Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing rear shelf

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how to remove the rear shelf behind the seats? I don't know if the tinter damaged the foam that contacts the rear windshield but I now have a piece of foam that broke off in the space between the rear window and the brake light. I want to try it get it out...

image.jpg

If you need to remove the rear shelf, rear seat trim, c pillar trim and shelf side trim pieces all need to come out. Then there are some plastic push pins that come out, you can see them when you fold the rear seats down. Then there are few wiring harnesses that need to be unplugged. Once everything is loose/detached, the whole shelf trim piece slides toward the front of the car to release.

May have missed some details, I did this back about 6 months ago to fix a rattling 3rd brake light and reciting from memory. Need to do it again soon to fix more rattles with heavy bass.

Reactions: Payjack
If you need to remove the rear shelf, rear seat trim, c pillar trim and shelf side trim pieces all need to come out. Then there are some plastic push pins that come out, you can see them when you fold the rear seats down. Then there are few wiring harnesses that need to be unplugged. Once everything is loose/detached, the whole shelf trim piece slides toward the front of the car to release.

May have missed some details, I did this back about 6 months ago to fix a rattling 3rd brake light and reciting from memory. Need to do it again soon to fix more rattles with heavy bass.

Thank you, this really helps. Do you recall if any clips broke and needed to be replaced? I read somewhere that one of the side pieces have single use clips that will break when you remove the piece.

Which part of the third brake light was rattling? I’m having considerable rattling in the back and I’m pretty sure it’s the rear deck.