Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Refreshed" Model S model VIBRATION tracking and information thread!!!

What version of "Refreshed" Model S do you drive?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a September, 21 plaid with 19 inch wheels. I have had no vibration issues since delivery.
Other issues mostly resolved.
I am transferring FSD & trading it
for a ‘23 ultra red plan within the next two weeks or so just waiting for the VIN.
I was hoping that most of these early production issues had been resolved. After reading many recent posts in this thread…
Having more concerns.
Feel free to chime in if you just took delivery of a plaid model S
Sounds risky. You might want to hold onto the Plaid you have that does not vibrate...

Agreed. No reports of replacing them fixing the issue.

However, it still seems like the half shafts are the problem, since the vibration goes away after replacement, but then comes back. And because lowering the car mitigates the vibration. Likely a design flaw in the half shafts. There's too much play in the system and it resonates when the CV joints are bent to extreme angles. Reducing the angles or tightening the tolerances in the shafts would likely fix the issue. Or perhaps padding the joints with more grease. Someone reported that helped.

It is also related to manufacturing tolerances on the car, since some cars don't have the vibrations. I guess their motors are located just a bit lower, due to how their frame was pressed, etc.

Another fix idea. Some shims on the motors. I don't know how the subframe is mounted, but maybe there's room to shim the subframe / motor to lower the drive unit down. I'm just throwing out some free fixes for Tesla here, to save them some $$ before they have to buy back my car.

Btw. Has anyone traded in their Plaid and received a new one that doesn't have the vibration?
Clearly the universal joints in the half-shafts are operating at too high an angle. Of the "fixes" you propose, I agree the ultimate solution is a redesign of the front drive system that starts with lowering the drive unit and includes tighter tolerance needle bearings in the half-shaft universal joints.

I have a September, 21 plaid with 19 inch wheels. I have had no vibration issues since delivery.
Other issues mostly resolved.
I am transferring FSD & trading it
for a ‘23 ultra red plan within the next two weeks or so just waiting for the VIN.
I was hoping that most of these early production issues had been resolved. After reading many recent posts in this thread…
Having more concerns.
Feel free to chime in if you just took delivery of a plaid model S
oh god, don't do it! You might end up with vibrations, then you won't be able to get them fixed! You may also get the vibration between 40-50 mph at the start of trips, and the vibration at 80+ mph.

However, it still seems like the half shafts are the problem, since the vibration goes away after replacement, but then comes back. And because lowering the car mitigates the vibration. Likely a design flaw in the half shafts. There's too much play in the system and it resonates when the CV joints are bent to extreme angles. Reducing the angles or tightening the tolerances in the shafts would likely fix the issue. Or perhaps padding the joints with more grease. Someone reported that helped.

It is also related to manufacturing tolerances on the car, since some cars don't have the vibrations. I guess their motors are located just a bit lower, due to how their frame was pressed, etc.

Another fix idea. Some shims on the motors. I don't know how the subframe is mounted, but maybe there's room to shim the subframe / motor to lower the drive unit down. I'm just throwing out some free fixes for Tesla here, to save them some $$ before they have to buy back my car.

Btw. Has anyone traded in their Plaid and received a new one that doesn't have the vibration?
They all vibrate, eventually - even the brand new ones. This based on reports of people with brand new cars reporting the same vibration. Tesla just doesn’t give a ratz ass about low volume models.

Lowering does not mitigate the vibration.

The fact that the vibration develops some time after new driveshafts suggests the shafts are warping from another issue, not an intrinsic issue of the shaft.

I’m 100% convinced that tesla’s stance is to not admit any defect and sweep this under the rug until the customer gives up and goes away. I don’t think tesla has any interest in being Porsche. They want to be ford, gm pushing high volumes of trash.

• Love
Reactions: aerodyne and jebinc
Lowering does not mitigate the vibration.

The fact that the vibration develops some time after new driveshafts suggests the shafts are warping from another issue, not an intrinsic issue of the shaft.

I’m 100% convinced that tesla’s stance is to not admit any defect and sweep this under the rug until the customer gives up and goes away. I don’t think tesla has any interest in being Porsche. They want to be ford, gm pushing high volumes of trash.

My 2023 MSP was doing the day I picked it up with 10 miles on it (80-95 mph vibration). So not something related to it breaking down

What I have trouble reconciling is that if it's a half shaft issue why does it only happen at 40mph. Why not 20mph? Lowering the car makes no difference with my car. Replacing the shafts does not see to fix the problem.

I think it is a resonance issue with the motor at that specific rpm and level of acceleration.

New to this thread as it looks highly likely I’ll be taking delivery soon. Can someone tell me if this vibrating issue is mainly a sensation or is it clearly audible as well? If it’s loud, that would be considerably more of a problem IMO
It's audible if you absolutely know what to listen for and the cabin is silent on a smoother road. A passenger is unlikely to notice. It's a resonance more than anything else, but you'll feel it through the accelerator pedal and yoke. I do not feel it through the floor.

What I have trouble reconciling is that if it's a half shaft issue why does it only happen at 40mph. Why not 20mph? Lowering the car makes no difference with my car. Replacing the shafts does not see to fix the problem.

I think it is a resonance issue with the motor at that specific rpm and level of acceleration.
To me it feels very similar to a vibration
New to this thread as it looks highly likely I’ll be taking delivery soon. Can someone tell me if this vibrating issue is mainly a sensation or is it clearly audible as well? If it’s loud, that would be considerably more of a problem IMO
Its very subtle and won’t be noticeable to passengers. However, it will be something you as a driver always notice and wonder why exists.

Reactions: jebinc
Don't do it. Buy used where you can test drive and check for the vibration. It won't show up until you drive several thousand miles, then you'll have to fight to do a lemon law buyback, since Tesla can't fix it.

Reactions: Warbird and jebinc

But it seems to be an issue on both the LR and the Plaid, which have different motors.
I came back to this thread hoping to find the vibration issue had been fixed. I had a ‘22 SLR that I sold when the market was on fire. I never noticed an issue with that one. I’m finding I miss that car, and have been thinking about another. Maybe even a Plaid this time since prices are getting more reasonable. But I’m not going to spend that kind of money if there’s still a risk of the unfixable vibration.

Last edited: