Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Relocating to UK - take Tesla with??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have successfully moved my MS to the UK with the help from electricboat here finally. Here is the overall picture of how they made it happened. It all started out back in Jan this year:

1. My Tesla was inspected by the team, in HK they changed the computer to UK map, units, etc before sending it out
2. They helped me to ship the car from HK to UK, meanwhile you'll prepare all the information needed to import the car: address proof in the UK, VIN document etc
3. It took around 6 months for my car to arrive, you can perform some minimal tracking of the cargo ship in a website
4. Meanwhile I chose to install a a home charger by purchasing a home charger from Tesla website and it took me two months to find the right electrician to install my home charger
5. MOT was passed and they can go ahead to apply for further import
6. You got a chance to take your car from the port or delivered to your uk home I chose to have it delivered for the sake of convenience at an extra cost
6. waited further for the processing of applications i.e. the approval of your car to drive on the road
7. Once you got the documents mailed to you from DVLA, I was so excited and all you have to do is to go outside and grab your license plate, have it printed out with your document proof
8. Right now I am waiting for my UK Tesla service centre appointment and have my sim replaced. I am not sure why they didn't respond to my request of mailing in the new sim to me..

Again thanks so much for their help and work to make it happen! I enjoyed driving my own car and start my new adventure on the roads of UK! :D
Hi 👋🏼 , may I ask if the SIM card replacement success eventually? If yes, could you share the experience with us? Thanks in advance 🙏🏼

I have successfully moved my MS to the UK with the help from electricboat here finally. Here is the overall picture of how they made it happened. It all started out back in Jan this year:

1. My Tesla was inspected by the team, in HK they changed the computer to UK map, units, etc before sending it out
2. They helped me to ship the car from HK to UK, meanwhile you'll prepare all the information needed to import the car: address proof in the UK, VIN document etc
3. It took around 6 months for my car to arrive, you can perform some minimal tracking of the cargo ship in a website
4. Meanwhile I chose to install a a home charger by purchasing a home charger from Tesla website and it took me two months to find the right electrician to install my home charger
6. You got a chance to take your car from the port or delivered to your uk home I chose to have it delivered for the sake of convenience at an extra cost
6. waited further for the processing of applications i.e. the approval of your car to drive on the road
7. Once you got the documents mailed to you from DVLA, I was so excited and all you have to do is to go outside and grab your license plate, have it printed out with your document proof
8. Right now I am waiting for my UK Tesla service centre appointment and have my sim replaced. I am not sure why they didn't respond to my request of mailing in the new sim to me..

Again thanks so much for their help and work to make it happen! I enjoyed driving my own car and start my new adventure on the roads of UK! :D
Thanks for your sharing mozillach.
Would you share with us:
2, for the address proof in UK, if one has got one in UK, how to proceed? can one use friends' UK address?
4, Did you order the home charger via UK Tesla? or you bought it in HK?
8, how's your experience in UK Tesla service with your HK Tesla MS so far?
Thanks in advance for your sharing.

My car landed in the UK for quite some time now and we are ready for insurance. The quote I got are all over £2k, is it at similar level for you? If not, could you please shine some light into this issue like which insurer to go?

My experience is similar to mozillach up to step 7, and big thank you to Electricboat for making it possible

@electricboat thanks for your help over the year and a bit but I've finally had the car registered with DVLA! Seems like all this is a lifetime ago when the shipping fee now is a different ballgame. if anyone wants to ship the tesla (i think they are still just doing tesla), you won't get someone better (I've spoken to a few shippers back then).

to everyone who is already in the UK - do give a shout if you see a HK Plate in the superchargers. chances are that it'll be one of us!

PS: Will need some patience dealing with DVLA registering. They do ask all sort of strange documents, but these guys will help you out!

I remember someone asked where to pick up the car. i picked mine up at herts off M1/A5. I think there was an alternative garage somewhere too
Hi ice, I was wondering could you PM me, I am thinking of shipping a Tesla model Y back from Australia to NI and will need to register it with DVLA. I have heard they are extremely difficult to deal with and would love to hear about your experience. Cheers

This is very helpful. Did you get your sim? Do you need the new sim to use sat nav?

We can do it for you
But here is the problem and for anyone who is thinking of moving their cars from HK to UK.
1. The shipping price is stupidly expensive due to Covid. it is around 3-4 times more than the usual price. Unless you are super loaded then please wait til it is back to normal price. I wish I can tell you when. may be a month may be 2 . You can PM me and I can talk about it via whatsapp
2. for any cars post late 2018. It is extremely difficult to change region from HK to UK. Not saying it is impossible but very hard. If you got 2020.48 it will take a while for us to do it.
Hi, I got Tesla model S75 which was imported in UK from Japan back in 2018. It was offline for 4 years. Is there any way to be put online again and the software to be converted from Japan to Europe?

Hello gents.
We have helped many car owners to relocate Tesla from Hong Kong to UK and Europe. Here is a few things.
1. Your SIm won't work, you will require to buy a local sim and swap it with the UK sim and update the APN. Sometimes it will work without updating.
2. Your Navigation will not work, you will need to either figure some ways to get Tesla to change the car into UK specs (But they won't do it at the moment)
3. SC and everything works just fine. Autopilot may works with internet access.
4. The charge port is exactly the same as HK and we have so far moved around 12 cars MS and MX and without any trouble.
If you have any more questions feel free to PM me. It is actually not so hard to import a Tesla to UK but you have to find someone who know what they are doing.
I need help to change map region. can you do it remotely? or the car needs to be physically at your place?

I am in Saudi Arabia