Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Regen limited message (60 degrees, 90% SOC)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning I saw a message that regen was limited. It was 60 degrees outside and the battery was at about 90%. Is this normal? 60 degrees outside doesn't seem cold. It was about 50 overnight, so maybe the battery was a bit colder inside, but even 50 doesn't seem too cold to limit regen.

Am I correct that when regen is limited, the power line at the top of the screen is dashed?

Yes it's normal and yes it will display a dotted line on the left of your power meter to indicate the limitation. The colder it gets, the more the dots fill in the left half of the power meter. When it's super cold or state of charge is very low, you'll start getting power limitations, indicated by dots on the right side of the power meter.

Keep in mind the higher SOC of your battery is the more sensitive it is to temperature with respect to accepting charge.
I'm a little surprised you had regen limits at those temps. Sure it didn't dip into 40's overnight?

Last edited:
I believe the S/X pack can begin to limit regen as warm as 52f. Regen is VERY aggressive charging. Pack is big and heavy so the temp can take awhile to drop to ambient and can take a bit to warm with the morning sun. Parked overnight it just got cool and hadn't warmed yet.

This morning I saw a message that regen was limited. It was 60 degrees outside and the battery was at about 90%. Is this normal? 60 degrees outside doesn't seem cold. It was about 50 overnight, so maybe the battery was a bit colder inside, but even 50 doesn't seem too cold to limit regen.

Am I correct that when regen is limited, the power line at the top of the screen is dashed?
I get the dots for weather as high as 64 degrees. I've only see the "regen is limited" message if the weather is like in the 40s or lower though.

This Post is insightful. Basically, regen limitation is in regards to power pushing to the batteries, not regen functionality itself. The regen braking will continue as it always does, only the amount of energy pushed back into the battery is limited.

From Model 3 Owners Manual:
A dashed line appears on the energy bar when power available for acceleration or power that can be gained by regenerative braking is being limited. Model 3 limits power for many reasons. Here are just a few examples:
• Acceleration may be limited when the Battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot.
• Both acceleration and regenerative braking may be limited when the ambient temperature is either very warm or cool.
• Regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is fully charged.

More from M3OM:
The amount of energy fed back to the Battery using regenerative braking can depend on the current state of the Battery and the charge level setting that you are using. For example, regenerative braking may be limited if the Battery is already fully charged or if the ambient temperature is too cold.

This Post is insightful. Basically, regen limitation is in regards to power pushing to the batteries, not regen functionality itself. The regen braking will continue as it always does, only the amount of energy pushed back into the battery is limited.

Regenerative braking slows the vehicle by puttong energy back into the battery. When the amount that can be fed to the battery is limited, so is the braking/slowing effect. “Regen braking will continue as it always does” is an inaccurate description of what happens. When regen braking is limited, your car will not slow down as rapidly - or at all unless you apply the brake pedal.

I appreciate your linking to my post but that’s not quite what I tried to get across. That may be my fault. What I tried to convey is that when Regen is limited if you are not to aggressive when lifting your foot (Regen brake lightly) that you can still recapture all the Regen energy by spreading the deceleration out over a longer distance (if you have the room). You just can’t “hard Regen brake” when it’s limited. But you can recapture most, if not all, the energy.

BTW if Regen is absent, coasting is the next most efficient thing you can do, and that is what Tesla does rather than “emulate Regen braking” which would be very inefficient.

• Informative
Reactions: Dre78
Yes it's normal and yes it will display a dotted line on the left of your power meter to indicate the limitation. The colder it gets, the more the dots fill in the left half of the power meter. When it's super cold or state of charge is very low, you'll start getting power limitations, indicated by dots on the right side of the power meter.

I believe the power limited dots on the right side come on if the battery gets too hot as well. In the autobahn test of a Model 3 done last year they were coming on after a while when the guy doing the testing kept doing kick downs on the autobahn.

Regenerative braking slows the vehicle by puttong energy back into the battery. When the amount that can be fed to the battery is limited, so is the braking/slowing effect. “Regen braking will continue as it always does” is an inaccurate description of what happens. When regen braking is limited, your car will not slow down as rapidly - or at all unless you apply the brake pedal.

I agree that what you quoted is inaccurate. But the point of the post he linked to is eluded in your last sentence. You said it won’t slow down as rapidly. Correct. So don’t do that, and you will get full regenation. Just don’t let it hit that limit. It’s quite easy to do. You don’t have to drive any slower. Just avoid tailgating and start your decelation earlier (less at once). Basically “chill” on the foot up.

Regen braking can put power into the battery at supercharger rates of over 75 kw. The M3 starts tapering down the supercharger rate to about 75 kw and below between about 50 to 70 % SOC. There's a chart somewhere on this forum with a lot of data points. Temperature is not charted but we know that has an additional effect.

• Informative
Reactions: mswlogo