Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reinventing service...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As they should. They are paying for the exact same service, just not with the discount.

Most items worked on during annual service are warranty items. We are all paying just for wipers, key fob battery, rotation, alignment.

tomas can speak for himself but my feeling is that he was saying that people aren't paying anything and are getting the same service that folks who are bringing their cars in for an "Annual Service" are getting.

tomas can speak for himself but my feeling is that he was saying that people aren't paying anything and are getting the same service that folks who are bringing their cars in for an "Annual Service" are getting.

That's because the difference between paying at the door and pre-paying for four years is a savings of $125 per visit. It's the same service, you just get a discount if you pre-pay.

That's because the difference between paying at the door and pre-paying for four years is a savings of $125 per visit. It's the same service, you just get a discount if you pre-pay.

I think you still did not get what Al Sherman is saying:
I believe he means that paying for the annual service is the same as not paying anything and just using warranty to get a service. I too am a little confused about these two scenarios: 1. I pay for an annual service, bring the car in, get a service. 2. I bring the car in with some minor defect to be fixed, which gets fixed as part of warranty, and car is serviced too - I don't pay anything.

I think you still did not get what Al Sherman is saying: 2. I bring the car in with some minor defect to be fixed, which gets fixed as part of warranty, and car is serviced too - I don't pay anything.

Yes. Thank you. This is what I'm seeing. I still don't see the point in paying for an "Annual Service" or even asking for one. Folks who paid nothing are getting the same service and I'm not aware that the service center cares at all who paid for what. If anything. What do you get if you pay for an annual service that doesn't happen when anyone brings their car in and gets the window trim fixed? According to the list I get back when my car is in for service it seems as though they inspect it from top to bottom every time and fix many things that I was unaware are wrong. If Tesla is now saying that the "annual service" is unnecessary. I too am a little confused.

I would argue that during the first year the hardware upgrades are "prepaid" as part of the purchase of the car. After the one year anniversary, theoretically, the free upgrades should only be available to those who conducted their annual services. I have no idea if that's what is happening in reality.

J

I would argue that during the first year the hardware upgrades are "prepaid" as part of the purchase of the car. After the one year anniversary, theoretically, the free upgrades should only be available to those who conducted their annual services. I have no idea if that's what is happening in reality.

J

I don't think anyone is getting any hardware upgrades unless you pay for them specifically. I assume you do not consider replacement of defective hardware an upgrade.

My car is past its one year anniversary and was just in for service. All swapped hardware was listed as warranty, same as always. Still no word as to what qualifies as a hardware upgrade under my 4+4 service contract.

I had expected Tesla to retrofit hardware that improved the functionality of existing components on the car. But clearly Tesla has a different definition.

Yes. Thank you. This is what I'm seeing. I still don't see the point in paying for an "Annual Service" or even asking for one. Folks who paid nothing are getting the same service and I'm not aware that the service center cares at all who paid for what. If anything. What do you get if you pay for an annual service that doesn't happen when anyone brings their car in and gets the window trim fixed? According to the list I get back when my car is in for service it seems as though they inspect it from top to bottom every time and fix many things that I was unaware are wrong. If Tesla is now saying that the "annual service" is unnecessary. I too am a little confused.

Here is a PDF file offering a specific checklist of what is performed during the paid service. Certain wear-and-tear items are covered for replacement such as wiper blades, brake pads, air filters, key fob batteries, etc. The inspection appears to be quite thorough, right down to the suspension components. I don't know if the "courtesy inspections" that are done under warranty are as detailed.

My car is past its one year anniversary and was just in for service. All swapped hardware was listed as warranty, same as always. Still no word as to what qualifies as a hardware upgrade under my 4+4 service contract.

I had expected Tesla to retrofit hardware that improved the functionality of existing components on the car. But clearly Tesla has a different definition.

I hate to say this, but while hardware upgrades are mentioned on Tesla's web site under the service plans, there is no mention of hardware upgrades anywhere in the actual service contract.

I got the annual service since my car needed an alignment anyway. With that said, I don't think there's much value in paying for the service in the first year at least. If you take out the cost of alignment, I feel like I paid $400 for wiper blades and key fob batteries. All other items that was replaced or fixed were noted under warranty service.

Unless there are reports of material items being replaced or fixed (e.g. hardware upgrades), I'm not planning on getting the 2nd year service.

