Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refuel 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Exactly right. But the differences in lap time for most of the Tesla drivers aren't that large; they really just need to leave an extra 5 seconds between cars and it wouldn't be a problem. But this would also increase the duration of the TT session by about 5 minutes, which they might not have time for.

at least 10 seconds between many. which is a little, but not a lot. I lagged after 'he' said go knowing that my session2 time was >20 seconds faster than I could run on that track. I guess next time I could be closer to the front of the group maybe and not need to worry about catching someone? need P+ front dampers ;>

passing the Active E (why I3 so ugly?) turns 8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
My post on the SportElectric TT portion of Refuel just went live. There is a large gallery and I think I captured every car as they passed through the corkscrew. If you see yours, and like the pic, I have the raw file and can send them to you for non-profit purposes. (They necessarily have an AOL copyright)

I'll have another post covering the event as a whole coming soon, which will have a separate gallery, with shots from there and other places around the track.

4 of the Tesla company cars
IMG_3491.jpg

Auto X run - just starting to smoke the rears ~ 40+ feet into takeoff....285 PSS on rear!
this is right before the brake point for the first turn

IMG_3543.jpg

Not sure you guys have seen the video below, or if "Vlad" in this video is a forum member, but regardless of the Brammo guy's "blah blah I'm the best" chatter (which you can ignore if you wish), Vlad's #48 White Model S posted a great time at Laguna Seca (1:54.433).

Man, I miss time trial racing on the left coast soooo much (used to race my Evo VIII there). Glad you guys had fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't find it that fast... probably depends where in the parade you were.

I did have some fun though... held back from the guy ahead leading up to the corkscrew and then took it at about 7/10ths. Passengers really enjoyed that!

Not sure what's up with that spin out though. Didn't see it.

Great looking laps, folks. As our 85d will be delivered sometime in the next two weeks, REFUEl 2015 seems like the perfect opportunity to take advantage of our new EV darling.

Registration for the event is somewhat confusing. Is it per car or per person? If we both want to alternate driving etc. Inclusion in the TT is 50$ on top of the overall price, and I think only one of us will do that bit, but we'd both like to drive around the track a bit. Any info from previous attendees/those in the know would be appreciated.

Each driver that wants to drive any race laps needs to register separately. There are many laps with cars passing each other. For the TT, you get the track to yourself to do your best lap time against the clock with no traffic in your way. There is usually a parade lap where a non-registered driver can go around the track (slowly with no passing.)

Ah. Thanks for your response. Are you going? (Whoever else is would love to know too)

Is there a way to register just for the time trial without the passing laps? Anybody else worried about taking their MS into the potential danger of other people trying to pass you?

Unfortunately, I am not going this year.
I think to sign up for TT you need to be registered as a full race driver, and need to attend the early AM driver orientation meeting.
Most people want to get some practice laps in (racing against other cars) to get familiar with the track before doing the TimedTrial.
You could skip all those other sessions, but you wouldn't be as prepared for the TT, and you would miss out on a lot of fun.

In all the years I have gone, I don't think I have seen any cars contact each other. On the other hand, I have seen a few spin out and slide off the track. Going into the gravel is no fun and not good for your car. You could also hit a tire wall if you 'lost it' on the wrong corner. Racing your car on the track is hard on the car, and you are risking having something go wrong. With that said, I think most people come away from the day with a grin on their face and mostly just some heavy tire wear to show for their day. You risk your car every day driving in traffic on the street...

You're absolutely right.. And presumably if most of the other cars on the track are also $70k+ cars, you're better off than in the big world of the public motorway.

just stay on the track and you'll be ok. I bent my right front rim on turn two coming out of it to fast because I missed the late apex line. went pretty deep in the sand and almost took my left side in which would have been baaaad.
was really fun. I want to go again but need to wait a year...maybe strip my car down next time too. I don't think there are rules about removing parts from a production vehicle?:cool:

In all the years I have gone, I don't think I have seen any cars contact each other.
I hope we keep it that way for many years to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there a way to register just for the time trial without the passing laps?
Last year, they ordered the time trial by best lap time from the previous sessions. The theory was that meant that cars wouldn't be holding each other up during the time trial. Unfortunately, the reality was that mechanism was, um, "flawed" and they also didn't generally give enough spacing between cars in the TT (timing constraint?) such that a number of us experienced traffic during the TT.