Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refreshed Tesla Model X issues: frozen camera, brake fault, high voltage system fault, etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This proves that Tesla doesn't have a clear action list in response to the issue. Lucky owners are getting new computers, and other people are just waiting for miraculous firmware updates.

The best advice I can give is to help them debug the issue remotely. Help them help you. This was my approach and it is well worth the effort.

I created a service ticket via the app detailing all the crazy things that were going on once the car ran for a while, got warm and supercharged.

I then reproduced the issue driving for a while / supercharging. Once I had the issue, I rebooted the car and waited for internet to come back up (internet is required to file bug report). I then submitted a Bug Report via voice command. My voice command was something like “bug report various false pop up errors during charging. Had to reboot again”. You’ll know if report was filed successfully as you’ll get a “Thank you for report” message on main dash.

After submitting bug report from car, I added a message to my SC appointment in the app detailing what happened and letting them know I filed a bug report. A bug report is Flagged in the car logs that remotes support can find easily.

I did this at least 6 times during my trips. I ultimately got a message back via the app thanking me for my bug reports. I have attached image.

Remote support ordered a new computer and my SC appointment was changed to a date after which the computer was set to arrive.

When I dropped off my car, it literally took 2 minutes. The SA looked at my account and said, “I see we are changing out your car computer. It has arrived. We’ll contact you when complete”.

The other advice I would add is to be polite and helpful. Don’t act like your an expert and know more than they do. It’s not received well, ever.

Attachments

• 1881E899-F8B8-4AF2-83FC-A02F9AC505A4.png
    1881E899-F8B8-4AF2-83FC-A02F9AC505A4.png
    346.3 KB · Views: 70
The best advice I can give is to help them debug the issue remotely. Help them help you. This was my approach and it is well worth the effort.

I created a service ticket via the app detailing all the crazy things that were going on once the car ran for a while, got warm and supercharged.

I then reproduced the issue driving for a while / supercharging. Once I had the issue, I rebooted the car and waited for internet to come back up (internet is required to file bug report). I then submitted a Bug Report via voice command. My voice command was something like “bug report various false pop up errors during charging. Had to reboot again”. You’ll know if report was filed successfully as you’ll get a “Thank you for report” message on main dash.

After submitting bug report from car, I added a message to my SC appointment in the app detailing what happened and letting them know I filed a bug report. A bug report is Flagged in the car logs that remotes support can find easily.

I did this at least 6 times during my trips. I ultimately got a message back via the app thanking me for my bug reports. I have attached image.

Remote support ordered a new computer and my SC appointment was changed to a date after which the computer was set to arrive.

When I dropped off my car, it literally took 2 minutes. The SA looked at my account and said, “I see we are changing out your car computer. It has arrived. We’ll contact you when complete”.

The other advice I would add is to be polite and helpful. Don’t act like your an expert and know more than they do. It’s not received well, ever.
In my case, I did the same, and they insisted that the issue was resolved in a firmware update (it wasn't). Then, they failed to order the computer despite sending me a message that they ordered it. Eventually, they picked up someone else's computer from another service center and wrote: "Ignore your appointment. Don't come at your appointment time. I recommend to work with me directly. Wait until I confirm that I have the new computer." I'm quite shocked by their approach to work.

Last edited:
In my case, I did the same, and they insisted that the issue was resolved in a firmware update (it wasn't). Then, they failed to order the computer despite sending me a message that they ordered it. Eventually, they picked up someone else's computer from another service center and wrote: "Ignore your appointment. Don't come at your appointment time. I recommend to work with me directly. Wait until I confirm that I have the new computer." I'm quite shocked by their approach to work.
You have a HIGHLY antagonistic way of interacting with others, combined with being consistently convinced that you hold absolute truth. These aren't attributes that are going to make interacting with people in the Services industry very easy. Having said that, Tesla Service can be highly inconsistent and infuriating.

You have a HIGHLY antagonistic way of interacting with others, combined with being consistently convinced that you hold absolute truth. These aren't attributes that are going to make interacting with people in the Services industry very easy. Having said that, Tesla Service can be highly inconsistent and infuriating.
In my interpretation, they just didn't like a huge number of other reported problems. All of them were well-documented with exact dates and time, bug reports and, sometimes, pictures. Some of them could be caused by the computer overheating problem. But some were separate - like inability to store the position of tilted mirrors.

