Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Reject delivery and change to M3 LR from M3P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am almost ready to take my M3P with VIN number, finance check and paid down payment, and it is scheduled for delivery this week.
But after doing some research, I consider to change the M3P to M3LR because I never track and the road of bay area is terrible for M3P. Besides I was ordering M3P due to its good looking, and I found the wheel cover can be changed easily.

The question now is:
If I decline the delivery, release the car, edit the design to M3LR(18'' wheel), Does it put me back to the end of LR queue ?
1. I found quite a lot of people get VIN assigned again so quickly(less than one month) after they declined the delivery or resume after the hold.
2. But when I talked to the SA, he told me that I might need to wait til the end of year according to the timeline show in the Tesla website, due to going back to the queue.

Do you know which one is corrected ? I do not find similar cases here so trying to looking for help.
I am planning get the car within two months so the APR rate can be locked. Otherwise, I might consider to keep M3P.
Thanks guys.

You are talking about changing car models, and from the more expensive (less purchased) one to the more popular (more backordered) one. I would expect to have to wait if I were you, because it will be like you are ordering now.
From what I read from this forums:
1. If no VIN assigned, changing configs for one model should not push you to back of the queue, but right position according to the RN number and spec.
2. If no VIN assigned, changing model(between LR, SR, P) should change you to another queue, but not the end of that queue. But I am not very sure actually.
3. If VIN assigned, reject delivery or put on hold, definitely will not push you back of the queue, and always will be very fast, likely next few batches.

But for my case: VIN assigned, reject delivery and change models, I did not find that case here. I guess it should be like case 3 above, but not sure.
Actually, I found here is a case similar to me: VIN assigned(it is LR), reject delivery(due to paints) and change color config, just get EDD extending two weeks.
I asked a lot of SAs, most of them are saying that it will be pushed to the end of queue and I should take it immediately, except one delivery manager told me that I might get my car around one month due to RN number reserved. Even a few SA told me that the price will be the latest price for the change, which is definitely wrong. I would say the SA is not very trustable.

From what I read from this forums:
1. If no VIN assigned, changing configs for one model should not push you to back of the queue, but right position according to the RN number and spec.
2. If no VIN assigned, changing model(between LR, SR, P) should change you to another queue, but not the end of that queue. But I am not very sure actually.
3. If VIN assigned, reject delivery or put on hold, definitely will not push you back of the queue, and always will be very fast, likely next few batches.

But for my case: VIN assigned, reject delivery and change models, I did not find that case here. I guess it should be like case 3 above, but not sure.
Actually, I found here is a case similar to me: VIN assigned(it is LR), reject delivery(due to paints) and change color config, just get EDD extending two weeks.
I asked a lot of SAs, most of them are saying that it will be pushed to the end of queue and I should take it immediately, except one delivery manager told me that I might get my car around one month due to RN number reserved. Even a few SA told me that the price will be the latest price for the change, which is definitely wrong. I would say the SA is not very trustable.

This is tesla... you are not going to get any sort of enforceable guarantee on anything related to delivery. They are called "estimated" delivery dates for a reason. It also says directly in the order agreement that you agreed to that its an estimate. The reason you are not finding a consensus is because there are a lot of variables at play.

Its not like anything anyone says here would change anything in your situation, no matter what we (or your SAs / Delivery managers etc) say. Hope you figure out what you want to do.

This is tesla... you are not going to get any sort of enforceable guarantee on anything related to delivery. They are called "estimated" delivery dates for a reason. It also says directly in the order agreement that you agreed to that its an estimate. The reason you are not finding a consensus is because there are a lot of variables at play.

Its not like anything anyone says here would change anything in your situation, no matter what we (or your SAs / Delivery managers etc) say. Hope you figure out what you want to do.

I am just trying to figure out the strategies of the EDD and priority, because it must be a program run by computer. I am not asking them for any guarantee, but just ask the strategies and possibilities.
Actually the SAs either do not know it, or do not want to make it clear. But I can totally understand.
Thanks anyway !

from what I have seen, its all over the place. People rejecting VIN and getting another soon, other getting it super late. People switching from RWD to LR or P and getting VIN within a week. But I havent seen people switching from P down to LR.
My guess is you wont be sent back to the queue but rather the point when you created order. So if the LR orders from the date you placed your P order are planned to be delivered 2 months from now, you will likely get your LR around that time frame.

What was your OD?

from what I have seen, its all over the place. People rejecting VIN and getting another soon, other getting it super late. People switching from RWD to LR or P and getting VIN within a week. But I havent seen people switching from P down to LR.
My guess is you wont be sent back to the queue but rather the point when you created order. So if the LR orders from the date you placed your P order are planned to be delivered 2 months from now, you will likely get your LR around that time frame.

What was your OD?
od was originally Feb-12, and change color at Apr-20, and delivery date is today.
If reject, od will be today or Feb ?

LR orders from March are just now getting fulfilled in CA, so seems like a couple of months. I’d estimate two months from your order date as a worst case and plan for that. It could come in a couple of weeks though too, the ordering process is hard to predict.
You got your new car after two weeks, right ? My original OD is Feb, so it should be very quick if I switch to LR and keep the reservation as priority