Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had a thought about getting that second car - the two VIN's probably need to be pretty close don't they.
Because Tesla are constantly revising and changing under the covers some components are not going to exist to be completely different if the build date is too far apart.

Just had a thought about getting that second car - the two VIN's probably need to be pretty close don't they.
Because Tesla are constantly revising and changing under the covers some components are not going to exist to be completely different if the build date is too far apart.

Not necessarily. As long as the car I get is a pre version 2 (before 2014) and it has the same features, it should be a pretty simple swap. In the parts book it tells you which modules are interchangeable.

Seeing the air suspension compressor in there reminded me. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what pressure the suspension operates at? I notice on my car that it has a Schrader valve on the reservoir. That would be one way to maybe refill the suspension if the compressor isn't working, assuming that the pressures are in the realm of a normal compressor.

Not to derail the thread but while we are talking about the SAS compressor, did anyone notice a change in it's behavior post 7.0 (not sure what firmware ver). Prior to V7 I can say that I never heard the compressor kicking in but after 7 the things runs like mad! Example: Have Visible Tesla wake up Stela (my S85) at 7:00a to pre cool/heat her. I get in my car at 7:10 and before I finish backing out of the garage and driveway I hear the SAS system bleed excess pressure and the compressor turns off. Not 1/16" of a mile later and before I get out of my complex I again hear the system bleed excess air and shutdown again. Seems add to me but this is the first car I have had with air suspension... maybe it's normal? Who knows?

/** Derailing of thread over **/

Not to derail the thread but while we are talking about the SAS compressor, did anyone notice a change in it's behavior post 7.0 (not sure what firmware ver). Prior to V7 I can say that I never heard the compressor kicking in but after 7 the things runs like mad! Example: Have Visible Tesla wake up Stela (my S85) at 7:00a to pre cool/heat her. I get in my car at 7:10 and before I finish backing out of the garage and driveway I hear the SAS system bleed excess pressure and the compressor turns off. Not 1/16" of a mile later and before I get out of my complex I again hear the system bleed excess air and shutdown again. Seems add to me but this is the first car I have had with air suspension... maybe it's normal? Who knows?

/** Derailing of thread over **/

Normal, desiccant purge. See this: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/61920-Sound-of-air-escaping?p=1354720&viewfull=1#post1354720

Your thread is a viral addiction--100k views in a month, only wk057 gets more attention than that...

if you google search "tesla hacking" his thread will show up somewhere in google.... however I don't think anyone is looking to repair a flooded tesla

It's robust enough that it stands up to any of the extra-curricular activities we've thrown at it.

explain please

A bit off topic but thought some might enjoy a bit of history. A friend of mine worked for a company that made measuring devices for extremely high voltage. Basically a couple of sphere's that were pulled apart until the bridge broke. Great fun watching those things. Sad that they're no longer used (I think not anyway).

They also designed and built a machine for testing linemen's gloves that consisted of a vat of brine with an electrode in it. Over this was a row of six electrodes and sensors pointing down. The gloves were slide over these electrodes (chrome looking, roughly 6" long by about 1" diameter and rounded on the end), filled with brine, lowered in to the vat, and measured for leakage. There were, not too surprisingly, many comments about sticking gloves on the chrome dildo's until it suddenly clicked that there was a whole other market for these machines. They've been making them ever since.

is your name in reference to the toyota tundra tester vehicle for Tesla?

Fried Tesla Wiring?

I like it.

I reckon you'll end up merging two dead cars, and finish with one working plus a bunch of parts to eBay.

As for your approach - it's your car, in your garage (when your wife lets you). You're the one on the ground, with the most information, best placed to make those decisions. Best of luck.

you are 100% correct, I'm in the guts of this car so I know quite a bit

Seeing the air suspension compressor in there reminded me. Out of curiosity, does anyone know what pressure the suspension operates at? I notice on my car that it has a Schrader valve on the reservoir. That would be one way to maybe refill the suspension if the compressor isn't working, assuming that the pressures are in the realm of a normal compressor.

I've seen it as high as 120psi in the tank, but it uses the tank as a boost accumulator. It pumps the tank up, then draws from the tank to inflate the suspension, so it becomes a 2 stage system. This gives it fast response with minimal hardware.

Free Tesla Workshop(?)

PS: Are you at the Octopus level yet?

familiar transformative and willing?

Im at the octopus , pics and dramatic overhyped story to come. Now with 100% more suspense

Photo taken just as the High Voltage traction battery is opened for the world to see ... :cool:

octopus_attacking_him_with_-a-20_1.jpg

btr ftw,

It's a shame that you couldn't disassemble your vehicle, with pictures and steps to show how to get at, remove and replace parts, assemblies, etc. I'd think working out a deal with Haynes or Chiltons would be an interesting endeavour. Haynes DIY manuals get updated as new models are released. That would sure change the repair situation, particularly outside of Massachusetts (right to repair state). I'd buy one.

There would need to be the disclaimer about parts access from Tesla, as well as Tesla reprogramming, but I don't think Tesla will be able to maintain their monopoly on these 2 issues forever. I just don't think there's been a concerted and motivated legal challenge yet.

Finally, there's a ton of expertise on this forum. I would think that there would be few holes, and probably a huge amount of knowledge overlap. Just nice to have it in one place.

btr ftw,

It's a shame that you couldn't disassemble your vehicle, with pictures and steps to show how to get at, remove and replace parts, assemblies, etc. I'd think working out a deal with Haynes or Chiltons would be an interesting endeavour. Haynes DIY manuals get updated as new models are released. That would sure change the repair situation, particularly outside of Massachusetts (right to repair state). I'd buy one.

There would need to be the disclaimer about parts access from Tesla, as well as Tesla reprogramming, but I don't think Tesla will be able to maintain their monopoly on these 2 issues forever. I just don't think there's been a concerted and motivated legal challenge yet.

Finally, there's a ton of expertise on this forum. I would think that there would be few holes, and probably a huge amount of knowledge overlap. Just nice to have it in one place.

Thats part of my master plan. I purchased a go pro with head mount so when I get the donor car I can take crude videos of the dissassembly.