Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Refused Delivery Today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hoped to have a perfect MY rolling out of the Service Center today. Thanks to this forum, I had my checklist ready, but I had to refuse delivery for something that I didn't expect at all: the paint job. The doors on the driver's side had different shades of white. For a moment, I thought I was crazy, so I asked people standing around, and every one of them confirmed my observation. I was so stunned, I forgot about my checklist. When I pointed out the issue to the SA, he gave me an option to accept the delivery and let Tesla to "make it right," or wait for another delivery, however, he couldn't guarantee that the next car is not going to have the same issue. I guess I will take my chances.

View attachment 554137 View attachment 554138

Thank you for posting this. I was supposed to take delivery today of my white/white AWD (146XX)and declined it cause the paint didn't match.

Attachments

• 20200621_111414.jpg
    20200621_111414.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 119
  • 20200621_111255.jpg
    20200621_111255.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
@vijichamu that's good they caught it; they might be more sensitive to the paint issue now as it was a painful one to experience on my case- they had spot corrected many defects including paying for painting those areas (done in the service center) and was about to hand me back the car last week, only to discover under certain light (bright sun, shop lights, bright LEDs) that the splotchy and non-uniform paint was in many spots and led them to order a thorough repaint of my car through a 3rd-party body shop.

@rxlawdude the paint defect issue on many blue Ys is real- in fact when I dropped off my car for service 2 weeks ago and was waiting in parking lot before I was greeted, I looked at a blue LR Y behind mine to compare condition- that car had already been clear bra'd by a detailer (and there was a "don't wash car" slip on the dash to allow film to dry) and I clearly saw thin paint on the last 5" section of the rear hatch where it looked sky blue instead of dark blue (not a problem on mine); this issue requires a careful eye and favorable/lucky conditions to spot; overcast day might illuminate the issue or if it's sunny, the sun at the right angle. I'm not sure if the unfortunate owner of that Y knew of the issue; after discovering it on mine, I've been staring at all blue Teslas for presence of this characteristic if it's normal or truly a defect; thankfully service discovered, confirmed and took action.

The problematic batch of blue and white Ys is probably still out there, either in their original condition or they were fixed by service and put back in line for delivery; the delayed turnaround time for assigning new blue and white VINs is likely a delay with the painting process (backlogged with many of these cases), which is not just about paint- a Tesla technician needs to reassemble the car too and the Y takes double the time as other Teslas apparently for those door/window trims.. after the repaint was done, and double baked to ensure paint is less soft and fingerprints won't cause issue, technician was servicing mine from 4:30am and could not finish by 6pm, they extended my loaner (and gave me Insane mode on the P90D, what fun).. advise is to check with a bright LED flashlight when you're home (1000 lumens should do) in a dark room (turn off overhead room lighting)

• Informative
Reactions: Ba2yev
@vijichamu that's good they caught it; they might be more sensitive to the paint issue now as it was a painful one to experience on my case- they had spot corrected many defects including paying for painting those areas and was about to hand me back the car last week, only to discover under certain light (bright sun, shop lights, bright LEDs) that the splotchy and non-uniform paint was in many spots and led them to order a thorough repaint of my car.

@rxlawdude the paint defect issue on many blue Ys is real- in fact when I dropped off my car for service 2 weeks ago and was waiting in parking lot before I was greeted, I looked at a blue LR Y behind mine to compare condition- that car had already been clear bra'd by a detailer (and there was a "don't wash car" slip on the dash to allow film to dry) and I clearly saw thin paint on the last 5" section of the rear hatch where it looked sky blue instead of dark blue (not a problem on mine); this issue requires a careful eye and favorable/lucky conditions to spot; overcast day might illuminate the issue or if it's sunny, the sun at the right angle.

The problematic batch of blue and white Ys is probably still out there, either in their original condition or they were fixed by service and put back in line for delivery; the delayed turnaround time for assigning new blue and white VINs is likely a delay with the painting process (backlogged with many of these cases), which is not just about paint- a Tesla technician needs to reassemble the car too and the Y takes double the time as other Teslas apparently for those door/window trims.. technician was servicing mine from 4:30am and could not finish by 6pm, they extended my loaner (and gave me Insane mode on the P90D, what fun).. advise is to check with a bright LED flashlight when you're home (1000 lumens should do) in a dark room (turn off overhead room lighting)
I see a theme going on..

