Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remember when Elon tweeted that the x/y would NOT be offered round wheel option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With a REAL self driving car, sure, yoke is fine at low speeds. But now that the realization that Robotaxi and anything higher than level 2 ain’t happening ANYTIME soon? Reality is setting in..

1673014198381.png

MANY of us said at the time, why not have the yoke as optional vs forcing it on us. Like, most of US could see this, but as bright as Elon is..he couldnt see that is what was needed?

Last edited:
It might signal that Elon has turned decision making over to the guy from China(Sorry don't know his name).

Tom Zhu: He is a New Zealand citizen, not Chinese national.

I seldom hear people describe Tesla CEO as "the guy from South Africa"

Tom Zhu: He is a New Zealand citizen, not Chinese national.

I seldom hear people describe Tesla CEO as "the guy from South Africa"
Because no one really considers South Africa a major economic powerhouse from a GPD perspective. China and the USA, are.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
MANY of us said at the time, why not have the yoke as optional vs forcing it on us. Like, most of US could see this, but as bright as Elon is..he couldnt see that is what was needed?

Offering a choice of steering wheel or yoke is not a big deal IMO. Choice is good. I think it was silly for Elon to insist that it had to be a yoke.

That would be intriguing. Like driving an F-16 to work.
OOoo yes, a throttle and stick! Or just all directions on a single stick, as we don't need the 3D maneuvers like an aircraft. I always thought that dual levers, used in treaded vehicles and some lawnmowers (so you can do those really tight turns) would be interesting on vehicles as well. I wonder if we will see some changes like that in modern vehicles? Steering wheels are so... boring.

Reactions: Baluchi
OOoo yes, a throttle and stick! Or just all directions on a single stick, as we don't need the 3D maneuvers like an aircraft. I always thought that dual levers, used in treaded vehicles and some lawnmowers (so you can do those really tight turns) would be interesting on vehicles as well. I wonder if we will see some changes like that in modern vehicles? Steering wheels are so... boring.
I think today that would be prohibited. Or borderline. Brakes and Steer cannot be mechanically disconnected. Although, Toyota has a few cars out there with Steer by Wire (SbW). Elon hinted at progressive steering and then SbW before. In fact, I read somewhere that it's in the works, but don't quote me on that.

Whenever that becomes mainstream, the driver override will cease to be mechanic and start being electronic. Which, I guess it's fine, given how software-dependent our lives already are. But there's also a scary side to it, too, which shouldn't be ignored, especially when talking regulation.

Then, let the fun begin. We could have controls like Pedals + Wheel, Thrust + Stick, Stick, USB game pad, Bluetooth game pad, NeuraLink... I'm sure someone somewhere will hack some car's OBD and make that happen lol (come to think of it, it should be possible today!)

• Helpful
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
I think today that would be prohibited. Or borderline. Brakes and Steer cannot be mechanically disconnected. Although, Toyota has a few cars out there with Steer by Wire (SbW). Elon hinted at progressive steering and then SbW before. In fact, I read somewhere that it's in the works, but don't quote me on that.

Whenever that becomes mainstream, the driver override will cease to be mechanic and start being electronic. Which, I guess it's fine, given how software-dependent our lives already are. But there's also a scary side to it, too, which shouldn't be ignored, especially when talking regulation.

Then, let the fun begin. We could have controls like Pedals + Wheel, Thrust + Stick, Stick, USB game pad, Bluetooth game pad, NeuraLink... I'm sure someone somewhere will hack some car's OBD and make that happen lol (come to think of it, it should be possible today!)
You're absolutely right, there are likely regulations that prevent these other vehicle control methods. And I assumed all cars became SbW over the past decade, sans a few trucks and other vehicles. Just looked it up and you are right! Very few manufacturers have adopted SbW or DbW.

Of note, you may find this funny:

• Funny
Reactions: helvio
You're absolutely right, there are likely regulations that prevent these other vehicle control methods. And I assumed all cars became SbW over the past decade, sans a few trucks and other vehicles. Just looked it up and you are right! Very few manufacturers have adopted SbW or DbW.

Of note, you may find this funny:

Found the (a related?) video from that!

Not an OBD "clean" way to do it, but I guess it counts LOL

• Funny
Reactions: K.I.T.T.23
Has anyone seen one of these steering wheel alternatives to the yoke yet? It appears there are still no stalks, and I am guessing the same capacitive buttons as on the yoke. For my taste, that is not enough of an improvement. The buttons sound like a poor alternative to the stalks. Anyone have any experience with this yet?