Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Model S - rear seat rattle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the rattle too. When I lay the back seat flat, it goes away. So clearly it’s the latch. A thought I had. Instead of tape on the ‘u’ bolt, what about heat shrink tubing? It’s rubber so I assume a bit more resistant? Thoughts?
You might also want to be sure your rear seat head rest isn't loose. Today I wiggled it to be sure it was secure and found it a bit loose. I raised it up and forcefully lowered it. The looseness went away. It's an easy adjustment that's worth a try.

Came here to find how everyone else was dealing with the rattle. After reading through your solutions it dawned on me that I could try something thicker than electrical tape. I had purchased a 1" x 10 foot roll of self-fusing silicon tape from Amazon for other purposes.
I cut a length less than 3" long. It's .5 mm thick, so it takes very few wraps around the U-bolt. It has been working great for weeks now. Still no rattles, and no adhesive mess in the summer heat. Seat latches and unlatches easily. Thank you all.

Reactions: NeuroRad
Came here to find how everyone else was dealing with the rattle. After reading through your solutions it dawned on me that I could try something thicker than electrical tape. I had purchased a 1" x 10 foot roll of self-fusing silicon tape from Amazon for other purposes.
I cut a length less than 3" long. It's .5 mm thick, so it takes very few wraps around the U-bolt. It has been working great for weeks now. Still no rattles, and no adhesive mess in the summer heat. Seat latches and unlatches easily. Thank you all.
Link to the tape?

Reactions: WilliamG
Link or it didn't happen!

Sorry, Hope this link works.

• Helpful
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
One way to deal with the rattle is to have your service center fix it under warranty. It’s a known issue, and I just had had mine done. They replaced the latch mechanism on the drivers side and the entire seat back on the passenger (as that side is an integrated unit). No more rattles.

One way to deal with the rattle is to have your service center fix it under warranty. It’s a known issue, and I just had had mine done. They replaced the latch mechanism on the drivers side and the entire seat back on the passenger (as that side is an integrated unit). No more rattles.
Thanks. I haven't had any luck with my service center. I have brought it in for three different issues, and not one of the issues was resolved.

Reactions: aerodyne
May you provide an image of this?
IMG_0289.png

Haven’t needed to replace or change anything since November. A week ago I flipped the foam blocks I cut and stuffed inside the latch upside down and that’s it.

View attachment 965363
Haven’t needed to replace or change anything since November. A week ago I flipped the foam blocks I cut and stuffed inside the latch upside down and that’s it.
Thanks for the product info. Are you able to share an image of it installed? I am having a difficult time visualizing this. From what I understand this goes around the U shaped latch that is not attached to the seat and then you just close the seat on it? Does the seat ever get jammed or stuck? Sorry, maybe I am way off on how this is supposed to be installed.