Attachments

• 20200509_160748.jpg
    20200509_160748.jpg
    470.7 KB · Views: 95
Thank you for posting this. I was supposed to take delivery today of my white/white AWD (146XX)and declined it cause the paint didn't match.

I hate that you are spending your time here and NOT driving around in Model Y, but I am happy that my post helped you to catch the issue and walk away from the lousy deal.

I have another car assigned to me already. Based on the VIN (129xx), I feel that it has been rejected as well. I wonder what's wrong with it.

I hate that you are spending your time here and NOT driving around in Model Y, but I am happy that my post helped you to catch the issue and walk away from the lousy deal.

I have another car assigned to me already. Based on the VIN (129xx), I feel that it has been rejected as well. I wonder what's wrong with it.

There is absolutely no way you can determine an order date or sequence from a VIN. There are folks here getting delivery notices below 10xxx. e.g. my VIN was 11xxx and was manufactured this month, probably second week based on the VIN and delivery text appearing at the same moment.

What you might try doing is going to your delivery location a couple days before the scheduled date and scope the VINs. If you to find it soon enough, the sticker with the exact manufacturing date will still be on the windshield.

There is absolutely no way you can determine an order date or sequence from a VIN. There are folks here getting delivery notices below 10xxx. e.g. my VIN was 11xxx and was manufactured this month, probably second week based on the VIN and delivery text appearing at the same moment.

What you might try doing is going to your delivery location a couple days before the scheduled date and scope the VINs. If you to find it soon enough, the sticker with the exact manufacturing date will still be on the windshield.

Good point. I tried to do the same with the first one, but the service center in Rockville, MD, had it hidden really well. I will try my luck again on Tuesday.

Reactions: dandrewk

To add to this, I saw in a diff post that lower vin numbers had issues which is not true. My vin was 14xxx, and still with so many issues.

I suspect it's more about the particular configuration batch they are working on for that day.

e.g. Suddenly we are seeing issues of misapplied blue paint. From the pictures, you don't have to look long/hard to spot it. I'll bet they were all from the same batch. If so, that has no bearing on whatever configuration is next up.

Reactions: Ba2yev
I suspect it's more about the particular configuration batch they are working on for that day.

e.g. Suddenly we are seeing issues of misapplied blue paint. From the pictures, you don't have to look long/hard to spot it. I'll bet they were all from the same batch. If so, that has no bearing on whatever configuration is next up.

Agreed! Same with white models, at least four on the parking lot yesterday. The car I rejected, except for different shades of white on the driver side doors, had minor issues with alignments. I didn't spend much time on the interior; I was just too upset.

IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6072.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6074.JPG
IMG_6069.JPG
I never post, though I just picked up my black/ black MY with a VIN in the 17,XXX.

This is my 4th Tesla- and I am used to what Tesla "quality" is so I might be a fraction more forgiving. That being said, I had told the delivery peeps I wanted to spend time and really inspect it before taking delivery. I had a checklist, have read many of the postings of what to look out for, watched a lot of Youtube videos... So I was fully prepared to walk if need be.

It was in great shape with a few minor caveats. I found one micro paint chip. A piece of plastic on the interior that had not been fully removed (protective) and everything else works. The back seats are aligned. The charge port cover fits well. The gaps are acceptable.

I will say the paint quality on these cars are suspect... In the right light - they are simply not the best paint jobs from a texture stand point (orange peel). (see photos below which I zoomed in on) (its def. not good)....

So I went into the show room and inspected an S, an X and a 3 of differing colors. All of them were not amazing but none of them were black. The black def. shows the texture in the right light. There was one paint swirl on the hood actually though I plan in wrapping it in a frosted protective film, so I did not stress.

I did talk to one of the delivery peeps and she said, they have been aggressively working on delivering much better cars. They are VERY aware of the chatter online about the quality issues. And one tech guy on their team, said, yeah yours is a clean one.

I may find other issues upon spending more time with it and I wont be surprised if I do based on whats been going on.

And I was pleasantly surprised. All that being said, I am familiar with Tesla quality and how they do things so I am probably not as demanding as some people might be.

