Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went with my friend today to pick up his AWD white on black.

Right on arrival to the waiting area, they wanted him to sign paper work first. But my friend declined before inspection. Had to wait 45 min as the car is still on the truck to Powell.

The rubber seal at the back door popped up. Ryan, the delivery manager said that normal coz of the temperature difference? He said just use double sided tape and it'll be fixed. He did offered to fit that.

There were 3 other white there (RWD). All have alignment issue. One of the buyer already signed the document and bought insurance before seeing the car. After he saw the car, he wanted to walk away coz of the alignment issue.

In the end, my friend rejected the car due to the alignment. The front bumper is way off. Ryan said it's within Tesla tolerance. I think Craftsman Collision did a better job repairing car than Tesla building one.

Strange thing is, the rest of the colors have minor mis-alignment, not as bad the the white ones.

• Funny
Reactions: Lucy903 and P85_DA

Right on arrival to the waiting area, they wanted him to sign paper work first. But my friend declined before inspection. Had to wait 45 min as the car is still on the truck to Powell.

The rubber seal at the back door popped up. Ryan, the delivery manager said that normal coz of the temperature difference? He said just use double sided tape and it'll be fixed. He did offered to fit that.

There were 3 other white there (RWD). All have alignment issue. One of the buyer already signed the document and bought insurance before seeing the car. After he saw the car, he wanted to walk away coz of the alignment issue.

In the end, my friend rejected the car due to the alignment. The front bumper is way off. Ryan said it's within Tesla tolerance. I think Craftsman Collision did a better job repairing car than Tesla building one.

Strange thing is, the rest of the colors have minor mis-alignment, not as bad the the white ones.

Good call for see the car before sign the paper, do you have any photos of the misaligned bumpers that you can share?

Good for your friend... should not accept if not up to his standards. Many on this forum could learn from his actions.

Yeah, I am the person who rejected my delivery yesterday. I ordered a LR AWD white Model 3 with black interior. I probably should have taken pictures to share, but I want to provide my delivery experience at the Vancouver Powell location.

Arriving at the delivery centre, it was actually less busy than what I expected. It had structure and I felt that people were being processed at a fair speed, given the popularity of the vehicle. They were running a few minutes late and my original intended delivery appointment at 1:00PM was more like 1:30PM. That didn't bother me and they at least had some beverages to tie you over and the weather was great.

Around 1:15PM, the delivery manager wanted to show me my car, but it actually wasn't there. To speed things up, he wanted me to start the paper work before my car was even there. I declined, but I must have been asked to do paper work at least three times. I didn't feel pressure to sign, but it was clear he preferred to do all the paper work upfront before even looking at the car.

When the car arrived, the delivery manager didn't check up on me. I thought this was great because I didn't have pressure and I could spend as much time as I wanted with inspecting the car. The issues that lead to my rejection were:
  • Front bumper (The part of the bumper underneath the fog lights). The finish was very rough and ragged. It was very visible upfront. If I were to run my finger fast across it, it would have cut. I was taking delivery with two other SR+ white model 3's beside mine and theirs were smooth.

• Gap between the left front headlight had a paint chip.

• Rear side panel had adhesive leftovers. Very visible and when this was pointed out, they were able to buff it out, but it left scratches on the car.

• Rear passenger door has a portion of the door seals bubbling out.

• Headlights drooped down. It's almost like the headlights wasn't aligned properly. All the white model 3's had this issue. Blue and black model 3's seemed better aligned for some reason.

• The panelling beside the left headlight looked like it was sitting above the panel it was connecting to. All the white model 3's had this issue, but mine was more pronounced. Oddly enough, the black and blue model 3's were not exactly flush, but much better and within reason that it wouldn't have been a problem.
As for inconsistencies with the panel gaps, it didn't bother me and I thought it was reasonable. The chrome trims were leveled correctly as well. I didn't really check the interior as carefully, but it seemed solid. There was a stained thumbprint on my roof headliner which most likely could have been removed, but I imagine someone didn't wash their hands after lunch when they were installing it.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed because I really love Tesla. I still intend on getting one, but I have to admit it left a bad taste. I think delivery personnel could have done this better. The manager said the paint chip would be taken care of, but he had to ask if smoothing out the front bumper was possible because it could be within spec. Fortunately, he got permission, so they at least could have fixed that. They offered to use double sided tape to fix the door seal bubbling, but all the other issues would not be fixed.

Personally, I didn't really mind the manager. I feel for him. I'm sure he has been working long hours to get through delivery. I feel like they need to step back and address quality. Reasons given to me about quality was that if I was following Tesla for a while, I should expect issues because that's what they are known for. That wasn't his exact words, but this is actually what he meant. All that I hope is that delivery staff are taking notes and at least letting Tesla know. I didn't get any sense of that during my delivery experience. I love Tesla for their iterative design, so I hope the right information is being communicated.

In the end, I rejected delivery because of these issues and my car showed the worst issues compared to the other white models. I'm not sure what about the white models are different in that the build quality seems off compared to the other colours, but when you pay extra for it, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect similar quality. I hope it's a batch issue and probably will try my luck in a few months instead or even delay it for the year. I'm currently going through the refund process, but there doesn't seem to be any issue with that. I'll update if there is an issue with refunding.