I got the annual service since my car needed an alignment anyway. With that said, I don't think there's much value in paying for the service in the first year at least. If you take out the cost of alignment, I feel like I paid $400 for wiper blades and key fob batteries. All other items that was replaced or fixed were noted under warranty service.

Unless there are reports of material items being replaced or fixed (e.g. hardware upgrades), I'm not planning on getting the 2nd year service.

My primary reason for getting the service is for the inspection. They inspect things I would never look at, and my presumption is that the paid vehicle inspection is more thorough and exhaustive than the courtesy inspection that is performed during warranty work. I wish Tesla would clarify this.

I prepaid for 4 years of service. I thought it was a pretty reasonable cost and I'm not interested in having to worry about whether something is covered or not covered. I've never had anything but great service with the Chicago service center, and the only inconvenience of having to do this is the driving part. I've had the car serviced now 4 times. Once I got a rental. Once I got a limo. Once I got a Roadster. Most recently (today) I got a P85+. All issues have been resolved to date, and when new ones come up (minor), they correct them.

Can't ask for anything better than that.

I prepaid for 4 years of service. I thought it was a pretty reasonable cost and I'm not interested in having to worry about whether something is covered or not covered. I've never had anything but great service with the Chicago service center, and the only inconvenience of having to do this is the driving part. I've had the car serviced now 4 times. Once I got a rental. Once I got a limo. Once I got a Roadster. Most recently (today) I got a P85+. All issues have been resolved to date, and when new ones come up (minor), they correct them.

AFAIK it covers 4 "annual service" visits, not unlimited service visits for 4 years. (a non-service warranty visit doesn't count towards those 4).

Did you have four service visits at every 12k miles, or were your visits to fix defects? If your visits were to fix defects, someone who never paid anything for service I believe would get the exact same treatment.

yo/iff, I see your points.

I'd rather pay up front for something I know I'm going to use and not have to worry about having to pay (more) for it when it's used. Plus, the comprehensive service they provide for warranty items and the service in general is worth it.

... I'd rather pay up front for something I know I'm going to use and not have to worry about having to pay (more) for it when it's used. Plus, the comprehensive service they provide for warranty items and the service in general is worth it.

I would (and did) do the same thing. But then when Elon says - you don't need the service, or that it is not worth €600 or whatever the number was in Oslo - I feel like I was scammed or at least betrayed. By the way, I got my car a month ago, paid for the 4 year service package, and obviously, haven't had any visits yet.

I hate to say this, but while hardware upgrades are mentioned on Tesla's web site under the service plans, there is no mention of hardware upgrades anywhere in the actual service contract.

Yes, thanks for pointing it out. This does not mean that Tesla is off the hook on hardware upgrades. There still exists a legal basis called parol evidence rule in which Tesla is obligated to provide hardware upgrades unless the contract specifically denies it (which it does not). Not arguing for a lawsuit or anything here, just saying that we can absolutely hold TM accountable.

My primary reason for getting the service is for the inspection. They inspect things I would never look at, and my presumption is that the paid vehicle inspection is more thorough and exhaustive than the courtesy inspection that is performed during warranty work. I wish Tesla would clarify this.

What exactly leads you to believe the service inspection is more thorough than the warranty inspection?

... This does not mean that Tesla is off the hook on hardware upgrades. There still exists a legal basis called parol evidence rule in which Tesla is obligated to provide hardware upgrades unless the contract specifically denies it (which it does not). Not arguing for a lawsuit or anything here, just saying that we can absolutely hold TM accountable...

Tesla has been pretty vague about a few feature they advertise heavily. Don't get me wrong, I am a big fan, but we should not hesitate to point out what can improved.

The "unlimited" mileage battery warranty, for example. Elon mentioned, in Oslo, that severe degradation of battery caused by over usage will not be covered by this warranty. So why emphasize the "unlimited" part for the bigger battery pack if the warranty is kinda similar for the smaller battery that comes with limited mileage? I mean I guess they only mean to cover complete failure of the pack, but when extremely overused, the line between complete failure, and severe degradation starts to fade.

So besides the on-going and constant debate between the value of prepaid service and those that did/didn't and their reasoning...

Is there any definitive news about what reinventing the service paradigm and what that really means?