Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reinventing service...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yeah 4 services, at 12k miles, which covers you until you hit 48k. It is 12k OR 1 year. In this case you would be spending more on service per year than most, but you are also driving your car a lot more. I would think less service required would come out positive in your case, because that means you could stretch it out a bit further for your money (assuming the retroactively adjust the mileage for you guys).

I actually read on here that because Tesla announced the car only needs to be serviced once per year regardless of miles, that the 4 year plan would be for four services over four years regardless of miles.

If that is not the case over 4 years I will need:
8 services @ $3,600 or $4,800 if I don't prepay
10-12 additional tire rotations for about $1,000
I live over an hour from a service center so the time and wear and tear on my car are also additional costs

With the ICE I will need 20 total services including tire rotation. To break even those ICE services would have to be $230 each $290 if I don't prepay...which is on the high side.

The plan as a "one size fits all" is horrible. They need to lay it out clearly. This is really my only hesitation I have buying the car, it's going to cost a lot more to maintain than I originally thought. I was sucked in by being told that it was going to cost 1/3 to maintain than an IcE due to few moving parts.

t

To break even those ICE services would have to be $230 each $290 if I don't prepay...which is on the high side
I was sucked in by being told that it was going to cost 1/3 to maintain than an IcE due to few moving parts.

The Model S is still cheaper to maintain than an equivalent ICE. What it isn't is less expensive to maintain than a Toyota. But any BMW owner will laugh at you if you tell them $230 is on the high side for a service.

You have to keep in mind that this is a high-end performance vehicle. It's not just service that's more expensive, it's also parts & accessories. You're never going to be able to do a tire change for $600 again. You're not going to be able to fix a dent for $1000.

For a lot of people the Model S is 2 or 3 times more expensive than any vehicle than they've ever owned. And part of that gets mentally justified by offset in fuel cost etc. so that you may rationalize the purchase to yourself. But you have to always keep in mind - you're not buying an expensive Lexus here; you're buying a cheap M5.

According to edmunds, the cost to maintain an Audi A8 is $6,173 over 75,000 miles, we will call it $9,000 to adjust to 100k miles. It's not clear if this includes tires.

If I don't prepay for Tesla service it would cost me about $5,800. This definitely doesn't include tires.

So why do I keep hearing how it's so much cheaper to maintain compared to an ICE?

Now Tesla is going to promote this new no scheduled maintenance campaign.

I love Tesla but the whole maintenance or no maintenance is a mess. They need to be a little bit more black and white.

"Service Donation"?

First the sigs, now this :(

According to edmunds, the cost to maintain an Audi A8 is $6,173 over 75,000 miles, we will call it $9,000 to adjust to 100k miles. It's not clear if this includes tires.

If I don't prepay for Tesla service it would cost me about $5,800. This definitely doesn't include tires.

So why do I keep hearing how it's so much cheaper to maintain compared to an ICE?

I don't own an A8, so I don't know, but the most expensive Audi Care (their prepaid service plan) I've ever had to purchase was about 1500 if I'm remembering the number correctly. That took me to 50k miles. Even if it doubled after that, I'm still less than the should-need-less-maintenance Model S. This was on an R8 btw, the cost for the Q5 and A6 were much less (again, off the top of my head, but I remember about 700 and 950).

Now Tesla is going to promote this new no scheduled maintenance campaign.

I love Tesla but the whole maintenance or no maintenance is a mess. They need to be a little bit more black and white.

Agreed, though, if I may side with them for a moment: they probably didn't know either and are evolving their plan as they see the S in the real world.

I wouldn't be so sure. They did have the whole sig fiasco that turned out to be either a donation for a badge, or red paint(twice).
At least in those cases, there was something for them to point to that you did actually receive, even if it was of questionable value. In this case, you'd truly get absolutely nothing. I suppose they could give prepaid owners something of questionable value to make up for it, which is probably what will happen.

At least in those cases, there was something for them to point to that you did actually receive, even if it was of questionable value. In this case, you'd truly get absolutely nothing. I suppose they could give prepaid owners something of questionable value to make up for it, which is probably what will happen.

You get windshield wipers/tire rotations/car wash. That's something.

The electricity it takes you to get to your service center may be equivalent to the cost of windshield wipers (slight exaggeration), tires are generally rotated around 5000 miles so 12500 falls in between when you need one...I guess you could stretch it into 2 rotations at 6250 each. Not all service centers wash the cars and after seeing the swirls the left in someone's black paint I don't think I want them washing my car.

Took Roadster to Denver Service Wednesday and they rushed it inside as I was parking trailer in their impound area. Figured they would hose it down first before it went inside with all those shining beauties. Went inside to see there were NO other cars there, just my super-crusty 2.0. Outside there were just two MSes ready to be delivered back. Manager said that the new cars are getting much better, Engineering/Service gets right on each special case without delay, and Ranger visits continue to be effective. On Fridays they usually do get a good bit of 'nuisance' visits so would look more normal. If Denver's experience is typical this indicates TM really has things under control.
--

@dave - That's music to my ears! Thanks!

Incorrect. I purchased the extended warranty and it explicitly states it can be transferred to the new owner.

- - - Updated - - -

@Lloyd - more music for my ears! Thanks for passing that along!

