Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reg Number before delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am picking up P3 at 9 wednesday(tomorrow). Payment cleared yesterday but can’t get hold of tesla and have not received a reg number.

Has anyone received a registration number yet?

Is it ok to go pick up the car if I dont have yet a confirmed insurance (they need the reg). I guess I will have to call the insurer tomorrow morning from tesla sc...

I also didn’t get confirmation from tesla that they reconciled payment... has anyone received such confirmation?really hope tomorrow wont be too much of a painful admin process...

I'm in exactly the same boat. Payment made in full, collection tomorrow at Heathrow, no registration so can't insure.

I have heard that on early deliveries like ours, for which I am very pleased, Tesla do issue registration as late as day prior to delivery. I have sent an email to their deliverygb address this morning asking them to confirm payment and give me the reg number but I hold little hope of that email being processed today.

If Tesla don't give me the reg number by 2 pm I'll try and phone them but I don't expect them to pick up the phone.

I'll post here if I hear anything, until then I'll keep chewing my nails.

Last edited:
You need car specific insurance to tax the car - even if its free. I taxed my last (non Tesla) vehicle online at garage when collecting last time I purchased - much easier than the old days, but still a risk I could have done without.

Last edited:
Would it be worthwhile getting your insurance all ready (Quote ready with who you will use and tell them you will have the Reg tomorrow - quote in principle?) then just phone tomorrow with the Reg number and payment ready (or pay today as Reg wont effect the quote) when you turn up tomorrow?

As VanillaAir_UK mentioned, it very quick these days and you may get through on the phone very quickly to the insurance company.

Would it be worthwhile getting your insurance all ready (Quote ready with who you will use and tell them you will have the Reg tomorrow - quote in principle?) then just phone tomorrow with the Reg number and payment ready (or pay today as Reg wont effect the quote) when you turn up tomorrow?

As VanillaAir_UK mentioned, it very quick these days and you may get through on the phone very quickly to the insurance company.
Yeah. That’s what I am planning. Not the luxury car purchase experience I would have expected...
Feels more like buying a 60k iphone...at a JL store...

Yeah. That’s what I am planning. Not the luxury car purchase experience I would have expected...
Feels more like buying a 60k iphone...at a JL store...

Even worse if you get there and the chappy has a bit of sticky-back plastic, a stencil and a felt-tip pen to make up your reg:p:)

When i bought my S last october it was delivered to my home on a trailer so no drama, no hanging about sorting insurance etc.

Just got the Tesla email with my registration plate. Its a GB plate, which is a shame because I like the quirky NI plates (not from here originally) but its no big deal.
Strangely enough Tesla Edinburgh will only register with a Northern Irleand plate but Heathrow will only register with GB plates. Perhaps Tesla think Edinburgh is in Northern Ireland.

Anyhow, got my license plate so I'm off to finalise the quote. I nearly went with Churchill but their green card cover is rubbish, which post brexit and close to the Irish border is very important, otherwise I'm stuck up North. Back stop and all that.

Just got the Tesla email with my registration plate. Its a GB plate, which is a shame because I like the quirky NI plates (not from here originally) but its no big deal.
Strangely enough Tesla Edinburgh will only register with a Northern Irleand plate but Heathrow will only register with GB plates. Perhaps Tesla think Edinburgh is in Northern Ireland.

Anyhow, got my license plate so I'm off to finalise the quote. I nearly went with Churchill but their green card cover is rubbish, which post brexit and close to the Irish border is very important, otherwise I'm stuck up North. Back stop and all that.

Cool - what time was your pickup? Perhaps they are working through cars in pickup order...

I am willing my email to appear now so it can all be done and dusted..

Reactions: trentbridge
I am in same position awaiting Reg prior to Thursday pick up. Admiral who I have multi car Insurance with need the Reg not VIN (£380 quite for P-)
Just got off long phone call with Tesla (and an hour on hold) who said:
1. Reg Nos for tomorrow and Thursday deliveries are being allocated as we speak and emails will be sent likely later tonight with details.
2. They refused to make up a set of Private plates for me to fit later as it is too logistically difficult (despite them doing it previously). They told me to ask again upon arrival but “it was unlikely”.
3. They are planning 100 deliveries every 30 mins at Heathrow over the next few days and it is manic. They say they have been planning this event for many months with some local storage but logistics are planned to the minute (15 mins per customer handover with no paper - all digital).
4. They said a fair number of people have delayed to the 69 plate but their cars are immediately reallocated. They did say that so many cars are coming in now that the delay shouldn’t be far into September for anyone in this position. I questioned the availability of P- on future boats given it is not currently on sale and was told there are still a lot coming through so it wouldn’t be a problem (they confirmed the inverter is different on P- to LR). I still elected to take the allocated vehicle this week as I’m sick of waiting - but I guess the implication if they are still receiving P- stock is that they may go back on sale soon (after those of us who ordered early have been stung for the higher original price). I’m over worrying about it - I just want my car....

"They are planning 100 deliveries every 30 mins at Heathrow over the next few days and it is manic"

Heathrow delivery quotes get odder by the minute.

That's about, what, 1600 cars a day, from a single delivery site? Notwithstanding there are not enough cars in the country to do that it would be complete madness to try.

I thought their claim of 150 a day was unlikely enough..