Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejected delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I am the person who rejected my delivery yesterday. I ordered a LR AWD white Model 3 with black interior. I probably should have taken pictures to share, but I want to provide my delivery experience at the Vancouver Powell location.

Arriving at the delivery centre, it was actually less busy than what I expected. It had structure and I felt that people were being processed at a fair speed, given the popularity of the vehicle. They were running a few minutes late and my original intended delivery appointment at 1:00PM was more like 1:30PM. That didn't bother me and they at least had some beverages to tie you over and the weather was great.

Around 1:15PM, the delivery manager wanted to show me my car, but it actually wasn't there. To speed things up, he wanted me to start the paper work before my car was even there. I declined, but I must have been asked to do paper work at least three times. I didn't feel pressure to sign, but it was clear he preferred to do all the paper work upfront before even looking at the car.

When the car arrived, the delivery manager didn't check up on me. I thought this was great because I didn't have pressure and I could spend as much time as I wanted with inspecting the car. The issues that lead to my rejection were:
  • Front bumper (The part of the bumper underneath the fog lights). The finish was very rough and ragged. It was very visible upfront. If I were to run my finger fast across it, it would have cut. I was taking delivery with two other SR+ white model 3's beside mine and theirs were smooth.

• Gap between the left front headlight had a paint chip.

• Rear side panel had adhesive leftovers. Very visible and when this was pointed out, they were able to buff it out, but it left scratches on the car.

• Rear passenger door has a portion of the door seals bubbling out.

• Headlights drooped down. It's almost like the headlights wasn't aligned properly. All the white model 3's had this issue. Blue and black model 3's seemed better aligned for some reason.

• The panelling beside the left headlight looked like it was sitting above the panel it was connecting to. All the white model 3's had this issue, but mine was more pronounced. Oddly enough, the black and blue model 3's were not exactly flush, but much better and within reason that it wouldn't have been a problem.
As for inconsistencies with the panel gaps, it didn't bother me and I thought it was reasonable. The chrome trims were leveled correctly as well. I didn't really check the interior as carefully, but it seemed solid. There was a stained thumbprint on my roof headliner which most likely could have been removed, but I imagine someone didn't wash their hands after lunch when they were installing it.

I guess I'm just a bit disappointed because I really love Tesla. I still intend on getting one, but I have to admit it left a bad taste. I think delivery personnel could have done this better. The manager said the paint chip would be taken care of, but he had to ask if smoothing out the front bumper was possible because it could be within spec. Fortunately, he got permission, so they at least could have fixed that. They offered to use double sided tape to fix the door seal bubbling, but all the other issues would not be fixed.

Personally, I didn't really mind the manager. I feel for him. I'm sure he has been working long hours to get through delivery. I feel like they need to step back and address quality. Reasons given to me about quality was that if I was following Tesla for a while, I should expect issues because that's what they are known for. That wasn't his exact words, but this is actually what he meant. All that I hope is that delivery staff are taking notes and at least letting Tesla know. I didn't get any sense of that during my delivery experience. I love Tesla for their iterative design, so I hope the right information is being communicated.

In the end, I rejected delivery because of these issues and my car showed the worst issues compared to the other white models. I'm not sure what about the white models are different in that the build quality seems off compared to the other colours, but when you pay extra for it, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect similar quality. I hope it's a batch issue and probably will try my luck in a few months instead or even delay it for the year. I'm currently going through the refund process, but there doesn't seem to be any issue with that. I'll update if there is an issue with refunding.
I'm going to pick up my SR+ blue on black from Vancouver next week, hopefully it's in better shape than your car, what a nightmare. I'm gonna be sure to push to see it before signing anything.

Wow, sounds like a pain in the a** now maybe because of the introduction of SR/SR+. Tesla simply has too much on their plate to better control the quality of their vehicles. After the delivery of my blue LR, they gave me 72 hours to identify all the problems. Are they still doing this? I've just managed to find 1 small issue which I didn't even bother to bring it in.

Here in the US I was never told about the 3 day policy nor given anything to acknowledge that policy. I only found out when I found an issue and now they won't fix it .

Sorry your car was not up to snuff.

Tons of posts about customers that had these minor body panel fits adjusted to their desire with a trip to the Service Center, but understand your desire to have it fitting better before accepting it for delivery. Maybe something specific to Canada.

Strange that your delivery center would not be happy to arrange for it to be re-aligned. Maybe they could not do it right then due to high volumes of delivery, but should have been willing to have it noted on due bill.

I had a slight panel gap on my X, but not bad enough to reject. They did fix it when I took the car in to be Uncorked (decreased 0-60 time from 6.1 to 4.9 seconds) without even asking. They also re-aligned my headlights to a newer spec, updated my firmware and installed a newer part on my fold down rear seats. All at no charge. Best service I have owned on any car, period.

Lots of volumes of Model 3 going into Canada right now. Hope they get a handle on fit and finish.
I think the service experience have already changed or will change in the coming months. A coworker was also denied service for cosmetic issues. I have a feeling Tesla is clamping down on post delivery repairs after Elon's email about monitoring costs.

They can’t force you to sign. I won’t be signing until I thoroughly check everything including if it’s HW 3.0.

OP, Sorry to hear about the bad experience.

I am taking delivery next week in Vancouver supposedly (white SR+)- guess I will be dealing with the same issues.

How does one check if the HW is 3.0, what do I hae to navigate on the menu screen to show that the HW is 2.5 or 3.0?

Thnaks in advance for the help!

