Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Removing Vinyl Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm contemplating getting my Model S vinyl wrapped instead of putting on paint protection. The costs are similar, but the idea of protecting the car while being able to easily change colors is intriguing.

Costs seem to run about $2k - $3k for 3M Vinyl wrap which isn't too bad, but I'm concerned about adhesives and damage to the original paint job if I wanted to remove the wrap in the future and go with the original paint job.

Anybody have any experiences with it? Installers are telling me that recent improvements have made removing the wrap easy with no residue or damage, but obviously they have a vested interest.

That price sounds extremely low. I paid almost $8k for my full wrap. I will say that I had it installed and a month later the whole thing was removed and redone. I saw the car before during and after and they did a great job with removal. You couldn't even tell anything had ever been there. My installer said that what you have to be careful of is the installers that use a knife as they go to custom wrap vs a kit. If the installer isn't careful it can cut into the paint and that's somethings you won't see while the wrap is there but can after removal.

I'm contemplating getting my Model S vinyl wrapped instead of putting on paint protection. The costs are similar, but the idea of protecting the car while being able to easily change colors is intriguing.

Costs seem to run about $2k - $3k for 3M Vinyl wrap which isn't too bad, but I'm concerned about adhesives and damage to the original paint job if I wanted to remove the wrap in the future and go with the original paint job.

Anybody have any experiences with it? Installers are telling me that recent improvements have made removing the wrap easy with no residue or damage, but obviously they have a vested interest.
Have you considered Autoflex peelable paint??? That's what I'm obsessed with right now. That's why my X sits in the garage...waiting for a decision to be made! Seems wasteful to do ppf/coating then decide to change the color soon after. May as well do the color change now and liven it up a bit!! Going to Plastidip my rims and do a chrome delete...why not??? Can peel it off anytime!!

The best part is...it's all DIY!

If you like the color of your vehicle you can also consier XPEL STEALTH FINISH CLEAR BRA PAINT PROTECTION. Not only does this film protect your for years to come but it also turns your won factory paint job into a satin finish, making it look like you wrapped it.

Once the film is removed, your paint job will still have a flawless look because the film took all the hits!

Here is a sample picture.

This Model X used to have a glossy paint job, but once XPEL STEALTH finish clear bra paint protection film went over it, it gave it a satin finish/ Frozen finish look!

Attachments

• _KAN2018.jpg
    _KAN2018.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 268
The Xpel shop in St Louis says they remove and replace damaged pieces all the time. The whole set is warenteed for 10 years and can be removed cleanly. No clue about the product you are talking about, but the Internet wisdom is to get the best, most experienced installer possible.