Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing rear seats from new 90d S looking for clear instructions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The seat bottom is removed by FIRMLY pulling upward at the two retainer brackets on either side of the front edge of the seat. If you slide your hand under the lower front edge you will feel where they are at.
To remove the seat backs you have to first remove the outboard bolsters by pulling them outward (toward the front of the car) at the top and then upward. Once they are removed you will have access to the folding seat back retainers. Pry the outboard grommet toward the inside of the car, pull the seat upward at the outboard grommet, and then pull it outward from the center pivot. Both sides are configured the same way, the only difference is that you have to remove the bolt for the seatbelt on the driver side seat back.

There is a metal frame under the seat bottom. You could remove that also but it protects the charging equipment and other more sensitive devices that are under the back seat.

The step up of the folded back seat is only about 3 inches. Can you lay the ply wood on top of that to make a flat surface without having to remove the seats?

I wish the seats actually folded flat...
A person could make a shelf that replaced the cargo well cover that made the entire area flush with the seats. It could be designed so that it would "snap in" the location of the well cover so it would not shift. You could even make an opening to allow the well cover to be placed in the new shelf to not impede access to the well.

A person could make a shelf that replaced the cargo well cover that made the entire area flush with the seats. It could be designed so that it would "snap in" the location of the well cover so it would not shift. You could even make an opening to allow the well cover to be placed in the new shelf to not impede access to the well.
That would be a great idea. It would reduce cargo volume a bit but you only swap that in on trips. Now we just need the software to have sleep mode

I found that using a twin size inflatable air mattress from Walmart makes the change in elevation unnoticeable. The only problem is it is so thick that it reduces the amount of clearance for feet between mattress and hatch, but I sleep on my side so not a problem.

Dashboard for Tesla app has the ability to keep the a/c running all night.