Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dumb question, but does anybody know if this speaker is standard or part of Hi FI upgrade?

View attachment 110330
Subwoofer is only included with the ultra high fidelity sound package. That's one of the reasons I upgraded, the standard audio system lacks bass. The subwoofer is installed on the back right side of the trunk (if you have one) if not you get more storage space.

I disagree, in that Tesla will do pack swaps/upgrades such as upgrading a S60 to a 90kwh pack. I asked them directly, and they said sure just give us $23K + give them your old pack. That said, I wouldn't doubt that they won't upgrade a car if you didn't buy the pack from them.

Wait, what. EM specifically said pack swaps were for 85kwh models only. Either the person you spoke too was clueless or the policy has changed.

Wait, what. EM specifically said pack swaps were for 85kwh models only. Either the person you spoke too was clueless or the policy has changed.

Well, perhaps the policy has changed. I know in the early years, I asked about getting an upgrade to an 85 and the answer was always "go pound sand" or something to that effect. But since Elon announced the possible battery upgrade, I asked them again a few months ago and they said sure. I was very specific in stating that I am starting with an S60 not an S85 and their answer was it didn't matter, but there may be some additional costs to make the car compatible (such as suspension changes if it had coil suspension, but they didn't mention that specifically). I think the gating factor at this point is that it is still uneconomical to spend that much on a battery upgrade unless I absolutely need. I am holding out for the gigafactory, hoping the prices come down a little. I read somewhere else on this forum asked Tesla the same questions and got the same answer that they will do it, just nobody has yet ($$$).

When I said no pack swaps, I meant used packs. They will not do that anymore, but yes, if you want to pay for a new pack, they'll happily take your money (and your old pack). However, not on a salvage car unless it passes recert.

I've heard people talk about this stuff, but I've never had the occasion (yet) to use it: Salt-X: Protect from salt damage & remove salt

If you can rent a heated pressure washer, that's the best bet. Blast it with tons of hot water which will help dissolve the salt and wash it away. This is the best first step.

The wiring harness is a big problem. The salt water wicked into the connections and up the copper strands and once the water evaporates the salt will re-crystalize and wait until there is some humidity. Even 30% is enough to let the salt work on the connections until they fail. The only hope is to mechanically clean all the connections as best you can and smear vaseline all over everything which will help keep out water and oxygen. Vaseline is non-conductive, so it's safe to smear into connectors and wiring.

Suddenly huge bulk orders of vaseline just start pouring in from around the world from people trying to fix water-damaged teslas.

I started reading the thread and this image came into my mind:

last_great_act_of_defiance.jpg

As long as your final goal is not a Tesla Model S in a mint condition, with original VIN, ludicrous update, latest FW and SC capable, you are at the start of one hell of a journey, with no well-defined finish line.

As I see it, there is very probably too much electrical parts that were damaged by the saltwater with lengthy exposure to reuse those parts to reconstruct the flooded S. However, all body parts look like they are in very good condition. The best way I can figure to attain the goal of a fully functionnal model S would be to completely strip the body of the flooded car, get your hands on another wrecked model S from a crash, and use all the wiring harness/electronic modules from it to put it into the flooded S.
The firmware versions of the crashed S would all match up. Airbags would most probably still be needed, as they would be ruined (by water and corrosion) or deployed from the two cars.
We can also take notice that Btr is in Massachusetts, which has a "right to repair" law. He can thus have a better luck to be able to put his hands on the parts he needs to complete the rebuild.
I avidly follow this thread, as it furnishes very interesting information on the inner workings of the model S. I warmly thank Btr for this.

Franky
2013 P85

He didn't say what he was using the Vaseline for :wink:

fixing squeaky hinges

removing rusted bolts

key hole lubrication

shining my silver coins

shower curtain rod lubricant

clean refrigerator door seals

cleaning my fake plants

back of my neck so that I don't get dye back there when I'm dying my hair

I grease up a pole in my backyard so squirrels cant climb up to get to bird feeder

Last edited by a moderator:
The best way I can figure to attain the goal of a fully functionnal model S would be to completely strip the body of the flooded car, get your hands on another wrecked model S from a crash, and use all the wiring harness/electronic modules from it to put it into the flooded S.
The firmware versions of the crashed S would all match up.
(VIN wrong, miles wrong) But this is his best hope. Maybe Tesla will give him a break.

Some state patrol inspections require that airbags be bought new (not from salvage), and receipts shown. WA is one of them.

BTW, prices for Copart wrecked cars have gotten astronomical lately. So you can't buy a wrecked car economically now, unless you have a dealer's license. Congratulations to whoever talked; you've cut off your nose to spite your face.

Also used Tesla prices are coming down in general because oil has gotten unbelievably cheap. I saw gas yesterday for $1.67. You have to use your head as well as your heart, something which ppl here don't commonly do.

Last edited: