TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Refreshed P90DL Tire Traction

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by DoctorMace, Jun 14, 2016.

1. DoctorMace

DoctorMace Member

I am like a giddy child with my new baby for the past 2 weeks. I drove a P85D without ludicrous and it was FAST.... but wow the ludicrous is crazy. When "punching it" the biggest limitation is tire traction/grip. I haven't tried to take of traction control and I personally do not wish to...

I searched the forums and I found many threads regarding tires but most are related to wear/tread loss. I am curious if anyone has any insight as to their experience with tires for better grip.

2. Vegas

Vegas Member

Considering 762 horsepower is being transferred through four small patches of rubber on the road; Tesla’s traction control is 2nd to none, in my opinion. I’ve got Michelin Super Pilots on and I run 40 psi (cold). I haven’t tried any other tyres but these seem to hold fairly well under Ludicrous conditions. Having said that they seem a bit noisy on the highway where apparently Continentals are quieter. Not sure how they compare with grip though. (Ludicrous still makes me smile every time!)

3. animorph

animorph Member

The Michelin Pilot Super Sports were the last tires I had on my Porsche Carrera 4 less than a year ago. Noticeably better grip than the Pilot PS2's they replaced. I believe that's about as good as it gets unless you want to get a track tire with much less tread life. I used to get Yamaha A1R's (I think that was it) long ago on another Porsche. They were fantastic, but only lasted about 3000 miles.

4. H2OU

H2OU Member

5. Vegas

Vegas Member

Enjoy it H2OU. That Ludicrous smile is had to get rid of!!

6. H2OU

H2OU Member

This is by far the fastest car I've ever driven! "Ludicrous" is the best way to put it!

7. linkster

linkster Member

PLEEZE stop posting on this thread as it is driving me (classic owner) crazy jealous.:):)

Enjoy your very quick amazing ludi machines y'all!:)

Love Vegas's blue!!!

• Funny x 1