Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Remote S: Tesla app for Apple Watch, iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The temp is set to 70 and the internal temperature is 124 when I head out to my car after work. Even when I turn on the HVAC it uses whatever the last fan speed setting was when I got out of the car (7 in this case). This happens even when the fan is set to AUTO.

Are you sure of this?

A few firmware revisions ago there was a change wherein if you had remotely turned HVAC on it would go full-auto (allowing the fan to ramp up as much as needed), but revert to your last-known settings as soon as you opened the driver's door to get in.

Prior to that, once you had initiated a remote HVAC-On it would jump to full-auto and stay there once you got in the car, regardless of what the previous state was when you exited the car.

Are you sure of this?

A few firmware revisions ago there was a change wherein if you had remotely turned HVAC on it would go full-auto (allowing the fan to ramp up as much as needed), but revert to your last-known settings as soon as you opened the driver's door to get in.

Prior to that, once you had initiated a remote HVAC-On it would jump to full-auto and stay there once you got in the car, regardless of what the previous state was when you exited the car.

You may be right about the fan speed reverting as soon as I open the door (giving the impression to me that it was always at that setting). The official app never showed the current fan speed. However, the new un-official app does show the fan speed and it does appear that it never ramps up to max.

You may be right about the fan speed reverting as soon as I open the door (giving the impression to me that it was always at that setting). The official app never showed the current fan speed. However, the new un-official app does show the fan speed and it does appear that it never ramps up to max.

Ah, interesting, thanks. Any chance you are have the car in Range Mode?

Does full auto mode ever get to fan speed 11? Maybe the reason is that if the HVAC is activated remotely, full auto mode is turned on. And it can't get to 11 because full auto HVAC can't get to 11? That's one of my guesses on what's happening.

Second guess: Maybe Tesla figured out that increasing the fan speed doesn't do much to the interior temperature if nobody is in the car. For example, you may feel colder with a stronger wind blowing on you and stripping the heat off your skin. But that heat off your skin will just end up in the rest of your car. So the average temperature decrease in the entire cabin might not be much difference between fan speed 7 or fan speed 11. The average temperature decrease should be more affected by how hard the AC compressor is working. So maybe the AC compressor is working at the same power after a certain fan speed, so using the extra fan speed means that it's wasted electricity. Just a guess.

Any thoughts about adding support for creating custom commands (that can combine API commands) to achieve greater convenience? For example: I would be able to create a custom command called "Max Cool" that would 1) Turn on HVAC, Lower the temp to LO, and Vent the Roof with a single command?

If you were able to modularize all the API commands within the app, users could string them together into custom controls (sorta like the way IFTTT works).

Thoughts?

Any thoughts about adding support for creating custom commands (that can combine API commands) to achieve greater convenience? For example: I would be able to create a custom command called "Max Cool" that would 1) Turn on HVAC, Lower the temp to LO, and Vent the Roof with a single command?

If you were able to modularize all the API commands within the app, users could string them together into custom controls (sorta like the way IFTTT works).

Thoughts?

This is already possible if you tap on the "Remote S" button. You can create your own website that has your custom controls. You can even set it as the new homepage if you press the button on the bottom toolbar and set it as so. The buttons you see on my default page are examples of what people have suggested. I could just add your Max Cool command to that list if that's what you want. The "63 degrees" preset button actually does set your AC to "LO" and turns on the HVAC as well in one button. It's just missing the "vent roof" command.

This is already possible if you tap on the "Remote S" button. You can create your own website that has your custom controls. You can even set it as the new homepage if you press the button on the bottom toolbar and set it as so. The buttons you see on my default page are examples of what people have suggested. I could just add your Max Cool command to that list if that's what you want. The "63 degrees" preset button actually does set your AC to "LO" and turns on the HVAC as well in one button. It's just missing the "vent roof" command.

I was implying a more robust, in-app, custom control building mechanism for the folks you aren't familiar with javascript and RESTful APIs.

It may have already been brought up (Though I didn't notice it skimming through 27 pages of posts!) Similar to the genuine Tesla app, I find that your app doesn't always show the interior and exterior temp until I turn the HVAC on. I assume this is a server side bug since it's in both apps? Any thoughts?

It may have already been brought up (Though I didn't notice it skimming through 27 pages of posts!) Similar to the genuine Tesla app, I find that your app doesn't always show the interior and exterior temp until I turn the HVAC on. I assume this is a server side bug since it's in both apps? Any thoughts?

Correct. I also don't think it's a bug. I think the car just turns off the sensors when it's "asleep".

I was implying a more robust, in-app, custom control building mechanism for the folks you aren't familiar with javascript and RESTful APIs.

I had plans for that in a future version. But in the meantime, I added "Max Cool" button in the Remote S Advanced page. You don't actually need to know RESTful APIs. You only need to know that stuff if plan on having your server run its own commands on its own without the app (which opens the door to background scheduling and all that jazz). But for commands done while in the app, you only need to know basic javascript.

