Tesla. The overall delivery experience is below average. After I got home, I found there is no temporary plate. Lucky me did not get pulled by the police.

There is one issue with the driver-side falcon door. You can see the uneven top from the picture. I think another thread also mentioned this.
I have requested service and scheduled it for Sep 9th.

View attachment 845120
Probably just me, but I don't see anything wrong in the photos on either of your posts about the driver side door not being aligned.

EDD update. Ordered May 13th, 2021. LR, 6 seat, red/white, 20", FSD in Georgia. Window narrowed from Oct 30-Dec 25 to now Oct 25-Dec 6. While I'd love to have it now, I'm hoping they make some new improvements over the next few months. I know it's doubtful, but it would be amazing to see HW4 unveiled at AI Day 2 next month. I'd take that over matrix headlights or seat pockets.

Reactions: Jwalker9
today at 7 am i decide to go ahead and check my Tesla account page At 6:30 am. It says EDD Sept 9-30. What in the world is going on with Tesla’s comp order system? Crazy, nuts. How is one supposed to plan to purchase these expensive vehicles? Whiplash.
I think you are seeing the normal Tesla narrowing of estimated delivery ranges. They use ranges instead of fixed dates. For example my range has updated from 8 weeks to 6 weeks and just now to down to 5 weeks. I suspect yours has progressed similarly.

Looks like your range now is 3 weeks, was your last range 5 weeks?

I am not sure at what point Vins typically appear but I suspect it's once the range is two weeks. Other folks can probably share better thoughts.

Maybe delivery ranges could tracked in the spreadsheet in a way that we could get a feel for how orders progress through the narrowing. There definitely is a pattern. It would be more in sync with how Tesla plans production and communicates potential delivery dates.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBTMX
I had a VIN am for the last few days….I gave Tesla $73,000 and finalized loan paperwork with the VIN and submitted it yesterday. My delivery window with the VIN was Aug 25-29th. I wake up this morning and my VIN is gone and it says Sept 9-Oct 14th???? Can they do that? WTF? I emailed Tesla and will call and text shortly. I want my money back if this is the case and how am I suppose to rework my 3rd party loan….I am furious right now. Anyone ever seen or heard of something like this happening?

I think you are seeing the normal Tesla narrowing of estimated delivery ranges. They use ranges instead of fixed dates. For example my range has updated from 8 weeks to 6 weeks and just now to down to 5 weeks. I suspect yours has progressed similarly.

I am not sure at what point Vins typically appear but I suspect it's once the range is two weeks. Other folks can probably share better thoughts.

Maybe delivery ranges could tracked in the spreadsheet in a way that we could get a feel for how orders progress through the narrowing. There definitely is a pattern. It would be more in sync with how Tesla plans production and communicates potential delivery dates.
My whipsaw of EDD is in my signature block. In the past week, it’s gone from Sept ( as early as the 3rd) to as late as April 2023 back to the earliest of Sept 9. I still don’t have VIN and was told by Tesla that there is 14 days after VIN which contradicts many experiences on this forum, some with only 3 days after VIN or lose the car with no extension . Hopefully not the usual case, but a concern.

My next to last was a 5 month range beginning 4 months from now.

Reactions: Hebert
I had a VIN am for the last few days….I gave Tesla $73,000 and finalized loan paperwork with the VIN and submitted it yesterday. My delivery window with the VIN was Aug 25-29th. I wake up this morning and my VIN is gone and it says Sept 9-Oct 14th???? Can they do that? WTF? I emailed Tesla and will call and text shortly. I want my money back if this is the case and how am I suppose to rework my 3rd party loan….I am furious right now. Anyone ever seen or heard of something like this happening?
Yes, this has happened to several people before. You likely won't get your money back, at least not any time soon. It might be a temporary glitch in the system and you will get your VIN back, or it could be that it failed inspection and they need to repair the car first, or otherwise assign you a different VIN. I think if you already paid you are on a "priority" list to get a VIN quicker.

I stopped by large brand new Tesla SC in Long Beach and talked to one of the sale person there, nice guy. The dealer just had grand opening past Monday and still quite empty with few customers are ordering and couple guys are picking up the M3 and MY. TJ says that my future MX delivery already switch to this location from Buena Park which is a lot smaller and I will be able to inspect inside the car before paying. I was able to get myself inside the MSP in showroom and put my hand on yoke, nice feeling. The car has the brand new scent but do not like how inconvenient getting in /out of the car. So if you are in South of LA and North of Orange county your DC may have been switched to Long Beach to accommodate larger car volume.
The ease of entry is precisely why I bought my first X.

To everyone who is waiting for there Vin, I hope you guys get yours soon. One thing I noticed so far already prior to delivery is last year when We took delivery of Plaid S it use to be 100 mile or 3 days which ever comes first to report any cosmetic issues. Now it is 1 day or 100 mile which ever comes first.

I will be taking delivery of the Plaid X later tonight. Anything in particular that I should be looking out for ?

To everyone who is waiting for there Vin, I hope you guys get yours soon. One thing I noticed so far already prior to delivery is last year when We took delivery of Plaid S it use to be 100 mile or 3 days which ever comes first to report any cosmetic issues. Now it is 1 day or 100 mile which ever comes first.

I will be taking delivery of the Plaid X later tonight. Anything in particular that I should be looking out for ?

You might want to review the delivery checklist on the 3rd tab of the Tesla Model X Orders Tracking Sheet.
Here's hoping you have an excellent delivery.

My whipsaw of EDD is in my signature block. In the past week, it’s gone from Sept ( as early as the 3rd) to as late as April 2023 back to the earliest of Sept 9. I still don’t have VIN and was told by Tesla that there is 14 days after VIN which contradicts many experiences on this forum, some with only 3 days after VIN or lose the car with no extension . Hopefully not the usual case, but a concern.
Interesting how Tesla narrows your EDD somewhat differently than mine. Yours goes to a future date between changes while mine changes to blank or TBD for a few days. Sometimes it narrows by 1 week, sometimes more. I've started watching the midpoint of my range, its been roughly Sept 30th after each update.

Reactions: Prairie
Here is the text I received from Tesla:

“It looks like the Model X that was assigned to your order needed extensive repairs and our HQ team had to remove the VIN from your account. Since it was just removed, the delivery estimate will take a few days to update with a new estimated delivery window based off your order date”

Should I request a new VIN and be concerned that this vehicle requires extensive repairs? Can I and should I request a new car?

Here is the text I received from Tesla:

“It looks like the Model X that was assigned to your order needed extensive repairs and our HQ team had to remove the VIN from your account. Since it was just removed, the delivery estimate will take a few days to update with a new estimated delivery window based off your order date”

Should I request a new VIN and be concerned that this vehicle requires extensive repairs? Can I and should I request a new car?
It sounds like Tesla is taking care of that for you.

Interesting how Tesla narrows your EDD somewhat differently than mine. Yours goes to a future date between changes while mine changes to blank or TBD for a few days. Sometimes it narrows by 1 week, sometimes more. I've started watching the midpoint of my range, its been roughly Sept 30th after each update.

I am 6->5->3 weeks. Currently it's 9/8-9/29, hopefully I will get my car by end of Sep!