Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen and tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has two regen settings - high and low (and off).
How much difference would it make to tire life if I was to switch it from high to low?

thanks.

"It Depends".

In an AWD model, regen probably saves tire life, as it probably decelerates less hard than you would with friction brakes. In non-AWD models, it will probably make a noticeable difference in rear tire wear, but probably the loss of range would be quite annoying.

The tires don't care what causes a deceleration. You can do 50% regen and 50% friction brakes, or 100% regen and no friction brakes. To the tires the deceleration is the same and the wear and tear on them is also the same. In other words, it makes no difference because the car has to slow down one way or another and the tires always get the same amount of load.

What has a big effect on tires is your driving style. I got 55k miles out of my first set of tires, while others had to change after 15k. How? I accelerate only with 40-80 kW, and I lift my foot off the pedal in time so that regen brings the car to (almost) a stop at a red light. I have always used 'normal' setting on regen.

Some thoughts here too:
Standard vs Low regen and rear tire life?

There can be a difference versus a typical car based on brake bias. On a RWD Tesla, heavy use of regen vs. friction braking will place more load on rear tires than using friction brakes, because regen only applies to the rear tires while friction brakes distribute it to all four tires.

On an AWD Tesla, obviously things are different.

That said, it's miniscule in comparison to other factors.

Last edited:
Do you have RWD or AWD?

I have a RWD 85 and I use regen as much as possible. I hardly touch my brakes. I use regen in every situation I can and I try to maximize it. I think it is safe to say that regen doesn't affect tire wear in a significant way.

I will say though that I'm also very focused on looking ahead to avoid having to brake hard. I tend to keep a little more distance to the car in front of me than others. I look several cars ahead and start to slowly reduce my speed when I see them slowing down.

I have a RWD 85 and I use regen as much as possible. I hardly touch my brakes. I use regen in every situation I can and I try to maximize it. I think it is safe to say that regen doesn't affect tire wear in a significant way.

I will say though that I'm also very focused on looking ahead to avoid having to brake hard. I tend to keep a little more distance to the car in front of me than others. I look several cars ahead and start to slowly reduce my speed when I see them slowing down.

This coincides with my experience. Regen just doesn't contribute significantly to tire wear.

If you rotate your tires as recommended, there will be no effect whatever. If you don't, one set of tires will last longer and the other will wear prematurely, so if you don't mind replacing them in pairs rather than four at a time, it all balances out.