I can verify that they are transferable. They were supposed to charge $100 for the transfer, but AFAIK it was not charged in the sale of my first ModelS

You did get something for your prepaid service. A discount. That's it. Why do people keep thinking you were going To get anything more than someone who just pays as they go for what tesla said from the beginning was a "prepaid service plan". You were simp,y giving tesla money ahead of time for the annual plan at a discount.

Perhaps because one of the bullet points was "hardware upgrades".

I actually read on here that because Tesla announced the car only needs to be serviced once per year regardless of miles, that the 4 year plan would be for four services over four years regardless of miles.

If that is not the case over 4 years I will need:
8 services @ $3,600 or $4,800 if I don't prepay
10-12 additional tire rotations for about $1,000
I live over an hour from a service center so the time and wear and tear on my car are also additional costs

With the ICE I will need 20 total services including tire rotation. To break even those ICE services would have to be $230 each $290 if I don't prepay...which is on the high side.

The plan as a "one size fits all" is horrible. They need to lay it out clearly. This is really my only hesitation I have buying the car, it's going to cost a lot more to maintain than I originally thought. I was sucked in by being told that it was going to cost 1/3 to maintain than an IcE due to few moving parts.

t

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/na_tesla_service_plan_agreement_ot.pdf
read the agreement, it says 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. And then breaks it down further to state the 4 intervals. On top of that if you go into the fine print at the bottom:

"Notwithstanding the date this Agreement is purchased or becomes effective, maintenance inspections must be performed within 1,000 miles or 30 days of the specified maintenance intervals for Your selected Plan. Any scheduled maintenance not completed within such time will be excluded and no maintenance inspections will be added as a replacement for any such excluded maintenance inspections."

So you are agreeing to meet their requirements or they can refuse you service and also not compensate you back for lost maintenance.

your point about "one size fits all" I think might be why they are considering a change. Because people are driving their cars far more than the average. So they are trying to work through that. From what I have gathered from people getting their cars serviced, the stuff they do during your service is not really anything special. Instead what is happening they are getting other things fixed or taken care of based on problems other people have had with the car. Even if you are not having the same issue yet, they are swapping out those things, like the pano roof and the B pillar fix, to name a few.

No one is really having anything done under normal wear and tear... Yet... Except for like, windshield wipers. What I am saying is the repairs you are seeing are more warrenty fixes than actual expected maintenance. Which means, the only "regular maintenance" you need (outside of consumables like breaks, lights, wipers, fluids) is the software updates.

I am not trying to upset anyone here or insight fear. I am sure they plan on changing things for the better of everyone. What that change is, is anyone's guess. I only hope those who have paid for services don't get totally screwed in the process.

I understand what the agreement says. When it was announced that the car didn't really need service every 12,500 miles and an annual check up was sufficient, a poster on this forum inquired with their service center and they were told that the prepaid service would cover 4 services regardless of miles.

The tire rotation thing is really driving me nuts. If you prepay for scheduled maintenance with any other car brand it includes all routine maintenance for x years and x miles. Yet I've read on here that if I prepay for service I have to also pay for a tire rotation in it doesn't fall in line with the annual service.

I'm hoping that the reinvention of service occurs before I buy my plan!

read the agreement, it says 4 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. And then breaks it down further to state the 4 intervals. On top of that if you go into the fine print at the bottom:

"Notwithstanding the date this Agreement is purchased or becomes effective, maintenance inspections must be performed within 1,000 miles or 30 days of the specified maintenance intervals for Your selected Plan. Any scheduled maintenance not completed within such time will be excluded and no maintenance inspections will be added as a replacement for any such excluded maintenance inspections."

So you are agreeing to meet their requirements or they can refuse you service and also not compensate you back for lost maintenance.

Tesla has amended and superseded the agreement with their new, stated policy that you only have to bring your car in on an annual basis and with no mileage restriction. Now it actually negatively affects those who drive fewer miles and benefits those who drive a lot. Per an email I received from Tesla regarding this exact issue:

Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors. We have loosened the mileage interval limitations. We have set the expectation that a 4 service plan is free of any type of mileage limitation but each annual service must be used in its given year. That is to say, to maximize the benefit of your plan, you would be best served by bringing your vehicle in annually to utilize all 4 visits. While we still recommend servicing the car every 12.5k miles, annual service is not a stipulation for maintaining your warranty, or extended warranty. If you have any other questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to reach out to me directly at (650)681-6788.

Best,

Derek Shu | Ownership Experience Advocate
3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
[email protected] | (877)79-TESLA

- - - Updated - - -

I understand what the agreement says. When it was announced that the car didn't really need service every 12,500 miles and an annual check up was sufficient, a poster on this forum inquired with their service center and they were told that the prepaid service would cover 4 services regardless of miles.

The tire rotation thing is really driving me nuts. If you prepay for scheduled maintenance with any other car brand it includes all routine maintenance for x years and x miles. Yet I've read on here that if I prepay for service I have to also pay for a tire rotation in it doesn't fall in line with the annual service.

I'm hoping that the reinvention of service occurs before I buy my plan!

I was told by my local service center that the pre-paid service plan includes all tire rotations at 5,000 mile intervals.