Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AFAIK same exact size and number of modules, it's just a few of the module rows don't have batteries in them. I'm pulling this from memory of when NHSTA took apart a 60kw pack after crashing it.

This is not quite right. The 85kWh pack has 16 modules. 60kWh has 14 modules (it is missing the two modules in the front stacked section) AND each module has less cells.
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...w-70D/page49?p=1008389&viewfull=1#post1008389

attachment.php?attachmentid=1023&d=1347276132.jpg

Where are they taken out of? Different battery shape? As in no front hump?

The two front modules are omitted, yes. The exterior hump is still there though, with "blank" modules.

Although the top one is replaced with a weight. Can somebody that has taken apart a 60/70 pack chime in with the weight and material Tesla used for this ballast?

I could be wrong (second hand info) but I don't believe it's a weight, just a spacer of some kind for the front two modules.

AFAIK same exact size and number of modules, it's just a few of the module rows don't have batteries in them. I'm pulling this from memory of when NHSTA took apart a 60kw pack after crashing it.

The 60 and 70 packs definitely have only 14 modules. The 70 pack is, as I had predicted a while back, just using the same modules as the 85 pack vs the oddball modules the 60 used that had 10 cells per cell group missing.

The 60 and 70 packs definitely have only 14 modules. The 70 pack is, as I had predicted a while back, just using the same modules as the 85 pack vs the oddball modules the 60 used that had 10 cells per cell group missing.

I know this is off topic but assuming that that the 70 and 85 packs use the same cells:
* 70 kWh/14 modules=5kWh/module / 5kWh*16 modules=80kWh in the 85kWh pack
or
* 85 kWh/16 modules=5.3125kWh/module / 5.3125kWh*14 modules=74.375kWh in the 70kWh pack

So which way is most accurate?

I know this is off topic but assuming that that the 70 and 85 packs use the same cells:
* 70 kWh/14 modules=5kWh/module / 5kWh*16 modules=80kWh in the 85kWh pack
or
* 85 kWh/16 modules=5.3125kWh/module / 5.3125kWh*14 modules=74.375kWh in the 70kWh pack

So which way is most accurate?

Let's not derail this thread on this one too much, but I started a whole other thread on the topic not long ago that got out of hand with people posting craziness that I no longer look at.

In short, the 5 kWh per module number is more accurate. My actual testing puts it somewhere around 5.05kWh/module for the "85" pack modules, confirmed by a couple of others to be the same as the 70 modules (except with only 14 of them vs 16).

So bottom line ... after 85 pages :cool:

70 kWh pack is actually 70.7
85 kWh pack is actually 80.8

Let's not derail this thread on this one too much, but I started a whole other thread on the topic not long ago that got out of hand with people posting craziness that I no longer look at.

In short, the 5 kWh per module number is more accurate. My actual testing puts it somewhere around 5.05kWh/module for the "85" pack modules, confirmed by a couple of others to be the same as the 70 modules (except with only 14 of them vs 16).

BTR, you are amazing. Keeping a thread going this long, and being able to keep everyone's emotions in check (with some moderation here and there) is proof that Internet forums can work. Never thought I'd see the day! Props sir. Big ones.

(Sorry, quick OT)
Pano/non-Pano, but the real killer is that the 70D has TWO motors (and associated hardware) yet ends up weighing a full 177 pounds less than a Signature P85.
Isn't the pano roof a good chunk of that weight difference? I always assumed my car was the slowest Tesla makes because of that. :)

BTR, you are amazing. Keeping a thread going this long, and being able to keep everyone's emotions in check (with some moderation here and there) is proof that Internet forums can work. Never thought I'd see the day! Props sir. Big ones.

(Sorry, quick OT)
Isn't the pano roof a good chunk of that weight difference? I always assumed my car was the slowest Tesla makes because of that. :)

Yeah, a few times I wanted to blow up, but then I asked myself why take it so seriously?

Im having too much fun to even care!

Im having too much fun to even care!
So are we!

It has been mentioned before, but am pretty sure some of the Jalopnik readers would enjoy this. Heck, they might drive out there to see your project and do a feature. I believe that once past the knee-jerk reaction, most gear heads will understand that this is an enthusiast car (as in this is high-tech, fast, and not a golf cart), and you can actually wrench on it a bit. Or a LOT in some cases.

There is no excuse, your carelessness is the textbook reason why Tesla has a parts ban. You are 100% the problem and are ruining it for the community. If you got hurt or killed it would be in the news within seconds "Tesla kills man" do you even know what kind of widespread harm that would cause??

Are you even HAZMAT certified bro?

Let me drop some knowledge on you as to how to properly remove a battery top cover...

1) Remove all top cover screws
2) Remove fuse
3) Pry up front hump with something (safety first!)
5) Attach 1 ton engine crane and hook to where the battery fuse hole was
5) Pump like crazy (but not too crazy)

6) Become frustrated
7) Cut pack top cover in half
6) Salt lightly and serve with coolant and disintegrated battery cells
5) Create sarcastic post on forum

I'm so glad you didn't forget step 5, it was obviously the most important step. :)

Btr: to avoid financial ruin you need to do 2 things immediately.
(1) Immediately abandon this project and put the car out for recycling.
(2) Sum up whatever you originally thought this project would cost, multiply it by 5, and send me a check, draining your funds for such endeavors. This said from personal experiences with similar projects. :wink: