Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refuel 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah you nailed the line in that vid. I actually rather like 6; you can take it faster than you think because the elevation changes really help turn the car. I think that was the only lap where I screwed it up; turned in too late and missed the apex, but even so the tires weren't being worked that hard. Need to have the balls to brake less!

Power limit is very frustrating. I know it's a street car and all but I'm sure Tesla could loosen the limits a bit. I would rather have brought a Roadster, because it lasts longer.

Here's a pic of me going through the corkscrew, with a red Model S in hot pursuit.

Refuel Cars A Corkscrew ZB__3485-Jul2014.jpg

Kent was in the passenger seat. He stayed remarkably calm, even when I got the tail out.

Is that car behind you one of the 4 wheel drive Model S / X mule vehicles we've heard were there that day? I've yet to see a picture of one of those cars after reading that they were there. It looks taller than you, but it could just be because he's unloaded at the top of the hill and your loading up at the bottom.

Is that car behind you one of the 4 wheel drive Model S / X mule vehicles we've heard were there that day? I've yet to see a picture of one of those cars after reading that they were there. It looks taller than you, but it could just be because he's unloaded at the top of the hill and your loading up at the bottom.
A Tesla rep confirmed the cars with the T on the window were factory cars. Whether it's one of the production models they brought or one of the rumored prototype vehicles, I can't say. Pretty hard to tell, there. He's just coming over the crest, so the suspension is barely loaded. Could be on coil springs, too. There's no real way to tell from that shot.

Here is my lap:

Wish I'd found better placement for my camera, angle sucks, but you can at least partially see the speedometer. TT was also my first mostly clean lap. You can see I caught up to the guy in front of me at the corkscrew. I could have taken a much better line in several of the corners, I also played it safe with my speed, as I never got to push entry into the turns to find my best entry speeds. All and all, not bad for my first time out at the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
We should probably collectively give them the feedback that they need to space out the TT cars more. Lots of people running into traffic apparently.
Definitely. I went back through my pictures after you mentioned it, and it happened at least 4 times from what I saw. There may have been others if a pass occurred before where I was posted up in the final straight.

Presumably they were in a hurry because they packed the run groups so close as track time at Laguna is so expensive. Still, if you hit traffic in a TT, it kind of defeats the entire purpose.

If the drivers were all more equal the spacing would have been fine, but we had a pretty wide variation in skill sets and vehicle speeds.

We should probably collectively give them the feedback that they need to space out the TT cars more. Lots of people running into traffic apparently.

I waited/drove slow from turn 10-11 and let the S in front of me clear the first straight before I got around 11. If I didn't mess up on 2 and didn't do that wait I think I would have caught him or at least been pretty close by the end.
Might need to sign up for the purple group too next time to get a little practice instead of the no-competition auto x.

If the drivers were all more equal the spacing would have been fine, but we had a pretty wide variation in skill sets and vehicle speeds.
The goal is to send the cars out in order of increasing expected lap time, then (barring screw-ups) nobody should see traffic. The problem is that the lap times in the run groups before the TT are not a good predictor of the TT lap time because of the traffic in the run groups.

The goal is to send the cars out in order of increasing expected lap time, then (barring screw-ups) nobody should see traffic. The problem is that the lap times in the run groups before the TT are not a good predictor of the TT lap time because of the traffic in the run groups.

Exactly right. But the differences in lap time for most of the Tesla drivers aren't that large; they really just need to leave an extra 5 seconds between cars and it wouldn't be a problem. But this would also increase the duration of the TT session by about 5 minutes, which they might not have time for.