Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not surprised at all.
I suspect the new S/W did do something to address the vibration issue, as in my case there's a very notable difference in recent months. However, it is possible that it only works if the hardware hasn't been damaged too much from previous drives.

I mean, we know with brand new replaced half-shafts the car is vibration free...for the first few weeks. So something is definitely stressing the shafts. Perhaps for some cars the condition of the shaft is stable enough where a SW change could make a difference. But in some other cases perhaps the shafts (and whatever else) are too far gone to be saved?

One good data point to have would be for someone to have his/her half-shafts replaced, and see how long/if ever the vibration comes back on 2022.36 or above.

I suspect the new S/W did do something to address the vibration issue, as in my case there's a very notable difference in recent months. However, it is possible that it only works if the hardware hasn't been damaged too much from previous drives.

I mean, we know with brand new replaced half-shafts the car is vibration free...for the first few weeks. So something is definitely stressing the shafts. Perhaps for some cars the condition of the shaft is stable enough where a SW change could make a difference. But in some other cases perhaps the shafts (and whatever else) are too far gone to be saved?

One good data point to have would be for someone to have his/her half-shafts replaced, and see how long/if ever the vibration comes back on 2022.36 or above.
I’d be pretty much willing to bet the software thus far has had no effect. Some people have had shafts replaced and the problem is worse from day 1, too. No real rhyme or reason.

nothing is causing stress that would damage components at steady state 40mph driving

No LRs? Really?
MSLR 2022, Vin ending 2429. Vibration all the time. SC has blamed my tires, wheel balance (both brand new, never launched). They claimed my PS4's on Arachnids had 'extreme feathering and shifted belts' after only 7,000km of wear. So put winter 19's on new winter wheels, fully road force balanced. Vibration is less but still persistently annoying at all speeds. My earlier MS never had this, neither did my Taycan. This is - as this thread confirms, a recent issue. I took it back to the SC and now they tell me the vibration is 'normal' for these cars. Hard to accept this. I will try with different ht suspension to see if that resolves anything. Love the car, hate this issue.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
MSLR 2022, Vin ending 2429. Vibration all the time. SC has blamed my tires, wheel balance (both brand new, never launched). They claimed my PS4's on Arachnids had 'extreme feathering and shifted belts' after only 7,000km of wear. So put winter 19's on new winter wheels, fully road force balanced. Vibration is less but still persistently annoying at all speeds. My earlier MS never had this, neither did my Taycan. This is - as this thread confirms, a recent issue. I took it back to the SC and now they tell me the vibration is 'normal' for these cars. Hard to accept this. I will try with different ht suspension to see if that resolves anything. Love the car, hate this issue.
Actually, this vibration isn't all the time and isn't at all speeds. IT's only between 40-50 mph, and under light acceleration. It will go away completely in track mode with rear torque bias. You might have a different issue.

Reactions: bhzmark
Actually, this vibration isn't all the time and isn't at all speeds. IT's only between 40-50 mph, and under light acceleration. It will go away completely in track mode with rear torque bias. You might have a different issue.
For me it’s 38mph and up to any speed. I suspect it’s the same for everyone but road noise and surface masks it above 50-ish mph. I can feel it well above 50.

You will see other threads on this. don't let service tell you its normal, its not......although its not on all cars.

• Funny
You will see other threads on this. don't let service tell you its normal, its not......although its not on all cars.
My recommended response to Tesla Service if they tell you it’s “normal” is be something like this:

“If the car didn’t have a vibration when I test drove it but instead develops it after delivery then it’s NOT normal, it’s a defect. It is negatively impacting my driving and ownership experience.” The latter came from a Tesla service advisor.

• Funny
My recommended response to Tesla Service if they tell you it’s “normal” is be something like this:

“If the car didn’t have a vibration when I test drove it but instead develops it after delivery then it’s NOT normal, it’s a defect. It is negatively impacting my driving and ownership experience.” The latter came from a Tesla service advisor.
That's great, but how many of us got to test drive a refreshed Model S before taking delivery 😂

• Funny
And I point out 17,000+ miles without a hint of vibration at any speed

Your profile indicates 8/27 delivery. Can you confirm this is 8/27/2022?

If so maybe Tesla has solved actually the vibration on its newer builds with some different parts. 17K on the odometer with no vibration is promising.

Does anyone know how to determine maybe via a parts manual or some other method if a late summer build has any different parts than earlier builds that are known to commonly vibrate at moderate speeds and beyond?

For me it’s 38mph and up to any speed. I suspect it’s the same for everyone but road noise and surface masks it above 50-ish mph. I can feel it well above 50.

At 58k miles, it is still present at approx. 35-45mph during light acceleration. The severity has decreased with an update but still present. The 20" pilot sport all season had less than the OEM 21". Tire pressure can also make the feeling different. I do not think it actually changes the vibration - it just translates differently to the road and feel.

Well documented at the SC for mine and the SC has documented that they have witnessed it. They stated it is not normal but the Engineering is still working to correct.