Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t imagine anybody making a purchase decision based on this minor vibration. I have it and 99.99% of the time I don’t notice it at all. And when I do notice it doesn’t even register a shoulder shrug.

The car is a blast to drive, and I would feel like an idiot denying myself this much pleasure over this minor vibration.

The shifting from the screen is more annoying — when the auto shift doesn’t get it right.

Life is full of trade offs and the vibration is an extremely minor one —- which most people won’t even notice.

Last edited:
I can’t imagine anybody making a purchase decision based on this minor vibration. I have it and 99.99% of the time I don’t notice it at all. And when I do notice it doesn’t even register a shoulder shrug.

The car is a blast to drive, and I would feel like an idiot denying myself this much pleasure over this minor vibration.

The shifting from the screen is more annoying — when the auto shift doesn’t get it right.

Life is full of trade offs and the vibration is an extremely minor one —- which most people won’t even notice.

Yeah. It's one of those annoyances that you don't really expect for a car costing really any amount, but especially for this much money. Also the squeaks and creaks. I'm still trying to get those resolved, after 10 service visits....

Reactions: jebinc

“To each,” of course. While prices for a MS are much less than I paid, back in 2021, I don’t think a car costing over $100k should have a front end vibration that the OEM calls, “normal” and refuses to address….

Last edited:
“To each,” of course. While prices for a MS are much less than I paid, back in 2021, I don’t think a car costing over $100k should have a front end vibration that the OEM calls, “normal” and refuses to address….
I don’t disagree with anything you wrote except that it is irrelevant to my point which you didn’t seem to understand

I was replying more to your compulsion to downvote of my earlier post on the matter. No worries, all good. Enjoy your vibration and I will continue to disapprove of Tesla’s handling of the matter.
I disagreed with your claim that the vibration should give one pause in purchasing the car.

There are all sorts of things that are imperfect about the MS and merit disapproval. But you didn't just say disapprove, you said it should give one pause in buying the car. So really, one should consider getting, what, an EQS? a Lucid?, a Model 3? instead of the MS because of a barely perceptible vibration between 40 and 50?

I just want to make sure potential buyers reading this thread have another view that while this in an imperfection, and we can disapprove of how Tesla handles it, there is no way it rises to the level of consider-driving-something-else-instead.

Another data point. I realize I notice it only when I wear leather-soled (i.e., a thin sole) dress shoe, but not when I wear boots or sneakers or other rubber soled shoe -- that is how imperceptible it is to me.

There are all sorts of things that are imperfect about the MS and merit disapproval. But you didn't just say disapprove, you said it should give one pause in buying the car. So really, one should consider getting, what, an EQS? a Lucid?, a Model 3? instead of the MS because of a barely perceptible vibration between 40 and 50?

I just want to make sure potential buyers reading this thread have another view that while this in an imperfection, and we can disapprove of how Tesla handles it, there is no way it rises to the level of consider-driving-something-else

My understanding is that the refresh mid-speed vibration continues to get worse over time and that it expands the speed range at which it occurs. How much worse is this going to be at 50k mi on the clock or 100k mi? I honestly wouldn’t recommend any AWD Model S just due the unresolved acceleration shudder. Yes I know the shudder is resolvable w lowering links but I value ground clearance.

Now Tesla offers us the “new improved MS” with not one but TWO unresolved vibrations for $100 grand or more.

Yes each to their own, but for me, no thanks.

BTW I just took my money for that refresh MS and bought a Rivian SUV. About two months in and after years without a proper 4x4 I’m pretty stoked on it.

Last edited:
Good luck with your Rivian

With Rivian, that’s where the problem lies. Rivian has been packing this “interface” with heavy grease to mitigate the slop between parts. With Rivian, it’s not vibration brought on by loose tolerances between mating parts, but rather “tocking” when starting or stopping. Like this vibration issue, some have it and some don’t

and see https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/strange-sensations-accelerator-pedal-vibrations.7807/

and something similar for just about every other car

In my 2021 Taycan, I get motor whine with ever so slight vibration at exactly 38mph and it immediately stops when I reach 43mph. I know these are 2 different cars with different parts but I found it coincidental that my experience occurs during the same mph interval as what you guys are experiencing.

