Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lol I wish.... I had wayyyyyyyyy too many other things to focus on then satisfying my curiosity for the drive unit (especially now that I have a donor car) It was going to be the last thing I was going to do after getting the car running, someone just came in and shot me an offer for it and that was that.

Modules trend for 1k. But they sell in the 8 to 900s or so. Every 2 months they drop by about 30$ as the tech advances. People arent getting 20k for battery packs like they were last year.
Are you still going to take the DU apart to look for water? If so, do you plan on posting the results/pics?

• Disagree
Reactions: kennybobby
I actually don't mind the banter, I have no new material to post yet.

I've been busy building boxes, shipping battery modules, selling parts to recoup some of my expenses

Love this thread!

Since others are posting their salvage/repair processes too, maybe you could rename it:

Repairing a Tesla Model S: How to...

Be a nice open repair thread for the Model S. Especially nice for us non handy folks to see how it's done!:)

UPDATE

Had a chance to work on the P85 for 2 hours today, Lifted the rear seat and discovered this...

DUAL CHARGERS

aE4yjJt.jpg

so_good.png

so_good.png

One thing that came to mind while reading through this thread: an EV is not this elegant, simple, one-moving part unicorn that those watching at home might think they are. They are simpler, yes! But they are not many orders of magnitude simpler.
At the end of the day, it is still a car, with many sub-systems, and HVAC and regulation-imposed safety features, and its own complexities around the battery. Yes, it has coolant, and fans and radiators. And as we all know too well by now, a wiring harness. :)

What it lacks is the thousands of parts that make up an ICE, a fuel system and the associated maintenance and longevity challenges. But it is not a single speed bike either.

Reactions: dhrivnak and Richg
True, but the S is a rather complex high end vehicle. An EV can be much simpler than that.

Agreed.

I have disassembled the entire car and man oh man let me tell you. This car could be so much simpler.... That is....assuming so many people didnt NEED so many creature comforts.

The wiring harness could be made to be very basic and about half the controllers could be deleted while keeping a greatly functioning car. Perhaps this is the goal with the model 3?

Here is what I would do to get an entry level model S

Delete rear hatch opener ( frees up controllers , harness wiring and motors )

Standard doors with handles (no fancy dancy auto presentation. Frees up harness wiring, 4 controllers and motors)

Delete pano roof (frees up harness wiring, controller and 2 motors)

Delete air suspension ( frees up harness wiring, air tank up front, tubing and controller)

Standard foglights.

Replace mcu touch screen with standard infotainment system (with buttons)

Replace tails with halogen

Replace gauge cluster with half dials and half screen (as on higher end luxury cars)

Ambient lighting delete

Styling delete

Shorten car 11 inches (removing 2 battery modules)

Here is the Tesla we need without all the creature comforts

New-2012-Toyota-Prius-Carscoop-8.jpg

Agreed.

I have disassembled the entire car and man oh man let me tell you. This car could be so much simpler.... That is....assuming so many people didnt NEED so many creature comforts.

The wiring harness could be made to be very basic and about half the controllers could be deleted while keeping a greatly functioning car. Perhaps this is the goal with the model 3?

Here is what I would do to get an entry level model S

Delete rear hatch opener ( frees up controllers , harness wiring and motors )

Standard doors with handles (no fancy dancy auto presentation. Frees up harness wiring, 4 controllers and motors)

Delete pano roof (frees up harness wiring, controller and 2 motors)

Delete air suspension ( frees up harness wiring, air tank up front, tubing and controller)

Standard foglights.

Replace mcu touch screen with standard infotainment system (with buttons)

Replace tails with halogen

Replace gauge cluster with half dials and half screen (as on higher end luxury cars)

Ambient lighting delete

Styling delete

Shorten car 11 inches (removing 2 battery modules)

Precisely what Tesla officials have been saying about the Model S and Model 3. Elon at the last financial calls said Model S was "made to work" but Model 3 is being designed to be "easy to manufacture". One look at the body in white of a Model S and anyone can see the multitude of castings, stampings, sub frames etc... That's a complicated car to make compared to anything else once can see being made on any YouTube car manufacturing video.

UPDATE (I'm running out of material)

Found a burrito under the seat of the P85!

ow4qd6L.jpg

Also, previous owner left what I believe are his business cards in the vehicle... I don't have the keys to the car but need them greatly... should I call him? Is that weird?

• Funny
Reactions: Johan
Sorry dude, I feel like a schmuck, I must have missed that...

...... so how much is a potentially flooded DU worth to you anyway?

No biggy. Probably a few $k + freight since it's a salt water baby. I don't believe the inverter housing is waterproof at all, and the connections on the control board might be in some trouble. *shrugs*

Worst case I'd polish it up and hang it in my garage. lol.

UPDATE (I'm running out of material)

Found a burrito under the seat of the P85!

ow4qd6L.jpg

Also, previous owner left what I believe are his business cards in the vehicle... I don't have the keys to the car but need them greatly... should I call him? Is that weird?

I once got a call from a Jiffy Lube asking me to call a guy in Canada that had bought my totaled car at auction and wanted the key. He found the number for the Jiffy Lube on the windshield reminder sticker.

That was a little weird. I didn't call him back. OTOH, if you ain't asking, you ain't getting.

• Helpful
Reactions: T-Man
lso, previous owner left what I believe are his business cards in the vehicle... I don't have the keys to the car but need them greatly... should I call him? Is that weird?

One way to try to keep it classy is to send him a letter, together with a return envelope with postage and ask him to just return the key to you, if he doesn't mind.

Reactions: jaguar36
I once got a call from a Jiffy Lube asking me to call a guy in Canada that had bought my totaled car at auction and wanted the key. He found the number for the Jiffy Lube on the windshield reminder sticker.

That was a little weird. I didn't call him back. OTOH, if you ain't asking, you ain't getting.
My guess is that it's a privacy thing. I suppose the person could've handed the phone once they got you on the phone.