Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Regen Limited" message on screen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, even if you don't have the power display on the binnacle, it'll pop it up for a few seconds when you power the car up if regen is limited, displaying a yellow warning triangle. But it goes away pretty quickly. It's not a very effective warning, but it does exist. It also tends to put up the warning triangle when the battery is almost but not quite warm enough to do full regen -- it flips back and forth between displaying the yellow dotted line, and not. Whenever it flips from no limit->limited, it displays the triangle for a few seconds. It's a little annoying, I think there used to be more hysteresis..

LOL that is hopelessly ineffective. I get regen limits for half the year, and never noticed that!

It's hard to notice if you habitually keep the power meter on the binnacle, as I do. I think I noticed it because it displays the triangle only for the first few seconds, and it bugged me enough to experiment and work out in some detail what was happening.

Yes I do habitually keep the power meter on the center screen. At least in the winter anyway. Once regen isn't an issue I might switch it to something else.

Reactions: jgs
You cannot charge lithium ion right around freezing temps without damaging the battery.

Again, I don't think it's accurate to say this with respect to all lithium ion batteries. Other EVs/PHEVs can get higher regen rates at lower temps than Teslas despite having much smaller battery packs. For example, I just did a quick test with my Volt which has been sitting unplugged out in <30F temps all morning, and I was able to get up to ~40kW of regen (2.5C) within a minute of turning it on decelerating from 60mph, and ~48kW (3C) seconds later on my 2nd attempt. (I believe it maxes out at 55-60kW.)

I welcome any correction if I'm wrong, but I believe this difference is due to the properties of NCA vs NMC battery chemistries.

If NCA is a chemistry that likes the heat, it will a nice change for the better, even if it means some reduced power and regen at the beginning of a drive.

I'm curious why you say that, especially living in Colorado.

Effective cooling addresses battery degradation concerns from hot temps. And until a pack is warmed up, your effective efficiency drops. And even with scavenging waste heat from the motor, it takes the Model 3 a significant amount of time to warm its pack. We've seen plenty of examples of disappointing Supercharging rates due to cold packs even after long highway drives.

So I see clear drawbacks for someone living in a mixed climate. What are the benefits?

Oh, right, I do recall that.

It's interesting that you're getting a message with a minor limit. The current Model S firmware doesn't even show you anything about regen unless you deliberately put the power display on the center screen. (The original non-autopilot firmware showed this status at all times.) So if you aren't aware of it, you'll have no indication until you hit zero regen. Of course you'll notice that the car drives a bit differently...

The Roadster seemed to have nothing intermediate between full regen and zero regen. It put up an icon "regen" when there was no regen. The Model 3 shows a warning: "Regenerative Braking Limited" but I have not tried to ascertain whether there is some regen or none at such times.

The Roadster has a big dial showing kW of power or regen, with numbers to tell you how many kW. The Model 3 has an almost invisible line, with no numbers. It's useless.

The Roadster seemed to have nothing intermediate between full regen and zero regen. It put up an icon "regen" when there was no regen. The Model 3 shows a warning: "Regenerative Braking Limited" but I have not tried to ascertain whether there is some regen or none at such times.

The Roadster has a big dial showing kW of power or regen, with numbers to tell you how many kW. The Model 3 has an almost invisible line, with no numbers. It's useless.

The Roadster tended to drop to zero when chilled, but it would feather back in again as it warmed up.

Tesla has been moving away from providing useful information to the driver. I've always wished we could see the pack temperature in the Model S. It would really help with understanding what range to expect when starting a long trip, for example.

Tesla has been moving away from providing useful information to the driver. I've always wished we could see the pack temperature in the Model S. It would really help with understanding what range to expect when starting a long trip, for example.

Doug, This reminds me of back when all the car manufacturers started ‘dumbing down’ engine instruments especially oil pressure and temperature gauges. They went from being relatively accurate indications of actual pressure/temperature fluctuations to the needle being stuck in the middle over very large actual changes. All in the name of ‘they don’t need to know’ and to keep complaints to a minimum.

Last edited:
Again, I don't think it's accurate to say this with respect to all lithium ion batteries. Other EVs/PHEVs can get higher regen rates at lower temps than Teslas despite having much smaller battery packs. For example, I just did a quick test with my Volt which has been sitting unplugged out in <30F temps all morning, and I was able to get up to ~40kW of regen (2.5C) within a minute of turning it on decelerating from 60mph, and ~48kW (3C) seconds later on my 2nd attempt. (I believe it maxes out at 55-60kW.)

I welcome any correction if I'm wrong, but I believe this difference is due to the properties of NCA vs NMC battery chemistries.

Yeah, you're likely right that NCA is more cold-sensitive, so my earlier statement around Li-ion was too general. I would also hope that the Bolt's charge management is smart enough to throttle where appropriate to maximize battery longevity. I'm not actually sure I trust other manufacturers yet to get this as optimized as Tesla.

Roadsters do have a ramp up from no regen right after a Range mode charge. Takes a few miles of driving to do it. You'll see the power meter go nowhere at first, then slightly to the left (maybe a few kw), ramping to 10 or so, then higher after that (by which time I'm on the freeway and don't know how long it takes). The "regen limited" icon is binary, however, either on or off. I don't think it turns off until regen is back to full strength.

Doug, This reminds me of back when all the car manufacturers started ‘dumbing down’ engine instruments especially oil pressure and temperature gauges. They went from being relatively accurate indications of actual pressure/temperature fluctuations to the needle being stuck in the middle over very large actual changes. All in the name of ‘they don’t need to know’ and to keep complaints to a minimum.

Funny you should mention this. On the Sprinter forum, new owners often freak because the temperature gauge shifts around so much. When you run the A/C, it will move about 15F every time the compressor kicks in.

Have the same regen limited warning on my 53xx VIN. It happens frequently in temps around 50 or lower. It is not a display bug as regen is noticeably lower. At same temps in same garage my S displays full regen available. Same context and overnight conditions.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
Have the same regen limited warning on my 53xx VIN. It happens frequently in temps around 50 or lower. It is not a display bug as regen is noticeably lower. At same temps in same garage my S displays full regen available. Same context and overnight conditions.

Has anyone called service to see what the error relates too? I got it this morning and it was charging all night, 18 degree C or 65 F today. Yesterday on way home heard a strange noticed in rear while driving in a parking lot and starting getting message "Breaking Disabled" and lost all reg braking. Today, the limited reg in very noticeable vs regular, it will not slow vehicle down, have to go back to using the brakes!!!

I just got back from the gym and noticed on the way there that regen was not working. After my work out I got in the car and had the regen braking is limited message. It’s 75% here at night. The car was fully charged and in my garage last night. Anyone understand what’s happenning?

I just got back from the gym and noticed on the way there that regen was not working. After my work out I got in the car and had the regen braking is limited message. It’s 75% here at night. The car was fully charged and in my garage last night. Anyone understand what’s happenning?
If by "fully charged" you mean a 100% range charge, it's expected that regen would be limited until you'd depleted the charge a bit (can't regen if there's no space to put the power). But that doesn't sound like what you're referring to, so I got nothin', sorry.