Last edited:
My understanding is that the refresh mid-speed vibration continues to get worse over time and that it expands the speed range at which it occurs. How much worse is this going to be at 50k mi on the clock or 100k mi? I honestly wouldn’t recommend any AWD Model S just due the unresolved acceleration shudder. Yes I know the shudder is resolvable w lowering links but I value ground clearance.

Now Tesla offers us the “new improved MS” with not one but TWO unresolved vibrations for $100 grand or more.

Yes each to their own, but for me, no thanks.

BTW I just took my money for that refresh MS and bought a Rivian SUV. About two months in and after years without a proper 4x4 I’m pretty stoked on it.

Hear, hear.... I used to have three Tesla's and now just down to one... the vibrating Plaid (due to not wanting to take a massive 60% depreciation hit). I too, purchased a Rivian R1T (Oct 22) and regularly walk past the Plaid to get into the R1T. And I do mean, "regularly".

Even with well over 800HP, and four drive units, this high power EV has ZERO drivetrain vibration in any conditions or at any speed. Nice work, Rivian!
@WilliamG

IMG_6975.jpeg

IMG_6974.jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck with your Rivian

and see https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/strange-sensations-accelerator-pedal-vibrations.7807/

and something similar for just about every other car

Interesting. It does seem like some high power EV's (but not Rivian) have these problems and OEM's have yet to figure out the root cause and fix. All the more reason to avoid these high power TVs, until they mature and issues like these are resolved. As I said many times now, "to each".... YOMV.

Last edited:
Hear, hear.... I used to have three Tesla's and now just down to the vibrating Plaid (due to not wanting to take a massive 60% depreciation hit). I too, purchased a Rivian R1T (Oct 22) and regularly walk past the Plaid to get into the R1T. And I do mean, "regularly".

View attachment 928344

View attachment 928345
Looks nice! I don't know what I'd do with a truck. I think if I bought a second EV, I would get the Jeep EV, if it ever comes out. I would be interested in truly silent off-roading.

The Plaid purring at 40 mph seems more tolerable than the Rivian "tocking"...See the poll they are doing...

They have 17 pages. I wonder who is ahead on car unit sales per forum posts re sensory anomalies.
I don’t want any new vibrations or noises from my car. If I have to choose I can’t really say which I’d prefer because I haven’t experienced either in person. Because I spend much longer periods of time at moderate speeds vs very low speeds I might take the low speed Rivian knock. Just watched Kyle reproduce the knock on the Out of Spec YouTube video. He discusses and demonstrates the Rivian knock (at 22:15 in this video).

Unfortunately I have yet to find a video showing this moderate speed MS vibration sound so I don’t know how annoying it might be. Thankfully my Rivian is nice and quiet for the time being and I hope it stays this way.

The Plaid purring at 40 mph seems more tolerable than the Rivian "tocking"...See the poll they are doing...

They have 17 pages. I wonder who is ahead on car unit sales per forum posts re sensory anomalies.
Please move on (to a new topic), and put to an end your continuous “shilling” for Tesla and Elon, re this well known and well documented situation. Thank you.

Many have already told you, “to each,” and “YOMV” - and yet, you continue to state your opinion over and over again or try to undermine the opposing opinion. These cars (90%+ of them) vibrate, from day 1 or develop the vibration after some time. Fact.

Oh, re the Rivian “tock”…. Unless like your fav, Tesla, Rivian does not claim it’s “normal” and tell customers to go “F” off with a smile. Also, unlike Telsa, the “tock” is not present on most/all vehicles. Mine never had the tock either, however, when I brought the truck in for other service, they “proactively” changed some bolts, retorqued and greased whatever could cause a tock - “proactively,” is not in the Tesla or Charlatan’s (Elon) playbook.

No need to reply as I’m sure members will upvote or downvote this or your prior posts appropriately so.

@WilliamG

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
I don’t want any new vibrations or noises from my car. If I have to choose I can’t really say which I’d prefer because I haven’t experienced either in person. Because I spend much longer periods of time at moderate speeds vs very low speeds I might take the low speed Rivian knock. Just watched Kyle reproduce the knock on the Out of Spec YouTube video. He discusses and demonstrates the Rivian knock (at 22:15 in this video).

Unfortunately I have yet to find a video showing this moderate speed MS vibration sound so I don’t know how annoying it might be. Thankfully my Rivian is nice and quiet for the time being and I hope it stays this way.

There are at least three, many page threads, on this site discussing this and the other two vibrations most of these cars have.