TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Regen braking dramatically reduced.

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by TJ1978, Oct 18, 2019.

1. TJ1978

TJ1978 New Member

Normally when I was able to drive almost completely with one pedal and only at stop lights would I have to add the brake when under 10 mph to come to a full stop, but lately after V10 my car's regen braking has gone to almost nothing until I get down to about 20 mph then it kicks in and I have to touch the brake again under 10 mph like normal.
    Anyone else seeing this?
    I switched the regen braking from normal to low and then back up with zero change.
    I just read in another post about resetting the car after a new software update with the steering wheel. I will try this when I get back to the car.
    I just miss my hard braking.
    Mine is a 2019 Performance MX built in Aug 2019.

2. DavidO

DavidO Member

Mine is a MS Long Range built around the same time. Regen will be limited if the batteries are cold. Interestingly though, I have noticed less regen since the latest update even when the ambient is in the high 50s or even >60F.

3. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

@TJ1978
    1. Are you see dashes on the regen (bottom) half of the power meter when the regen is apparently weaker?
    2. Double-check that your Regen setting is at Standard rather than Low. Also try toggling from Standard to Low and then back to Standard.

4. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

May also be that you are experiencing lower temperatures in Nebraska than before.

In cold weather a full battery will not be able to take additional charges from regeneration. This will show up on your display as orange dashed lines. As you battery gets warmer or gets a little empty, your regen should be back to normal..

5. Pstrombo

Pstrombo New Member

I have also seen this since V10 update. I could not find any info in manual. I live in Illinois and nights are getting down to the 30's F.

6. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I agree with others. This is likely cold weather. Threads like this start to appear each fall when temps start dropping into the low 50s or 40s at night.

7. Paranda61

Paranda61 New Member

Same here (in the NL). Clearly reduced regen braking and the suggested ruggelings between standard and low had no effect. Any other suggestion?

8. Paranda61

Paranda61 New Member

9. TJ1978

TJ1978 New Member

I have looked at the power meter regen and that was the first time since I got the car that the temp dipped below 70 degrees and now I understand why it was happening and what to look for next time.
    Thanks Everyone!

10. dstasse

dstasse Member

I also thought the regen braking was severely reduced with a recent uodate, until it got really cold. Took MX out this a.m. at 27 degrees, no regen whatsoever. Had to use brakes all the time. Battery was at 60%. If this is normal for a cold battery, I can expect no regen braking for the next five months. Guess I'll need that brake job in the future after all.

11. Alexejew

Alexejew Member

I’m driving 2 months old X in Puerto Rico and noticing same thing after update, temperature obviously not an issue here 75-85F

12. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

Assuming you have shore power, preheat your car so the battery is warm before you leave in the morning. I use Stats app, and the newest firmware has controls for preheating the battery, too.

13. DrGod

DrGod New Member

i think there has been a decrease with the upgrade, but it clearly is the cold weather
    there is no regen braking when batteries cold, but after being in heated garage, even when cold outside, there was.

14. ditzpro

ditzpro Member

I agree that there is less regen after V10..No question in my mind , cold weather or not ..AND , I don't like it ..
    One of the downsides to the "Update thing" is , You are at the mercy of the "God" Tesla ..
    However , there are many upsides .
    Three years of this , I ' m getting used to it .

15. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Check your settings in Driving. Regen was changed in 2019.32. It now has 3 selections Creep, Roll and Hold. Creep is similar to the prior release, Hold appears to be the max Regen (make sure Regen is set to "Standard"). In HOLD the regen is strong and causes the vehicle to stop in a "HOLD" without depressing the brake. Experiment with the each of the three settings to determine which fits your needs. Note: Changes can only be made in PARK.

16. Lindamon

Lindamon Member

I have just the opposite experience.

I live in Florida, so not cold.

I feel like my X is stronger regen at all speeds now, but I have it in “hold”. Maybe in “roll” it would feel less, don’t know. Can’t compare, it’s been too long in “hold” and I’m never going back! ;-)

17. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

HOLD is the strongest. Try CREEP to compare for a day or so, ROLL seemed too light for me. Hard to judge in a few stops. Also I have a sloped driveway, so I need CREEP when backing into the garage.

18. Fredneck

Fredneck Member

I'll have to check this when I get my car back from service. I haven't seen these settings.

19. HugoBoss

HugoBoss Member

Regen has been reduced with the latest update and l don't like it. Have to use brakes more often now. I don't have the "hold" setting, or maybe I'm just not seeing it. Late 2017 X 100D

20. PM90D

PM90D Member

Regen def. with recent updates (sometime in Sept) but something I was not aware of is that regen is not available if your vehicle is fully charged. Per Mobile tech.