E34F2644-7382-4F63-A0EA-990E5C5A5ADD.jpeg
FB818758-7E0B-4D58-8B0D-6B24AE453596.jpeg

Attachments

• AB64688F-0EF8-43DC-907B-FFA2F39E9D67.jpeg
    AB64688F-0EF8-43DC-907B-FFA2F39E9D67.jpeg
    558.1 KB · Views: 133
Sorry your car was not up to snuff.

Tons of posts about customers that had these minor body panel fits adjusted to their desire with a trip to the Service Center, but understand your desire to have it fitting better before accepting it for delivery. Maybe something specific to Canada.

Strange that your delivery center would not be happy to arrange for it to be re-aligned. Maybe they could not do it right then due to high volumes of delivery, but should have been willing to have it noted on due bill.

I had a slight panel gap on my X, but not bad enough to reject. They did fix it when I took the car in to be Uncorked (decreased 0-60 time from 6.1 to 4.9 seconds) without even asking. They also re-aligned my headlights to a newer spec, updated my firmware and installed a newer part on my fold down rear seats. All at no charge. Best service I have owned on any car, period.

Lots of volumes of Model 3 going into Canada right now. Hope they get a handle on fit and finish.

Seems like people should order a black or blue 3. My Sept 18 build and delivery of a red 3 was in the shop for a total of 6 days to get 7 issues fixed. Took me 5 weeks to get into the shop but all my misaligned chrome trim, sideview mirror caps, chipped tail light, and paint issues were resolved. Too bad things like this are “within” spec now and the manager told you Tesla was known for “issues.” Hopefully things improve or you can roll the dice and order another 3 in black or blue. I was regretting my trade-in of my Model S for the 3 at first, but driving a 3 now seems right for me.

Reactions: ColoradoFun
Seems like people should order a black or blue 3. My Sept 18 build and delivery of a red 3 was in the shop for a total of 6 days to get 7 issues fixed. Took me 5 weeks to get into the shop but all my misaligned chrome trim, sideview mirror caps, chipped tail light, and paint issues were resolved. Too bad things like this are “within” spec now and the manager told you Tesla was known for “issues.” Hopefully things improve or you can roll the dice and order another 3 in black or blue. I was regretting my trade-in of my Model S for the 3 at first, but driving a 3 now seems right for me.

I wonder if it's something about white that makes these things look like more of an issue? I have a year old midnight gray. By all accounts it should be a mess of panel alignment and issues but I have no fit/finish problems with it whatsoever and I've washed it many times by hand so I know every inch.

Perhaps also these issues are easily adjusted by the SC and people don't need to be rejecting - do we know for sure that they can easily adjust panels? Presumably the panels are all the perfect size/shape and the mounting points are all in the same spots so there's nothing stopping them being (re-)aligned properly?

Did they give you a loaner car during that 6 days?

I really wanted to make it work out. If the manager said he would re-align, sure, I'd definitely want to see this happen. It was already concerning to me when the manager had to confirm if the SC would even smooth out the bumper. This shouldn't be within factory spec to begin with.

It seems the SC in the USA will address these issues for their customers. I really hope it's just a timing issue with the popularity of the rebates and that this is affecting their level of service.

In the end, every single customer who was picking up their white model 3 were in the same dillema. I just had more issues and it was easier for me to reject it. The others did their insurance paperwork before they received the car, so it was already a hassle for them.

• Helpful
Reactions: fbitz777
I really wanted to make it work out. If the manager said he would re-align, sure, I'd definitely want to see this happen. It was already concerning to me when the manager had to confirm if the SC would even smooth out the bumper. This shouldn't be within factory spec to begin with.

It seems the SC in the USA will address these issues for their customers. I really hope it's just a timing issue with the popularity of the rebates and that this is affecting their level of service.

In the end, every single customer who was picking up their white model 3 were in the same dillema. I just had more issues and it was easier for me to reject it. The others did their insurance paperwork before they received the car, so it was already a hassle for them.
What did the manager say when you said you were going to reject it? And also what does "rejecting" it mean? I know you don't take the car and give them money but does it mean they will find a different car for you or fix it for you? Or are you just saying no and not getting a tesla.

What did the manager say when you said you were going to reject it? And also what does "rejecting" it mean? I know you don't take the car and give them money but does it mean they will find a different car for you or fix it for you? Or are you just saying no and not getting a tesla.

They won't address all the issues or at least try. I'm waiting for a follow up e-mail, so we'll see what the next steps are.

The other two white model 3 customers got the same response. The messaging was that if they didn't want their car, Tesla will just find another person to buy it.

Reasons given to me about quality was that if I was following Tesla for a while, I should expect issues because that's what they are known for. That wasn't his exact words, but this is actually what he meant. All that I hope is that delivery staff are taking notes and at least letting Tesla know. I didn't get any sense of that during my delivery experience.

the fact that they aren’t seeming to care to track this to improve themselves is troublesome and I hope they do get more delivery rejections because of it, rather than people accepting it. They have had plenty of time to improve themselves, but if people are just accepting it then I understand why they aren’t fixing it. They will only respond to things that affect their cash flow. Not complaints.
I hope I don’t wind up in your position because I am really looking forward to getting one. But I’m also very picky..