For example, if anyone wants to learn this for their own custom website, the two buttons I added are just this:

<a href='temp://17.0?17.0' onclick='setTimeout(startHVAC, 1000); window.location.href="roof://vent"; return true;'>Turn Max Cool On</a>
<a href='temp://21.0?21.0' onclick='setTimeout(stopHVAC, 1000); window.location.href="roof://close"; return true;'>Turn Max Cool Off</a>
And "startHVAC" and "stopHVAC" are just two javascript functions like this:

<script type="text/javascript">
function startHVAC(){
window.location.href ="hvac://on";
}

function stopHVAC() {
window.location.href ="hvac://off";
}
</script>

It's really that simple, because the app is doing all the heavy work. So to explain what's going on, the buttons have a "onclick" which tells the app what to do when someone clicks the link.
setTimeout(startHVAC, 1000) means to run the startHVAC function after 1 second.
startHVAC function is just a small code that tells the browser to go to "hvac://on", which is the URL that my app accepts for turning on the HVAC.
window.location.href="roof://vent"; is just the javascript command for venting the roof. It's telling the browser to go to the url: roof://vent
return true; just means that the "href" portion should also be considered from earlier in the button's code.
<a href='temp://17.0?17.0' is just the HTML code for going to a url: temp://17.0?17.0 - which the app interprets as setting the temperature to 17 degree Celsius.

If it's only one command, it's even easier to code and doesn't need javascript. It's just:
<a href='temp://21.0?21.0>Click Me</a>
This sets the temperature to 21 degrees Celsius for both driver and passenger when the user clicks on the link "Click Me". You could paste this line into any website where you can edit the HTML, and it'd work.

Take a screenshot? :biggrin:

All kidding aside. What kind of format do you want it in? Maybe if I have a better idea of what it's for, then I can code something nice for it.

Actually I did try screenshotting, which is good for certain situations, but then I lose the pin information. Also, for lengthier trips, it can be difficult to see details due to the limited real estate afforded by the screen. Perhaps it may not be easy to implement, but it would be nice to record pin information (whether in a table or, ideally, in an interactive map) so that one can compare trips over time. I can see this information being helpful when trying to optimize energy usage for a particular route, whether short or long.

Looking forward to your next update, keep up the great work.

Hey Allen, Regoapps,

Hope all is well. Did you say anything about setting the driver settings to a specific person?
My wife is tiny and when she leaves her driver's settings, I can barely get in to pick mine.
Is there a way through your app, maybe through the advanced mode, to pick the driver presets?
So I can pick mine via app or watch prior to getting to car? Maybe it will also tell me what the current
setting is....

I hope I am not being repetitive, I searched the pages, but I'm not sure anyone asked for this prior.

Again, love your app.

I can see this information being helpful when trying to optimize energy usage for a particular route, whether short or long.
Can you explain how you'd do this, so I can better implement this feature you're asking? To do what you're trying to do, wouldn't you just reset the Trip meter in your car to figure out how much kWh was used in each route?

Anyway, so if you can save and load the current pins already placed, would that be enough for you to do what you're trying to do? I'm thinking that there would be save/load slots so users can load the pins at a later time for analysis. Yes?

What I see more useful with this feature is to be able to time yourself during your commute to figure out which route is actually faster to get home. Then you can compare paths.

Hey Allen, Regoapps,

Hope all is well. Did you say anything about setting the driver settings to a specific person?
My wife is tiny and when she leaves her driver's settings, I can barely get in to pick mine.
Is there a way through your app, maybe through the advanced mode, to pick the driver presets?
So I can pick mine via app or watch prior to getting to car? Maybe it will also tell me what the current
setting is....

I hope I am not being repetitive, I searched the pages, but I'm not sure anyone asked for this prior.

Again, love your app.

Not possible, sorry. Whatever commands that are already in the app are all the commands I have access to currently.

Can you explain how you'd do this, so I can better implement this feature you're asking? To do what you're trying to do, wouldn't you just reset the Trip meter in your car to figure out how much kWh was used in each route?

Anyway, so if you can save and load the current pins already placed, would that be enough for you to do what you're trying to do? I'm thinking that there would be save/load slots so users can load the pins at a later time for analysis. Yes?

What I see more useful with this feature is to be able to time yourself during your commute to figure out which route is actually faster to get home. Then you can compare paths.

I could see an information logging function being useful in permitting a comparison of not only efficiency or speed on full drives (like the example you give about driving home), but also in segments of drives. Being able to automatically save drives as slots would be easier and more convenient than recording the information manually. I agree with you that figuring out the fastest route is one application, but I think that having speed and route data along with energy usage, and then being able to compare/contrast that data against other variables such as weather, could lead to some interesting results -- as I mentioned, for those trying to maximize efficiency, I could see it being very useful and it would also add an interesting dimension to the app.

Any update on when the next version will be available? 1.0 is still the latest?

My biggest concern with the app is knowing when something has been selected. I think you have addressed this already.

Version 1.1 of app went "in review" 2 days ago. I have not heard from them since. I'm not quite sure why it's stuck "in review". Usually this means that the reviewer has passed off the app to his/her supervisor to determine if the app should be approved or not. The app doesn't have much changes in the eyes of the reviewer (since it's only a demo account he's using), so I don't see why the first version would be approved and the second version not. I hope it's not because the reviewer forgot about my app.

Most of the features/UI changes will be in version 2.0, which I plan on submitting shortly after 1.1 is approved. Version 1.1 is mainly bug fixes and minor UI changes that I submitted the same day that version 1.0 went on sale.

- - - Updated - - -

With the empty car parked next to heavy foot traffic some great Candid Camera video could be shot using the app from nearby.

I don't have access to the camera feeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.