Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen dots at <90% SOC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed a month or so ago that I am getting Regen dots again when charging to 90%. Oddly enough they stay for quite a while, down to around 420km and it's not temp or tire related since it's still very warm and I've changed nothing on the tires. Curious if others are seeing the same? I assume so, and surprised no one has called it out here yet. Pic below.

IMG_20190819_190834.jpg

US March 2019 SR+ here. I get regen dots until about 78% SOC. I believe it's normal to have a couple of dots on the left-hand side. When it was still a bit cold in March we would get Regen Limited warnings at 90%, but now with warmer weather it's just a few dots.

Getting cold overnight in Burlington? Winter is coming... rode my bike this morning and it was chilly! :D

Not that, the pic I took was after a hot day parked outside during work. It was 30+C and was hot the few days before. I'd say about 2 months ago is when I first noticed the Regen dots showing up at 90%-ish.

US March 2019 SR+ here. I get regen dots until about 78% SOC. I believe it's normal to have a couple of dots on the left-hand side. When it was still a bit cold in March we would get Regen Limited warnings at 90%, but now with warmer weather it's just a few dots.

That's a bit crazy to have them down to 78% when not due to cold.

It might be if it's too hot? Do you park in the sun? I've only seen it when I charge beyond 95%, or in the winter like everyone else... Or maybe it's just a dual motor thing?
Yes, it was in the sun, but don't think it was because too hot because I had charged the precious night to 90% at a supercharger then parked in garage overnight. Regen dots were still there in the morning, and again after leaving work as shown in the pic.

I charged to about 95% for a road trip and had almost no regen when I pulled out of the driveway. The car was showing me at 492km Range and 28C. I had my wife take a picture, but it's such a potato picture, I can't even share it.
That would be 'normal' to lose regen like that at 95%. Anything above 90-ish would do that, but having regen dots down to 85%-ish is something new IMO. Not sure if it is due to new firmware or not. Seems not everyone is seeing this.

I dont plug in every night, typically every 3-4 days after i run down to 150km or so, then I top up to 90. Maybe that has something to do with it, but that seems dubious...

I think I saw the dots before but I don't recall the scenario because I didn't realize what they meant. I just though to myself "That's odd, I don't remember the line being dotted." I only got my car end of March, and usually charge to 80% and I don't think I've ever charged over 90%. I'm on the factory 18" wheels/tires. It must have been heat related in my case.

I think I saw the dots before but I don't recall the scenario because I didn't realize what they meant. I just though to myself "That's odd, I don't remember the line being dotted." I only got my car end of March, and usually charge to 80% and I don't think I've ever charged over 90%. I'm on the factory 18" wheels/tires. It must have been heat related in my case.

Low and high temperature affect battery output. Let the car manage itself and live with it :)

What matters is your safety and grin when you mash the pedal!

Definitely cold affects it (surprisingly so since in no other EV I've owned has regen been limited by temp....the model 3 has noticeable regen loss at even 5C, but my other EVs worked flawlessly even to -20C...but I digress....).

On the heat side, here's where I'm having difficulty: Pretty much every time I've charged to 90% in the past month or two I get the regen dots, and they dont go away 'overnight' when temps drop and presumably a 'hot' battery would have had time to cool down. The dots consistently stay until around 430-420km. I haven't been tracking it that closely, but probably should pay a bit more attention.

One theory I thought could be happening is my battery pack needs to go through a bit of the re calibration process where you run it down low and charge to 100% to re balance the pack...reason I say this is my 90% charge regularly reports ~ 442km instead of 450km. Its a shot in the dark, but perhaps its something about the pack being detected as unbalanced at > 85% in my case and the software is limiting regen.....

I should also say that the regen dots I'm seeing dont affect regen at non-highway speeds. You have to be going at a pretty good clip for the regen bar to max out...that's why I haven't really paid much attention to it: it isn't really affecting my driving currently, but if it is something that will trend worse I do want to start documenting it more carefully since it seems some see the same thing while others dont.

Been meaning to find the thread Tony mentioned in the main forum for more info, but I haven't had the time...

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
I charge to 90% and usually use down to 75% for daily driving. (Sr+). I nearly always have some regen dots and rarely they disappear but then reappear when the regen kicks in.

Reading the manual it seems fairly normal and sounds like there are many many reasons!

I charge to 90% and usually use down to 75% for daily driving. (Sr+). I nearly always have some regen dots and rarely they disappear but then reappear when the regen kicks in.

Reading the manual it seems fairly normal and sounds like there are many many reasons!

I was reading some of the more technical threads on this forum, and I was surprised to learn that at certain slopes the kW generated from regen can enormous (the example given was that a 10% grade generates 33 kW) 4200lbs * 9.81m/s^2 * sin(arctan(10/100)) * 40mph - Wolfram|Alpha

So in certain high SOC scenarios, the kW is just too high for the battery to accept.

Reactions: Mikeydeek

A little off topic but has anyone done an efficiency stuff on charging/discharging. Of you're only using 15% of the battery on a daily basis would you use less power charging to 75% and running it down to 60%, would the efficiency of charging be lower charging from 75-90 vs 60-75

A little off topic but has anyone done an efficiency stuff on charging/discharging. Of you're only using 15% of the battery on a daily basis would you use less power charging to 75% and running it down to 60%, would the efficiency of charging be lower charging from 75-90 vs 60-75

AC charging is very efficient (4-6% loss @ 240V and 36Amps: my home setup). However, lower amperage supply = less efficient as the charge time is longer and thus more juice is used to sustain the charging systems.

SoC has very little effect to L2 chargers. It's more about the amount of power available. You can test this by setting the car to 20A vs 30A and chart the difference.

Highlighted yellow are L1 wall plug charges (~70%+) vs L2 at home (240V@36A ~93%+) and public L2s (200V@30A ~80-90%+)

upload_2019-8-22_8-36-50.png

I see Regen dots all summer (MA) at anything over 80% SOC in the morning. A few regen dots has very little impact on driving feel or efficiency.

It’s just limiting the Max regen it will allow, which doesn’t happen often or for very long.

Supposedly AWD has higher regen capability so AWD cars might see more dots in the same conditions.