Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully the final update to this. Had the rear bolsters replaced on January 2nd. It was not more than 10 minutes after the mobile service, I took a drive and noticed the rattle was not resolved.

New service appointment for today and a new ride along tech. This time, a shop manager. We drove along, he heard it immediately and started fiddling as I drove. Put the seats down and rattle disappears. He goes ‘drive us back and I will fix this in ten seconds’. Well alright buddy.

We get back and he goes in and comes back with a HAMMER. He mashes (maybe dramatic, but hit them with some good force) the striker from the bottom up (north). Turns out, per him, the strikers are installed at 90° and the latches are not. So by nature, they are not flush. Which this forum has proven over and over.

He says he told engineering over and over they need to adjust the angle and plastic dip the striker.

Was a surprisingly involved and informative visit. And the rattles gone. So those with foam and tape, give this a try. At your own will.
Seriously, where did he hit?

Fixed my 21 MS Plaid
Clips were broken
CC1E9322-6EE2-4BDD-B33B-6334E3C502B2.jpeg

Reactions: Maaz
Hah thanks! I have ptsd from all the bolster clips Tesla broke on my 2021…

View attachment 895683
View attachment 895684

The service manual (Not that Service reads it) tells you to remove the bolster by pulling fwd.

That will break the clip for sure. Possibly the slot in the bolster. I got both broken by Mobile, see attached.

Need to pull the bolster sideways, so the clip slides out of the bolster. New clip slides and rotates into the bolster slot, then install bolster.

As you go further into the trunk trim, you may find missing rivets, pins, locators and such. Just don't go there unless you have to.

Attachments

• IMG_20220910_154103511~2.jpg
    IMG_20220910_154103511~2.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: WilliamG
The service manual (Not that Service reads it) tells you to remove the bolster by pulling fwd.

That will break the clip for sure. Possibly the slot in the bolster. I got both broken by Mobile, see attached.

Need to pull the bolster sideways, so the clip slides out of the bolster. New clip slides and rotates into the bolster slot, then install bolster.

As you go further into the trunk trim, you may find missing rivets, pins, locators and such. Just don't go there unless you have to.
Yep, was there several times with my 2021. I was pretty appalled by the way they treated those rear bolsters. One of them was broken when I guess they were trying to fix the charge port antenna shenanigans and had to remove a bunch of wall carpeting. I'm not even sure anymore, - all a bit hazy. I did watch one of the techs yank the bolster and break another clip, though. I almost yelled at him. Thankfully they had more on hand at the service center, and it was a quick fix. But jeez, you'd think these techs would know better...

Reactions: TSLA Pilot
Yep, was there several times with my 2021. I was pretty appalled by the way they treated those rear bolsters. One of them was broken when I guess they were trying to fix the charge port antenna shenanigans and had to remove a bunch of wall carpeting. I'm not even sure anymore, - all a bit hazy. I did watch one of the techs yank the bolster and break another clip, though. I almost yelled at him. Thankfully they had more on hand at the service center, and it was a quick fix. But jeez, you'd think these techs would know better...

Maybe it's easier for them to break a clip and replace it, than doing it the right way.

Unfortunately, you can damage the slot for the clip in the bolster also, as I showed in a pic I posted today.

Harder for us, that have to wait and beg for weeks to get a part.

Finally got my new charge port door assy, only 90 bucks! Of course, should have been free, but cant put a price on doing it yourself and knowing it's done right.

Reactions: WilliamG
finally decided to take mine in yesterday for this same thing and they're having to keep the vehicle for repair.. The tech, whos only been there for 5 months, had no issues hearing the rattle/knock in both seat positions(up or down).
This is my first time dealing with service center other than just picking up a part and it was pretty irritating. The tech that came on the ride with me didn't bother cleaning his hands and left smudge marks all over my cream back seats. Told this the the maintenance advisor and he assured me that the techs will wipe it all off before taking receipt of the vehicle.

finally decided to take mine in yesterday for this same thing and they're having to keep the vehicle for repair.. The tech, whos only been there for 5 months, had no issues hearing the rattle/knock in both seat positions(up or down).
This is my first time dealing with service center other than just picking up a part and it was pretty irritating. The tech that came on the ride with me didn't bother cleaning his hands and left smudge marks all over my cream back seats. Told this the the maintenance advisor and he assured me that the techs will wipe it all off before taking receipt of the vehicle.
Let us know how they fix it. Mine continue to drive me nuts.

One advantage to Mobile Service is you can give them gloves, rags, solvents, hold flashlights, provide parts trays, spare rivets, 3M tape and clips they forgot to bring, have the SM up so they know what to do, check for tools left behind, and note when they break things. It's true that they often fail to correct the problem they came out for, but at least you find that out right away.

In short, you avoid the drive to the SvC, and having your expectations dashed on arrival, or on your driveway the next day, plus another visit or two to the SvC.

Ask me how I know, or look at the pic below:

Attachments

• IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    IMG_20221009_082004882.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 100
1500 miles on my car and I pick it up today from having PPF and tint installed and immediately hear this loud rattle coming from the back. Looks like I'm in for a good rabbit chase. Will drop my seat on the way home to see if I'm having the same seat rattle issue, but at stop at Home Depot may have just been added to my commute. I really didn't appreciate just how much of an issue build quality is with this company.

Not necessarily the rear seat rattle. But I have discovered my passenger seat, when set to a specific spot on the rails (forwards and backwards), it will rattle endlessly. If I move it backwards, it stops. Goes from 0 to 100. No middle ground. Just annoyed.