Not sure though what they tried to achieve by making the mess with ordering the computer that they wrote they ordered a month ago, but then realized that it hadn't been ordered. Probably, such a mess is normal there - I won't be surprised after all I've seen.

Well, a recall has been issued, and the solution is an OTA software update: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V296-9024.PDF

On May 3, 2022, Tesla began deploying an OTA firmware update that will improve the management of the CPU temperature and associated communications with elevated temperature operation. This remedy will mitigate temperature elevations in the CPU when the vehicle is fast-charging or preparing to fast-charge, which will prevent slow processing or restart.

They say it is fixed in 2022.12.3.3, and newer, as well as 2022.11.101.1, which is probably a factory island firmware version.

It would seem that the problem is while they were heating the battery some of that heat was directed to, or at least made it to, the computer. So it would seem it isn't a problem with the components inside the computer at all.

Well, a recall has been issued, and the solution is an OTA software update: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V296-9024.PDF

They say it is fixed in 2022.12.3.3, and newer, as well as 2022.11.101.1, which is probably a factory island firmware version.

It would seem that the problem is while they were heating the battery some of that heat was directed to, or at least made it to, the computer. So it would seem it isn't a problem with the components inside the computer at all.
The fact is that the issue is also reproducible after long trips without charging.

Reactions: Yoonoo
Recall: Tesla to roll out OTA update to address infotainment system display issue

also Tesla recalls 130,000 vehicles in U.S. over touchscreen display malfunction

WASHINGTON, May 10 (Reuters) - Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) is recalling about 130,000 vehicles in the United States following an overheating issue that may cause the center touchscreen display to malfunction, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) said on Tuesday.

The recall covers Tesla's S and X from the 2021 and 2022 model years and its 3 and Y from the 2022 model year. The electric vehicle maker will provide an over-the-air software update to resolve the issue, according to the NHTSA.

NHTSA report: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2022/RCLRPT-22V296-9024.PDF

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
In my interpretation, they just didn't like a huge number of other reported problems. All of them were well-documented with exact dates and time, bug reports and, sometimes, pictures. Some of them could be caused by the computer overheating problem. But some were separate - like inability to store the position of tilted mirrors.

Not sure though what they tried to achieve by making the mess with ordering the computer that they wrote they ordered a month ago, but then realized that it hadn't been ordered. Probably, such a mess is normal there - I won't be surprised after all I've seen.
When you mix/lump problems together you GIVE them an excuse of playing firmware update card.

The storing mirror position is a separate problem and discussed elsewhere. Probably a software bug. By you bringing that up you set yourself up to fail.

Focus on the major problem and the core symptoms. Don’t get into obvious software bugs with service centers.

When you mix/lump problems together you GIVE them an excuse of playing firmware update card.

The storing mirror position is a separate problem and discussed elsewhere. Probably a software bug. By you bringing that up you set yourself up to fail.

Focus on the major problem and the core symptoms. Don’t get into obvious software bugs with service centers.
Do you recommend to have separate service appointments for critical and other issues to help them process the information?

Not, the same symptoms that the recall lists. (It doesn't list anything about the volume adjusting itself, etc.)
Most of them, including the spontaneous change in the volume, spontaneous honking and spontaneous activation of Summon, occurred after charging and supercharging. But in general, the faults and the backup camera freeze after charging and after long trips without charging are the same. Rare issues like the mentioned above may differ.

Last edited:
Not sure how effective this fix will be. I've seen the issue happen after having the car sit in the sun for a few hours. So it's not just supercharging or pre-conditioning, this happens whenever the car gets hot (and it's not even summer yet).

Very skeptical that this can be completely fixed via software.

Reactions: mr-dmitry
Do you have the fix? Or are you just lying to NHTSA? (How can you know it doesn't fix it if you don't have it and haven't tested it?)
The recall describes a fix that addresses the overheating issue after pre-heating and supercharging. But the issue also occurs after a low-voltage charging and in long trips without charging at all. This is the known fact that I shared with them.

Last edited: