Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repairing a Flooded Tesla Model S : HOW-TO

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UPDATE

I'll tell you. Its not easy working on a wrecked car. I needed to bust out the crowbar and cutting wheel to separate some of the fused metal pieces from the accident... All done in surrounding darkness with an led worklight and basic tools.

The victim

INQCY8V.jpg

iJrQYdv.jpg

xHl74hp.jpg

Wt1FT80.jpg

Frunk area removed, difficult to do with all of the broken fiberglass and plastic. The frunk area was essentially cut in half due to the accident, so when cutting the metal away the frunk area essentially snapped back in place as it was under pressure still (stuff to watch out for)

bSOrApM.jpg

u7JE9yt.jpg

de345iS.jpg

guYjm5j.jpg

removed air tank and starting to pull the wiring harness through the car

Wcec1Om.jpg

What would be neat is a pic of the drive unit with a bunch of dimensions, between mounting points for the subframe, rotor face to rotor face, dimensions of the the motor/inverter/gearbox, anything else that might be important when considering mounting in a non Tesla vehicle :cool:

Along with that, what are the dimensions of the battery pack?

Would it have been less work to cut out the bent part of the white car, and weld in the straight one from the titanic?

Along with that, what are the dimensions of the battery pack?

Would it have been less work to cut out the bent part of the white car, and weld in the straight one from the titanic?

Edmond is correct. Id need to be a body/frame guy to fix it correctly. That and Id be stuck with a white car and a thread that ended 3 months ago.

Highly recommend a sawzall with a metal blade, you will make quick work of removing damaged pieces, works exceptionally well due to aluminum construction of the tesla and can handle steel aswell. Also your hands tend to be further away from the sprung load when it decides to release.

You can also use a large herc strap to contain the stored energy, or to pull on a component to control direction. A sand bag or a bunch of chain placed on the structure can also deaden the release of energy.

• Informative
Reactions: Btr_ftw
You might want to check out this video, made for first responders, to see how to disassemble a Model S with extreme prejudice. I tried to start it where the serious stuff starts (@ 26:41), but the entire 37 minute video is worth watching if you have the time.

That video is fantastic! I say watch the whole thing, as the progression is pretty well done. Watching high-quality, well produced videos is always entertaining. And you'll learn a new use for the word "evolution"!

UPDATE

Got most of the mangled front end pieces off the car, It was about 1AM a couple hours before a torrential downpour. Lets see if I can pull the front subframe before the rain comes!!!

Little drizzle, nothing too bad

HIt4UfT.jpg

Coming down a little harder but making progress!

3Nj0mSr.jpg

Straight up downpour

m3jHHD8.jpg

Everything is terrible, had to use tarp over the led light to keep from getting wet

APOyCj8.jpg

Damn near drowned but I got it out, looks like the car exploded.

TCIVPZq.jpg