Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rejecting my 2020 Tesla M3P after 4 months of ownership. Sad day

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven’t read up recently on the Consumer Rights Act but worth checking that you haven’t undermined your right to reject by 1) allowing them to repair the car; and/or 2) continuing to use it. Might not be an issue if the outstanding issues are caught by the Act/reported within the necessary time scales. It’s also worth reading up on the Consumer Credit Act.

A few thoughts on how you might (and might not) move forward:

Best moves:
  • Seek advice from Citizens Advice and/or trading standards
  • Give Tesla a final chance to resolve it the easy way. Write to the finance arm with your issues, the resolution you are seeking and your intentions if they don’t. Recorded delivery can’t hurt and gives the message you’re not going away
  • Start Alternative Dispute Resolution: Car finance
  • You could suggest and/or get an independent assessment of the car
I wouldn’t want anybody to be ‘that’ guy in the last two categories:

Bold move: If you’ve decided it’s going back whatever and you are 1000% confident in your case you could terminate, hand back the keys and argue the toss. Potentially if you are wrong you end up paying a wedge. Read your agreement so you understand the consequences of termination and get legal advice if you’re thinking of doing this.

Waste of time: Threatening media / BBC Watchdog / placards etc. Need to be careful of the big dogs. You don’t want to be on the defending end of a cease & desist / libel case. I’m sure you know Tesla have very deep pockets and can afford very expensive lawyers. They’re not necessarily likely to do this but just because the dog doesn’t bark, doesn’t mean it won’t bite.

Keep us posted.

I think its best left to a judge to decide.
Can see what thats going to look like!

EM Judge.jpg

I imagine this process is not going to be quick, but i'd like to keep up to date as I think this will help a lot of owners that find themselves in similar situations and hopefully when(if) you win this, it will be a boon for the rest of them.

I imagine this process is not going to be quick, but i'd like to keep up to date as I think this will help a lot of owners that find themselves in similar situations and hopefully when(if) you win this, it will be a boon for the rest of them.
Your are certainly right. Tesla are digging their heels in. From their point of view the car is of satisfactory quality and the issues i'm having are either not covered by warranty or allegedly not present at the point of delivery or not part of the key functioning of the car which their justification for not accepting rejection ha!. It has been officially 1 month since my letter of rejection to Tesla and i have made zero progress on this. Next stop financial ombudsman.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
@M3PBOSS its interesting to read this post because I am searching for most common electronic/electrical faults on Teslas and other issues as yours are very common. I am sad to see what you have to go through because as I can imagine is so frustrating. I am looking forward to hearing where this journey with tesla takes you and wish you the win you surely and most of all deserve

Latest update: After getting absolutely no where with Tesla customer support who suggested that i rebook with the service centre for 8th time to resolve the outstanding problems with the car, Tesla financial services became involved after i referred the case to the financial ombudsman service. Tesla financial services based in Germany seemed far more sympathetic and receptive to my request of a fair resolution. After 3 weeks of Tesla financial services mulling over what they think would be a fair resolution, they have come up with £1200 in compensation and have advised me to return to the service centre for an 8th time but will arrange a master technician to work on the car to bring it up to a satisfactory standard. As you can imagine, i have rejected this offer and we are back to square one with likely a further 3-4 weeks to even get a response from Tesla financial services. The shambolic story continues...

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Latest update: Tesla have informed me that they will be replacing my M3P with a brand new M3P at no extra cost to me. After 5 months of battling and stress i have finally arrived at the outcome i wanted in the first place. The moral of this story is know your rights and don't be afraid to exercise them. I did not have to commence court proceedings or need assistance from the financial ombudsman.

Thanks for your persistence. It is owners like you who are hopefully paving the way to some sensible resolutions from them for all of us. I wonder what flipped their switch. Did you threaten Court proceedings to anyone?
Thanks for that. I referred the case to the ombudsman and that prompted some big wigs in the Tesla financial Services department who are based in Germany to find a solution before the ombudsman got involved. I got absolutely nowhere with Tesla Customer services UK who were diabolical and in the end started claiming that some of the manufacturing problems were not present on delivery and just advised me to go back to the service centre for the 8th time

• Informative
Reactions: NewbieT
Latest update: Tesla have informed me that they will be replacing my M3P with a brand new M3P at no extra cost to me. After 5 months of battling and stress i have finally arrived at the outcome i wanted in the first place. The moral of this story is know your rights and don't be afraid to exercise them. I did not have to commence court proceedings or need assistance from the financial ombudsman.
Well done for persevering with this, and great result!