I wonder if it's something about white that makes these things look like more of an issue? I have a year old midnight gray. By all accounts it should be a mess of panel alignment and issues but I have no fit/finish problems with it whatsoever and I've washed it many times by hand so I know every inch.

Perhaps also these issues are easily adjusted by the SC and people don't need to be rejecting - do we know for sure that they can easily adjust panels? Presumably the panels are all the perfect size/shape and the mounting points are all in the same spots so there's nothing stopping them being (re-)aligned properly?
I think people are rejecting delivery because it takes 5 weeks to get the car into the shop, and 6-7 days for the repair as indicated by an earlier post. Understandably, there's a loaner. It's just the inconvenience of it all is what I'm assuming.

In the 1980s I took delivery of a new BMW. The dealer rep advised that it wouldn't be ready until later in the day and he would bring it to my office in the early evening. It was dark by that time. Four years later, when I was about to hand the car over to a purchaser, I noticed very slight dents on each side of the car, almost opposite each other, on the doors. I had never noticed these during the time I owned the car. I knew that they had not been caused in my time and concluded that they must have been there when I took original delivery. As though the car had been very lightly squeezed, maybe in transport from the factory. I realised then why the car had been delivered to me after dark!

Yeah, I am the person who rejected my delivery yesterday. I ordered a LR AWD white Model 3 with black interior. I probably should have taken pictures to share, but I want to provide my delivery experience at the Vancouver Powell location.

I hope it's a batch issue and probably will try my luck in a few months instead or even delay it for the year. I'm currently going through the refund process, but there doesn't seem to be any issue with that. I'll update if there is an issue with refunding.

Thanks for sharing, that is disappointing but I agree with your evaluation. The flaws you listed are just bad enough to be concerned with trusting they would be acceptably fixed.

I can relate because you're experience is exactly what I was expecting when my Model 3 was delivered, but I was lucky and found no issues that I couldn't easily clean myself. I offer this as encouragement for you to try again since I believe the car you were offered was not what most Model 3's are like.

In some areas, usually congested cities, where Tesla are very popular, the service centers can get pretty booked up. In other areas the service centers (and Superchargers) are much easier to fit you in.

Since Tesla are eligible for free single access to the HOV lanes in most cities, that is where they tend to have more volume. In those congested areas the free, single person, access to Car Pool lanes and the use of Autopilot during long commutes make the cars very desirable.

Someone who takes their car in for a issue, and has it fixed while they wait is usually not going to post about their experience, but someone that waits for over a week to get their car back, and perhaps gets a gasser loaner, is going to be hot under the collar.

Tesla is delivering twice the volume of cars as a year ago. It will take a while for service and Superchargers to catch up.

Elon has mentioned that Tesla does not have enough money to pre-build infrastructure, with all the employees sitting around with little to do, in anticipation of future volumes. Trying to build just in time facilities, but some areas are simply overwhelmed.

In California the gas prices have jumped to over $4/gallon. This brings lots of customers into the showrooms.

As far as body panel fittment, it is not something that effects the drivability or usability of the vehicle. It will operate just fine with a panel gap. Personal pride comes into the picture, as people buying a new car have come to expect good panel fits. In the 70's panel fits were horrible compared to todays precision built cars. Nobody cared then, but now the standards are much higher.

F8F4F564-00F7-4808-9F2F-B15C35787AF0.jpeg
F47B1B60-776C-4255-AB02-00A592B130F5.jpeg
1A608990-E56E-44FD-AF03-5054110B9013.jpeg
I received my white model 3 manufactured 5/2019 absolutely no problems

Will do, and they have yet to actually give me a VIN (apparently it's assigned but I can't find it on my account anywhere), but my tentative date is June 13th at 11:30am. I ordered May 4th, so it's been quite a wait!

I noticed my VIN didn't show up in Source code until after i submitted Insurance and Payment options (which i also did after already receiving a text for tentative delivery date). Then i was directed to a new page for 'Next Steps' and 'Completed Tasks'. And hopefully your VIN will be there in Source Code.

Hello everyone. I had a similar experience here in So. Cal. Went to pick up my Midnight Metallic SR+ about 3 weeks ago and my delivery rep said he aimed to get me out in about 15 minutes (that was a red flag). He suggested that we complete the paperwork before seeing the car to which I said no. Lucky (unlucky) for me, we found a number of issues with the car. The steering wheel appeared to have been gouged with a hard object (a key or screw driver?), the gap between the driver side door and front fender was wider than normal (there was another M3 next to us that we fortunately got to compare it to) and the passenger side door trim was not aligned.

The delivery manager said they would fix the window trim and steering wheel but not the door/fender gap (said it was in spec). He was off putting and essentially said I needed to sign the paperwork and walked away. I believe my delivery rep sensed I was going to reject the car and said he wasn't going to have me sign anything I didn't feel comfortable with. I asked what were my options and he said I can wait for another car or request a refund. I said I was willing to wait and he said he would check to see how long the wait would be. 15 minutes later, he said they had the exact build as my order and they would swap the cars. Fortunately, the M3 I ended up with was of much better build quality compared to the original they rolled out.

Moral of the story: Do not sign anything before inspecting the car thoroughly (I brought the M3 inspection checklist with me), take your time inspecting, and don't settle. I did feel rushed at times when I was completing my inspection but hell, I'm shelling out the cash so they can wait.

I’ll be there tomorrow morning. I’m not going to sign for a car I haven’t seen yet, that is just a non starter as far as I’m concerned. I really don’t care what they say their procedure is. I know the vin, I can just walk down there in the garage and look for myself.
Also, lemme know if the delivery is done in the underground parking?

If that's the case, I'll need to bring my own lighting.