Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here is a question to the 'salvage repair group'. I know that TM will not even look at or sell you any parts for a VIN that is black listed. I also know that TM won't sell you and 'restricted' parts (basically anything HV and IC/MCU/Gateway related).

My question is wether I could walk into a SC and order say a MSM using my clean MS VIN? Is the SC receptive to selling parts over the counter? Any horror stories or successes?

Concerning the burrito... apparently this is not an uncommon problem. I found this in a post about strange things auto mechanics have to deal with.

353dc702-624a-4c3e-b157-5deee9bdc447_tablet.jpg

Salvage vehicles take the used concept to a new level of extreme, and are beyond the reach of the general population without significant car experience or a relevant engineering background.

Really depends on the damage. Some "salvage title" vehicles are trivial to repair. I've had cars totalled by insurance companies for inconsequential body damage. Body shop hammers it out and replaces a trunk lid, it's fine. But the insurance company thinks that the value of the fixed car *minus* the value of the car for parts and recycling is less than the cost of the fix... Anyway, a friend of mine is now driving a Toyota Echo which has been totalled twice. The first time it needed only bodywork; the second time it needed bodywork and a new radiator. That's it. Car should be good for another decade.

It has to do with the way the insurance companies value the car. A number of people were complaining that Model Ses were being totalled for truly inconsequential damage by certain insurance companies early on. Tesla is not helping by its restrictive supply of parts, which is raising the value of cars for parts, causing insurance companies to total the car for even less damage.

The problem is not just the restrictiveness of parts but also certified body shops are really expensive, rates average around 150$/hr. Tesla needs to control that. A minor damage can go upto 47K and car is salvaged.

Tesla made a good product, their engineers are really experts in their respective fields but Tesla is just a product, not a company yet. They need to learn from other automakers and none of them block parts to anyone other than if its body related.

UPDATE

So I sold the drive unit. Part of me is kicking myself for not asking for a little more because now more than ever, I truly believe it was not flooded, but more on that in another rant...

Luckily (sort of) the buyer actually sent a truck to come pick the drive unit up. Here is how it went down...

Dispatch - we are sending a guy out there to get the motor around 9pm

Me - great the later the better, still don't have the drive unit out of the cradle, can they make it even later?

Dispatch - sure, my guys need a break, is 10PM ok?

Me - perfect!

Truck driver (at 7pm) - Hey man, what do ya know we are running ahead of schedule, I know dispatch said 10PM but we are in Mass now

Me - I still dont have the part out I still need time, one of the axles is stuck in the drive unit, you are literally running 3 hours early

Truck driver - oh man, that is tough, we will be there in 30 mins

Me - ok, one axle is stuck and I've been wrestling with it for a while now

Truck driver - 25 mins away

Me - so what if I can't get the axle out

Truck driver - well, I guess the axle is going with the motor if you can't pull it out

Me - *breaks axle*

EnPukXz.jpg

FXx6S4i.jpg

PceAnyx.jpg

SbQboCO.jpg

Godspeed little motor.. Godspeed

AhzJDcn.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSqB
Dispatch - we are sending a guy out there to get the motor around 9pm

Me - great the later the better, still don't have the drive unit out of the cradle, can they make it even later?

Dispatch - sure, my guys need a break, is 10PM ok?

Me - perfect!

Truck driver (at 7pm) - Hey man, what do ya know we are running ahead of schedule, I know dispatch said 10PM but we are in Mass now

That truck driver sucks.