Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

reorganizing the forums

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree that there should be separate news sections under each model, as I expect there to be many more stories coming out that cover both models and/or the company in general after the end of this week.

Also, Kevin, you forgot to include an electric trucks and vans section in your proposed structure - there are at least as many of them as there are bikes.

I'm with the KISS school of thought on this one too. It can sometimes be difficult to choose which category to post something into and more of them will make this worse. When I am reading, I always use the today's posts / new post links, although it took me a few weeks to notice them when I joined.

Speaking as the most simple-minded amongst us, I like Kevin's overall layout.

I would add for each car a section for "Drive Reviews" because that's the part that I always go to in a car magazine and would do the same if I came here wanting to read about a new car like the Model S.

Trucks and Vans could fall into other vehicles or you could add another category if you prefer. I just compiled a list of what was listed and a couple of my own hot points and organized it more or less by subject matter. At least in the twisted way my brain works :tongue:

Anyone else notice that the TM blogs did away with that "Think", "Hear", stuff?

Now it is "Leadership", "Engineering", "Marketing", "Customers".

======================================================

At some point it might make sense to have some regional forum areas.

Posts specific to Europe, Canada, or even events around the LA store vs the Chicago store.

A Forum like "Events and regional information".
Posts like

• "Ideas for the Miami store location"
  • "Seattle area owner meet-up"
  • "When will the UK get a right hand drive version?"
etc.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice that the TM blogs did away with that "Think", "Hear", stuff?

Now it is "Leadership", "Engineering", "Marketing", "Customers".

Yes - and it wasn't immediately obvious which one I should be looking in for some old material I wanted.

• "When will Europe get right hand drive?"

That's a question we Brits have been asking since the dawn of motoring... :wink:

Yeah, yeah - those were sample questions...

When I said "Europe" I was including the UK, and other parts of Europe that want right hand drive (e.g.: UK, Ireland, Cyprus, Malta,...) but you can quibble about your currency disagreements and semantics over being part of Europe or not.

Patrice's Blog*-*Is UK part of Europe?
... the answer was obviously YES: the United Kingdom (which consists of England, Wales, Scotland - who together make up Great Britain - and Northern Ireland) is a member of the European Union. But, the other day, listening to my colleagues from UK, I was quite surprised to hear something like When I came to Europe for my holidays, ... Then, I did realise that it was maybe not as abvious as I thought, these guys for UK were talking about Europe as something they were not part of!
Right- and left-hand traffic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...Today, only four European countries drive on the left: Cyprus, Ireland, Malta and the United Kingdom....

<tap tap tap> OK kids, how about we stay on topic.

I've said it before, but perhaps not here, we certainly need an Events section. Regional forums for local events would be nice, but they don't really make much sense until we have a critical mass of content to go in them. For now a single location is good enough. People just need to use descriptive thread titles (in stead of the "click me" mystery title).

It is a bit of a tough call, the balance between simplicity now, and a planning for a possible more complicated future. For example, at a place like MX-5 Miata Forum, I would never use the New Posts function, I would just go to the section that interests me. We'll likely never get that big, but we're already at the point were if I'm away for a couple days, I don't have the time to get completely caught up, and have to pick and choose what to read.

In our current system, it's easier to merge forums than it is to split things out. We're considering a tag system that might make that sort of expansion easier in the future.

It is a bit of a tough call, the balance between simplicity now, and a planning for a possible more complicated future. For example, at a place like MX-5 Miata Forum...I

And like the Lotustalk forum.
I would never use the New Posts function, I would just go to the section that interests me. We'll likely never get that big,...
We are very close to that big now. The only reason I still try and clear all my red cars is that I know you guys and I enjoy the conversation. At some point it will become impossible since the size and traffic this forum will be directly related to sales, and uniquely, a bit more than other new auto sites as people explore this new world of Electric Cars* (Can you say Model S?) Tesla's goal is selling 100s of thousands of Model S' and Bluestars. That means TMC will become bigger than both the above mentioned sites.

Also, any new consumer technology sparks a bunch of 3rd party user sites like the ones you end up on when you shop for or have questions about the new I-Phone, car model, or software program, etc,) These sites fill a product information void. TMC is a site for a new car and a new technology. There are quite a few "green" sites, a bunch of electric car sites, a even a few Tesla sites but for now we have the lock on all conversations related to Tesla.

*Being a "green" site and representing the only manufacturer production a fully Electric Vehicle, I think it is very important our charter should be educate the EV-curious searching around the web. Already we are first-page 7th on a Google search of "Tesla Motors". As to what eduction looks like, I'm not sure. Perhaps stickys, or start here first, or a FAQ page, a "Ask the experts" page (us), a box that says "New to EVs?"... I don't want to reinvent the wheel here because I am sure other forums have solved these problems.

The model S is the first serious beautiful too-good-to-be-true somewhat affordable Electric car in history. Already the EV1 is becoming a footnote in it's shadow. Just watch the hits we get in the next few weeks.

Doug, have you thought about adding a top level forum for local chat/clubs? We are finally starting to get a few Roadster owners and Model S reservation holders together in SW Florida and need somewhere to rally the people as a group. Would look something like this:

Top Level: Tesla Motors Forum -- Local Groups
Sub-Forums: Bay Area, SW Florida, Seattle etc.

Could be used for get-togethers, local news, charging stations etc.

Doug, have you thought about adding a top level forum for local chat/clubs? We are finally starting to get a few Roadster owners and Model S reservation holders together in SW Florida and need somewhere to rally the people as a group. Would look something like this:

Top Level: Tesla Motors Forum -- Local Groups
Sub-Forums: Bay Area, SW Florida, Seattle etc.

Could be used for get-togethers, local news, charging stations etc.

Hi Doug,

It would really be helpful, and would avoid a lot of unnecessary cross-postings, if you could accommodate Nigel's suggestion.

Thanks.

Larry