Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen dots at <90% SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. Can you clarify a couple things just to try and get a handle on your situation (which presents with far more regen dots than I have seen at 90%):

1. Is this right after charging the car, or after it sat at ambient for a specific time?
2. Was the last charge supercharging or L2 charging, and at what current?
3. With this level of regen dots, do you notice the lost regen and at what speed?
4. At what SOC/range did the dots go away?

Last winter I would see around this many regen dots when it was -10C or cooler outside, but I've never seen that much limitation in warmer temperatures, nor has my SOC tripped the 'regen braking limited' message unless I was charged +90%.

Thanks for posting your experience.

At 90% SoC, the dots are about 2/3rds of the left side of the power line on the 3LR. They go away pretty quickly once on the highway. Just don't rely on regen braking too much.

LR AWD. Car charges to just over 400km, about 80%, every night. Done charging for a few hours before we drive it.
Always has 4-5 regen dots when we start. Honestly, I've never got that much regen anyways. Downhill on a highway doesn't give me enough to where that's actually limiting it, even at a much lower charge state. Charging more (via regen as well) does further reduce regen ability.

I'm not worried about it. Unless I'm above 96%, I have comfortable levels of regen.

Reactions: bxr140
At 90% SoC, the dots are about 2/3rds of the left side of the power line on the 3LR.

Beating the horse a bit on this one, its important to understand that the above is a statement of instance. Again, the variables are more complex than a simple relationship between SOC and regen limiting.

Case in point, I happened to look down this weekend and saw this:

fullsizeoutput_60e.jpeg

I have them until soc is in the low 60s. Regardless of outside temp. Different than my LR for sure. Then again so is the wh/km. I find the SR+ is less efficient than my LR.
Probably more because your SR+ is brand new. Needs some breaking in. Tires wearing down a bit and drivetrain loosening up. The SR+ is lighter so should def be more efficient than LR RWD. MR was more efficient y a few %, so this must follow the same trend.

Reactions: bijan
Probably more because your SR+ is brand new. Needs some breaking in. Tires wearing down a bit and drivetrain loosening up. The SR+ is lighter so should def be more efficient than LR RWD. MR was more efficient y a few %, so this must follow the same trend.
Great news then. I’d love to see that. It makes sense what you say but man it’s not been my experience. I even cut out some goofball driving on typical drives to try and hit my LR’s numbers. I hope you’re right though.

Great news then. I’d love to see that. It makes sense what you say but man it’s not been my experience. I even cut out some goofball driving on typical drives to try and hit my LR’s numbers. I hope you’re right though.

Highway or city? My guess is that you'll get worse highway because mainly wind resistance and not so much advantage from lower weight you'll lose out because 50kwh vs 75kwh is bigger difference than the rated range difference. In city you'll benefit from the lower weight more which should give you the difference.

Edit: that is to say 50kwh/75kwh x 499km or 525km gives 333km or 350km whereas rated is 386km or so? So if they weighed the same you'd get less but since it weighs a lot less you should do better.

• Informative
Reactions: Darthbenji
That was my experience with both of my volts when I would track range per charge like a hawk (since I only had 10.5 kwh or 14.1 kwh available). After a year of ownership I definitely saw more range per charge under the same route/driving conditions.

Tires wearing out is definitely a part of it. Kind of a similar reason why winter tires typically drop range: they are stickier and increase rolling resistance. By that same token, tires worn down for 10k km would be more efficient than new ones (and less sticky by extension).

The dots will go away as the battery warms up from heat generated by the motor and current draw. No heat is wasted on the model 3.

I think if it's cold enough extra power will be run through the motor to generate heat. At -15 or -20 parked outside all night I get a message when I start to drive saying battery is heating power will improve as you drive. Don't always get this even when there are limited power dots.

Battery heating on the Model 3 : teslamotors