Even then, the car is definitely acceptable and the quality is solid. Drives well. Lets see how things play out over the next few days.View attachment 554641View attachment 554642View attachment 554643View attachment 554644View attachment 554645View attachment 554646View attachment 554641View attachment 554642View attachment 554643View attachment 554644View attachment 554643View attachment 554645View attachment 554646

Reactions: beezy
Just picked up my Model Y Performance with Performance Upgrade, in Black/Black on Friday 6/19.

Not happy with the delivery experience. First, they told me to go to their Costa Mesa delivery center. As I was parking I got a text message with a different address. I called the delivery team, no answer. I called my delivery coordinator, no answer. I called the main 800 number, no answer. I go to this place, which was in a parking structure. Felt like I was doing a drug deal. They had a little folding table set up and a couple of Tesla staff. One guy took me to my car. I had a checklist, and mechanically it was fine, fit and finish was bad. All correctable items, but some should never ever have made it through QC or even ANYONE who touched this car should have caught it too.

I started going over the car, and they told me to just take the car and I can report anything I find tomorrow and they'll take care of it. They said they did not have due bills or any mechanism to track issues found, because of hastily moving to this parking structure as a result of the Coronavirus orders that came into effect the day before pickup. Thankfully no panel gap issues or anything else crazy.

Items:

• Paint has a bubble in the rear quarter panel
  • Paint Nibs on a couple edges, like little nipples in the paint. Not sure what to call those.
  • There was a "snowball" which is what the guy called it, and their detailer was able to take care of that immediately.
  • There is a couple light door dings, paintless dent can fix easily
  • Front bumper has a scratch which I didn't catch until I got home.
  • Headliner, A pillar and Sunvisor all on drivers side has greasy hand prints. There is no way that should have made it past anyone. That is simple enough to swap out so I took the car.
Later that day I created the mobile service appointment with the issues listed as a way to document the problems since I realized when I got home they didn't tell me HOW to report anything I found. I have called my delivery coordinator, voicemail again, left a message asking what to do. I sent her an email with the list of items further asking what to do as proof. The day after, the day he said I had to report anything, I drove to the Service Center, which was closed... so I took a video standing in the parking lot to document stuff too. I should have plenty of proof these were factory issues and not "me pulling one on them".

None of the items are deal-breakers, but this demonstrates abysmal quality control. For a car this expensive, hell for ANY car I expect better. I've owned 15 or so new cars in my life and not a single one had any fit/finish issues like this. The dents/paint things could be reasonably missed or happened during transport; fine. The greasy hand prints are INEXECUSABLE though. Sloppy workmanship to put it lightly.

If they take care of the issues, fine, i'll put this behind me. If they give me grief.... I just hope that doesn't happen here.

Reactions: Ba2yev and Kelr316
UPDATE:

Just got an SMS from Tesla.

Kind of implies it's being built or going to be built soon? Wishful thinking on my part?

"Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be delivered between 6/27 - 6/30 and will reach out to schedule your delivery once your Model Y is built.

Please be prepared to take delivery as soon as your Model Y is ready."

Reactions: lnsh
UPDATE:

Just got an SMS from Tesla.

Kind of implies it's being built or going to be built soon? Wishful thinking on my part?

"Tesla Update - We currently expect your Model Y to be delivered between 6/27 - 6/30 and will reach out to schedule your delivery once your Model Y is built.

Please be prepared to take delivery as soon as your Model Y is ready."
Got the same text, up in BC. Bunch of California people got it as well. I do think the last batch of cars they're making currently and don't have time to ship to the east coast are all being delivered on the west coast...

Bellevue service team agreed to fix the whole glass roof (back ordered for 2-4 weeks), repaint / replace frunk, discolouration of the plastic inside on the driver side. But they kind of not agreeing to fix any more of detailed paint issues. So I decided to refuse delivery today.

Hoping to get my next Model Y pretty soon.

Reactions: NY_Rob and raggedy
Bellevue service team agreed to fix the whole glass roof (back ordered for 2-4 weeks), repaint / replace frunk, discolouration of the plastic inside on the driver side. But they kind of not agreeing to fix any more of detailed paint issues. So I decided to refuse delivery today.
Hoping to get my next Model Y pretty soon.

Glad you stuck to your guns @vijichamu, Tesla must learn that not everyone will accept their poor quality workmanship.
Who wants a $60K car that may have future rust/mold issues along with mismatched paint, etc... they can do better!

Reactions: hcdavis3