Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Speculating here but has anyone tried different offset wheels than the OEMs to solve for the vibration?

A friend who’s running the OEM 19” drove my car recently and said my handling was way better than his. Yes I have aftermarket brake rotors and different offset 20” wheels (flush with the fenders) and have lost 12 - 15 lb per corner.

Reason I’m bringing this up is “resonance”. By changing offset you’re disrupting weight distance from whatever is vibrating.

I only ran the 19” on my car for the first 500 miles and I sorta remember the yoke shuddering when I’d accelerate even normally for brief periods and then it’d go away.

Last edited:
Speculating here but has anyone tried different offset wheels than the OEMs to solve for the vibration?

A friend who’s running the OEM 19” drove my car recently and said my handling was way better than his. Yes I have aftermarket brake rotors and different offset wheels (flush with the fenders) and have lost 12 - 15 lb per corner.

Reason I’m bringing this up is “resonance”. By changing offset you’re disrupting weight distance from whatever is vibrating.

Changing oem21 to 285/35r20 square on 20x10 with +40 offset. It does reduce it slightly but could be the ps4 all season tires and more sidewall .

Have you tried turning off Active Road Noise Reduction? Just to rule that out... It does weird stuff with road noise.
Tested today with active road noise reduction off no change in the hum/grow at higher speeds. I did try the medium suspension setting to see if there was a difference in the 38-41 mph vibration. It was gone. I’ll do more testing tomorrow. Setting back to low and it came back.

MSLR 2022 march build date

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
Tested today with active road noise reduction off no change in the hum/grow at higher speeds. I did try the medium suspension setting to see if there was a difference in the 38-41 mph vibration. It was gone. I’ll do more testing tomorrow. Setting back to low and it came back.

MSLR 2022 march build date
Interesting. Also interesting you mention a 38-41mph vibration. Mine vibrates from around 35mph to around 50mph. Your range is realllllly tight.

Questions:

Has anyone hooked up a OBDLinkMX+ and ScanMyT3SLA to see what’s going on during the vibration and what changes when you switch to rear bias in Track mode (to turn vibration off)?

This would be a true scientific test with useful data.

Who here will do it for us???

Reactions: WilliamG
Questions:

Has anyone hooked up a OBDLinkMX+ and ScanMyT3SLA to see what’s going on during the vibration and what changes when you switch to rear bias in Track mode (to turn vibration off)?

This would be a true scientific test with useful data.

Who here will do it for us???
I might have one of the old bluetooth ELM adapters from my 2016 S, but I think I need to find a new adapter cable to plug it in.

Reactions: Eclipso
Picked up my S Plaid 6 weeks ago. Noticed from pretty much day 1 a vibration at roughly the speeds described here. I feel it primarily in the accelerator but also slightly in the Yoke. It seems like it is just when I first set off in the morning as I fairly gently (at least as far as Plaid metrics are concerned) accelerate up starting in the mid 30's up into the low 40's. The vibration is more like gear sprockets rubbing or bearings rubbing than out of balance. Or maybe a catch/release sensation of moving past a series of magnets. The vibration has "soft edges" if you will, not click click click .. . It is a rapid vibration that would have a waveform that is more sine like than spiked and is at maybe 30 Hz or maybe a bit higher. It is easily felt by me, I have not had passengers notice, but don't often have passengers. It is not severe and I don't hear anything, just feel it. Is this the same thing others are experiencing? The car is stock and I have it set to Sport Handling and Plaid acceleration. I haven't tried changing those settings.

Thanks for comments and look forward to joining the community. FYI, they also delivered my car with no floor matts and no trunk cover deck. It had the goo on the window, a broken driver side map light and a handle that retracted too deep. Also, the center console where the letters PRND are supposed to be hidden when not lit could be partially seen, just half of each of the last two letters. Fixed all that stuff, have not asked about the vibration. It would be hard to demonstrate since it is intermittent.

Picked up my S Plaid 6 weeks ago. Noticed from pretty much day 1 a vibration at roughly the speeds described here. I feel it primarily in the accelerator but also slightly in the Yoke. It seems like it is just when I first set off in the morning as I fairly gently (at least as far as Plaid metrics are concerned) accelerate up starting in the mid 30's up into the low 40's. The vibration is more like gear sprockets rubbing or bearings rubbing than out of balance. Or maybe a catch/release sensation of moving past a series of magnets. The vibration has "soft edges" if you will, not click click click .. . It is a rapid vibration that would have a waveform that is more sine like than spiked and is at maybe 30 Hz or maybe a bit higher. It is easily felt by me, I have not had passengers notice, but don't often have passengers. It is not severe and I don't hear anything, just feel it. Is this the same thing others are experiencing? The car is stock and I have it set to Sport Handling and Plaid acceleration. I haven't tried changing those settings.

Thanks for comments and look forward to joining the community. FYI, they also delivered my car with no floor matts and no trunk cover deck. It had the goo on the window, a broken driver side map light and a handle that retracted too deep. Also, the center console where the letters PRND are supposed to be hidden when not lit could be partially seen, just half of each of the last two letters. Fixed all that stuff, have not asked about the vibration. It would be hard to demonstrate since it is intermittent.
The start-up vibration when driving the car for the first time that session is well noted on 2022s (not 2021s, for some reason). The other (more persistent) vibration is noted on both 2021 and 2022s at ~35-50mph under very gentle acceleration/load. This can be demonstrated repeatedly.

Reactions: jebinc