Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

regen and brake lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you put the battery charge screen on your main display, it shows a model of your car. The headlights, signal lights and brake lights on this model all work in real time. It shows whether your brake lights are in during deceleration.

As a side note, it wasn't until I had this screen up during a drive that I found out the side Tesla markers light up with the turn signal! I very much enjoyed that moment!

During my drive back from Florida over two days , I played with this a lot. I found that the brake lights only came on when reaching full 60kw regen and never below, regardless of vehicle speed or negative acceleration levels.

Does this mean on cold days with no regen in the beginning of a trip, the brake lights won't come on? So when i read there is no regen with a cold battery, then
there is also no "braking" effect from the regen thus also no braking lights?

Does this mean on cold days with no regen in the beginning of a trip, the brake lights won't come on? So when i read there is no regen with a cold battery, then

Yes, of course.. Why would the brake lights come on when there is no regen or additional negative acceleration taking place (other than coasting like an ICE)? I don't understand your confusion.

This doesn't mean the brakes don't come on when you actually use the brake pedal.. They do, of course.

I agree with Hank. When the battery is too full or too cold to allow regen braking then of course the brake lights will not come on because...no braking is taking place.

And of course at any time you can apply the brakes, using the brake pedal, and the brake lights will come on.

Simple, logical, effective.

No confusion here at all, I'm just trying to figure out as much about the car as I can before delivery.
As far as normal driving goes, you won't really notice the difference--until you drive it for a month and then go back to your other car. The other car will then feel as if it is broken. For the rest, watch an orientation video a few times, then when you get the orientation on delivery, you'll just have to watch for any changes.

Ya its a percentage of your current speed. Something like 15% less and the brake lights come on just by backing off the go pedal. As suggested previously, bring up the charging screen on the mail panel and it will indicate when the brake lights come on.

Ya its a percentage of your current speed. Something like 15% less and the brake lights come on just by backing off the go pedal.

Not really.. you have to pretty much pull all the way off the go pedal to affect maximum regen (60kw) before the brake lights will go on. Just half way or even 30kw of regen won't do it. You can test this yourself.

If the brake lights came on every time you back off the go pedal, that really would drive people behind you nuts. Like I mentioned, I had two days and a 1300 mile drive to test this out, and in my experience, the only time the brake lights came on was under full 60kw regen regardless of speed.

Ya its a percentage of your current speed. Something like 15% less and the brake lights come on just by backing off the go pedal.
That is definitely not correct based on the documented behavior of my late 2013 S85. I posted this up thread:
Last year I did a test at night on a dark street so I could easily see when the brake lights came on in the rear view camera display. I consistently found that they came on only when I completely lifted off the "go" pedal but did not touch the brake pedal (of course the came on with the slightest bit of pressure on the brake pedal). As long as I maintained just a bit of pressure on the "go" pedal they did not come on.
So yes if you are going down a hill and holding speed with just moderate pressure on the "go" pedal the brakes lights do not come on. I do not perceive that as a drawback. You are maintaining a constant speed.

Just did a test drive. It is not as simple as pedal position or even absolute amount regen. I could get them to come on at 15kW regen by abrupt partial lift, and I could keep them off to just below 30kW regen by careful slow lift.

G-Sensor? Rate of change of decel? I'm not sure. More experimentation required.

@Danal, your testing may well have been more precise than mine. I could not get the brake lights to come on without completely taking pressure off the go pedal. It sounds like you got the lights to come on with "abrupt partial lift" off the go pedal. Similar, but not exactly the same. I will try to remember to try that next time I'm in my S.

I was wondering ff the brake lights are on, every time you slow down with regen?
Is this in both regen settings? Can you disable this brake light reaction?

I had the use of a loaner for many weeks, and the biggest annoyance was the brake lights coming on every time I warped past a slower driver and then lifted off the accelerator slightly.

Tesla UK advise me to use the options screen and select 'low' under the Regenerative Braking options and the problem would be solved. Apparently a lot of UK drivers are annoyed by it !

This stopped all brake light activity unless I physically pressed the brake pedal. Hopefully this is still a 'feature' of 6.2.

I had the use of a loaner for many weeks, and the biggest annoyance was the brake lights coming on every time I warped past a slower driver and then lifted off the accelerator slightly.

Tesla UK advise me to use the options screen and select 'low' under the Regenerative Braking options and the problem would be solved. Apparently a lot of UK drivers are annoyed by it !

This stopped all brake light activity unless I physically pressed the brake pedal. Hopefully this is still a 'feature' of 6.2.

That's a pretty drastic measure to take just to please other drivers. You realize you're significantly affecting your efficiency, right?

That's a pretty drastic measure to take just to please other drivers. You realize you're significantly affecting your efficiency, right?

errr, yeah … I wasn’t trying to be 'drastic' or 'please' other drivers; yes I am aware that 'low' regen marginally lowers regen efficiency; and no I am not in the slightest bit bothered about it ..

My comment was to provide a solution to the opening question - something which no one else seems to have answered in the past 37 posts !!!

As for driving manners over here, you don’t pull out to overtake someone doing 60 on a motorway and then immediately appear to be slamming on the brakes once in front of them when the road ahead is clear and you're merely resuming a cruising speed of around 85. I personally really don’t like the sensitivity of the soft brake light that seems to flicker on with a mere -15kw of braking effect. I only want it to come on when I actually press the brake pedal. Each to their own I guess :)

Reactions: Doogue
I've been trying to find NTHSA studies on rear-end in "no light" scenarios, like a manual tranny downshift. Lots (and I mean TONS) of studies showing how rear-end are most common, proposing various enhanced lighting mandates, including flashing, based solely on G of de-cel, etc, etc.

So far, no actual stats that clearly separate light v no-light rear end... but like I say, much indirect evidence that slowing with no lights showing is bad.