TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Refreshed MC RED Blacked out Accents coated with 3M PPF

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Tech_Guy, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Always in Ludicrous mode

Picked up my new MC Red P90D on Tuesday and took it directly to Elevated Auto Concepts in Pasadena. We went over what I wanted and left them to work there magic. I requested full 3M Paint Protective Film, all chrome blacked out, 3M Crystalline window tint 40% on the sides and back and some special red accents to push it over the top!!

Heres some teaser shots they took earlier... hope to take some better ones in the next few days!!

IMG_5206.JPG IMG_5207.JPG

• Like x 4
    • Love x 1
  2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Looks good so far, but the front plate has got to go ... :cool:

• Like x 1
  3. JJoynt

JJoynt Member

Amazing, I would do the exact same thing. Wish you had the choice to have a chrome delete or a night package from the factory

4. Tech_Guy

I definitely would like to do that, however Ive gotten pulled over in the past for front no plate and would rather not give them an excuse to pull me over and since the car is red I'm sure it would be noticed :rolleyes: maybe its time to move hahahah

I totally agree the factory should offer a chrome delete option!!

5. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

Looks great! Did they plast-dip it or was that wrapped?

Thanks Erik

6. Tech_Guy

THANKS ERIK,
    Some of it was painted and some of it was wrapped, I let them make that call from there past experience as far as what needed paint and what could be wrapped, for example they painted the chrome below the side mirrors and on the rear appliqué and emblems. The trim around the windows and at the front below the frunk was wrapped... no plasti dip involved in this project!

7. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

Ah, Good to know. I had my chrome delete done on my refreshed S and they wrapped everything on the sides and plasti-dipped the front/back. I wasn't happy with it, it was very rough and over spray, so I opted for another company to remove the plast-dip and professionally paint the pieces matte black, basically what you had done. I just wish I had done that from the start.

Thanks Erik

8. Tech_Guy

No Problem, Sorry to hear you had to deal with all that!!

The guys at Elevated Auto Concepts definitely knew what they were doing, from there past experience with Teslas they pointed out that the folding mirrors would pull the wrap off so they wanted to paint them. I gave them permission to paint anything else they felt needed to be painted, I believe the front T is painted red as well, I know they painted most or all of the rear stuff. Ill have to ask though exactly what was painted and what was wrapped... According to 3m's website they are one of three 3m Certified & Preferred installers of the ScotchGuard Pro PPF in the Los Angeles area!

Also had them Powder Coat the 19" slipstream wheels satin black for now, I plan to get some 20" wheels in the future possibly those carbon fiber rims that are being discussed in another thread!!

• Like x 1
  9. bensch

bensch Member

Tech_Guy,

Love your Model S! I am very interested to see how your 19" slipstream wheels in satin black came out. Would you mind uploading a photo of the wheels and window trim?

• Like x 1
  10. Tech_Guy

• Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  11. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

I think the forum is broken.... It will only let me like your post once. Looks amazing! Maybe my next one should be red after all?!

Thanks Erik

• Love x 1
  12. Reeler

Reeler 6 Years of Pure EV

@Tech_Guy Looks amazing. How much did it all cost?

13. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

WOW, it looks like a totally different car from the 'before' pictures on another thread.

• Like x 1
  14. Tech_Guy

15. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

• Love x 1
  16. Tech_Guy

Yep right out of hell, order finalized on Friday the 13 and finished production on 6/6/16 :cool:

Ive already ordered a custom plate I think its locked in but ill wait to post it until I've received them in a few months.
    I do plan to keep the factory plates on it as long as possible but my car is quite unique hopefully they don't get to know me better any time soon :rolleyes:... Especially when the speedo turns RED

17. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

Too funny, I cant wait to see the plate. Oh gawd, you are asking for trouble, :eek: I just noticed the P90DL

18. Tech_Guy

Yea its Ludicrous thats for sure, using the powertools app I think my car pulls the most KW on the forum currently, I'm getting 511KW when I floor it vs the older P90DL getting 456KW, seems like these aren't just refreshed front ends on these cars also new battery packs that produce more power :D

19. NikeWings

NikeWings Member

That'll be me flashing my LEDs as I pass by, while CHP is flashing its baby blues on you!

• Funny x 1
  20. MCRed

MCRed Member

The cars look bada$$. Don't mean to be a buzzkill, but I was planning to wrap my new Model S as well, and I was told by the Tesla Tech Dept, that they do not recommend wrapping cars with the Autopilot enabled. The wrap can interfere with the short-range sensors of the Autopilot and parking assist. Looks like you have wrapped the front trim under the frunk and that's where the sensors are. So let us know how the Autopilot works with the wrap.