Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wonder if water ingress into submerged pack can be avoided by pressurizing it with exhaust air of brake booster compressor. That would not require costly re-engineering, but only extra air hose, some water sensors and software mods.
Remember that AP cars have an electric brake booster and in any cases, I'm pretty sure the booster pump is a vacuum pump...

I wonder if water ingress into submerged pack can be avoided by pressurizing it with exhaust air of brake booster compressor. That would not require costly re-engineering, but only extra air hose, some water sensors and software mods.

The pack can't be pressurized. It's designed to vent pressure via vents on the sides. Unfortunately the check valves aren't perfect and let some water in.

Parts not being sold is a HUGE detriment to innovation, so absolutely not. You guys need to realize the seriousness of your actions and the consequences they've laid.
If you are blaming "the community" as the reason why Tesla is not selling parts to anyone except for certified Tesla shops, I'm afraid that you've got your logic completely backwards.

Funny, I can buy any parts for an ICE and no one has ever cared how I used them or how I took out the old part. I've even seriously injured myself doing stupid things when working on ICE's. Again, no OEM or parts supplier ever cared. Of course I understand that Tesla is in a more tenuous situation than long standing OEM's, especially as a new company in this litigious society, with real, powerful forces aligned against them and actively wanting them to fail, but, this is the environment they are selling into and they had to know people will tear apart and rebuild their products. It's simply part of doing business, and their refusal to sell parts will not stop people from being stupid. Without clear repair manuals they can almost assure that people will be more stupid than necessary.

Even if you change the thread title to "Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-NOT-TO", there are still some great lessons to be learned from this thread.

Between OP's willingness to take the financial hit, positive attitude and sharing his exeperiences, and some of the other experts responding with useful data as well, there is tons of knowledge being shared.

So, Btr_ftw, thank you for creating this thread, many of us are watching this thread with much interest, just make sure you protect yourself (including eyes!).

Back to the shadows, where I'm waiting for the next episode of this Teslanovela ;)

Oh, so if we all chip in and pay you, you'll stop being such a Debbie Downer? Post your email and I'm sure we'll all chip in with a paypal contribution.

Newb. I think I just found my first person to put on ignore.

you can pay him and have it done "properly"

or you can watch me ruin everything (as well as Tesla owners reputation), for free!

- - - Updated - - -

UPDATE

Here are some more photos of the modules that went haywire.

All of the modules are reading at zero volts (shocking)

9KttxUs.jpg

iuQdjSj.jpg

aDEHq6k.jpg

Wq3DJTQ.jpg

2Y27NGD.jpg

tG0y8ju.jpg

d6Sp74e.jpg

zh11om6.jpg

MycUUDT.jpg

stay tuned for a video of me scraping off the contamination with a butter knife.

Reactions: wbrumfiel
Please, please, please don't use a butter knife.

( a plasma cutter or a chainsaw will get you far more YouTube hits ; ) )

Its one thing to show you photos, but its another thing to use a butter knife to show you the consistency of the build up.

Watch the whole vid, its only 2mins and 30 seconds, it was oddly satisfying to do.

Satoshi has been reported to the moderators for excessive snippiness ... no excuses :wink:

I am, and of course you're going to give excuses so as to not accept responsibility for your actions.

Similarly, I read that Tesla made the claim that the no selling parts policy is in light of "improper repairs to salvage vehicles"... this thread certainly is proving them right. If you think that blame is misplaced, then prove it by making proper repairs to a salvage rebuild, or help fund my attempt to "properly repair" a salvage vehicle. Don't just sit there and be some conspiratard, put your money where your mouth is.

Reactions: Mjsais