Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are lithium-ion batteries, there is no battery acid.

Salt water is a conductor, this likely shorted the cells... the exact thing you want to avoid because of the explosion you witnessed that could also lead to dramatic fires.

Just because a battery is "dead" does not mean it does not have energy stored in it... lithium is a very reactive chemical, although this isn't lithium metal, there is still lithium ions at the anode (hence the term lithium ion battery) that can and will react violently as we have seen here.

You're lucky this only happened to one cell and didn't get out of hand.

Not to nitpick but there are still Electrolytes which give ions in water just like acids do.

Wow, I am a bit surprised by the extent of the damage ... granted the vehicle was submerged in salt water,
but I would expect Tesla to make improvements in the waterproofing design going forward to better protect the batteries.
What happens when you drive through a flooded intersection and underestimate the depth of the water? :eek:

Sitting underwater for hours is an entirely different event. I would assume the pack can keep out short term submersion, or we'd be seeing a lot more dead packs.

I don't quite understand. Did the module explode/burn after you opened it (as in you shorted it) or was it like that when you opened it?

While removing the top cover bolts I could see water bubbles forming around the screws, meaning there was pressure built up inside. Let the pressure out and with all the salt water it was almost impossible to get that cover off easily.

Once cover was off I saw the modules sizzling and bubbling in a mixture of coolant, saltwater, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

The module is literally swollen. Very cool

Sitting underwater for hours is an entirely different event. I would assume the pack can keep out short term submersion, or we'd be seeing a lot more dead packs.

If it can't survive the static pressure of a couple feet of standing water, my confidence that you will not get water in the pack from driving through heavy rain or a large puddles is very very low. Seems like if you happen to drive through a 6-7 inches of water it's done for.

If it can't survive the static pressure of a couple feet of standing water, my confidence that you will not get water in the pack from driving through heavy rain or a large puddles is very very low. Seems like if you happen to drive through a 6-7 inches of water it's done for.

That is likely a regular occurrence, yet dead and/or dying packs are not. So your conclusion would not seem to be supported by reality.

Not to nitpick but there are still Electrolytes which give ions in water just like acids do.

Acid is explicitly hydrogen ions...

It exploded (which I didn't see)

but I did see the disintegration before my eyes.

Ah, I see... then we do indeed have reason to fault Tesla's design. Sorry for misunderstanding the intended meaning.

Last edited:
UPDATE

foQPBfS.jpg

o2VzVYL.jpg

pbKGMSF.jpg