Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote control Spotify from Tesla web interface

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a quick search and didn't see this posted. Redditor TesPlayer (Control your favorite music services using the Tesla web browser.) has created a web interface to control Spotify remotely. It's in beta right now and additional functionality is still being added. As an avid Spotify user, the ability to control it from the web interface on the console really completes the Tesla experience for me. It works pretty seamlessly with Spotify running on a Bluetooth paired smartphone. It's the best workaround that I've come across so far.

To use the beta, simply go to TesPlayer and login with your Spotify credentials. TesPlayer doesn't have v9 yet and is relying on testers for feedback (Beta 1 - Playlist Browser : TesPlayer). Images are from my 3 after I discovered it this morning.

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 3.49.19 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 3.49.50 PM.png

Last edited:
I did a quick search and didn't see this posted. Redditor TesPlayer (Control your favorite music services using the Tesla web browser.) has created a web interface to control Spotify remotely. It's in beta right now and additional functionality is still being added. As an avid Spotify user, the ability to control it from the web interface on the console really completes the Tesla experience for me. It works pretty seamlessly with Spotify running on a Bluetooth paired smartphone. It's the best workaround that I've come across so far.

To use the beta, simply go to TesPlayer and login with your Spotify credentials. TesPlayer doesn't have v9 yet and is relying on testers for feedback (Beta 1 - Playlist Browser : TesPlayer). Images are from my 3 after I discovered it this morning.

View attachment 341505 View attachment 341506

AWWWWW! SUM!!!

Hope TesPlayer can get SiriusXM on there as well.

I love this. The interface is lacking, though, in that it's missing "now playing" info. It'd be good to have a static bar at the bottom of the viewscreen showing album art, title, play-pause/next/prev, and show what device Spotify currently thinks it's controlling. That's important, as Spotify is really F'in sh*ty at keeping track of what device is playing - even my phone has trouble realizing it's the one playing when it's in the foreground.

However, a bigger overall problem is Tesla's browser limitations. It doesn't seem to store cookies, so between one session and the next, I'm prompted to completely re-login to Spotify, which I do through Facebook, so I have to re-enter my whole Facebook login to get back into Spotify.

Also, Tesla's browser breaks down VERY frequently in my V9 version (finally released to the masses on Friday according to TeslaFi, 2018.39.7 9736c9b). The whole page-rendering back-end freezes, so the browser stays blank-white (back/forward/faves/URL entry does nothing), the "release notes" page stays blank, the Manual doesn't work... reboot the screen with the two-finger salute and it comes back to life for the duration of that driving session, then it dies again next time I drive. I reported this through the "report a bug, blah blah" voice command. Hopefully that gets addressed soon...

Soon I'm assuming this project is dead due to lack of cookies and buggy browser? Hopefully some work can continue on it in the future when Tesla gets around to fixing the browser. Really like having Spotify on screen versus using phone or voice control. But having to login each time sucks. Plus having to hard reset occasionally to even get browser to work is pretty lame. Not the devs fault. I appreciate his efforts on this!

The only real issues I've had so far all had to do with how much the browser sucks. Sometimes the app takes me to the login screen, but if you still have the "Playlist" and "Albums" buttons at the top, then just press one of those and it takes you back to your music.