Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Repeater camera feeds are mostly useless when turn signal is on at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can only think the very early repeaters weren't welded together as well as the current ones.
I've taken a few apart now and they are really difficult to get apart, but they've all been from cars built 2019 and later.
I think mine broke because I tried prying them with too much force. I even bent the metal around the hole in a few places where the locking tabs go. I had to bend those back in carefully after I removed the repeaters. Mine did not break along the welds, so I don't think there were any flaws in them.

Oddly feeling smug* that our lowly 2017 Audi A3 handles blind spots just fine with that little warning lamp in the mirror. What a concept!

It's a nice idea the camera but because it is directly in the indicator light, won't it always have some light cast off even if just the blinking effect?

*Ok not really.
Totally agree with this. In the end all I want is one piece of information — clear or not clear. Which is what the amber mirror lights do. I don’t want to look down at a video feed and process it. I don’t understand why Tesla won’t create their own version of the mirror light. It could be as simple as making the adjoining lane yellow (in the visualization) when you put on your turn signal only if there is a car there. You would be able to see it peripherally without even turning you head or taking your eyes off the road. It would actually be better than the mirror lights in that sense. And clearly the car is fully capable of making that call as FSD lane changes illustrate. It is a disappointment that this aspect of the car (so critical to safety) is so inferior to basically every other car on the road…

Reactions: Msjulie
Totally agree with this. In the end all I want is one piece of information — clear or not clear. Which is what the amber mirror lights do. I don’t want to look down at a video feed and process it. I don’t understand why Tesla won’t create their own version of the mirror light. It could be as simple as making the adjoining lane yellow (in the visualization) when you put on your turn signal only if there is a car there. You would be able to see it peripherally without even turning you head or taking your eyes off the road. It would actually be better than the mirror lights in that sense. And clearly the car is fully capable of making that call as FSD lane changes illustrate. It is a disappointment that this aspect of the car (so critical to safety) is so inferior to basically every other car on the road…
Lane marking already turns red when you put your blinkers on and the car is in blind spot. Not sure what are you talking about.

Reactions: silenteski
Lane marking already turns red when you put your blinkers on and the car is in blind spot. Not sure what are you talking about.
The lane markers do all sorts of things. Sometimes accurately sometimes not. I’m talking about making the entire lane (not the line) yellow/amber such that even without looking over you can tell from your peripheral vision the lane is a no-go. The red lines are too mousy to be of any value unless you’re watching the animation.

Reactions: Msjulie
The lane markers do all sorts of things. Sometimes accurately sometimes not. I’m talking about making the entire lane (not the line) yellow/amber such that even without looking over you can tell from your peripheral vision the lane is a no-go. The red lines are too mousy to be of any value unless you’re watching the animation.
So this is not enough for you?
BB47BAD8-1079-4AFA-9A09-AF6E968E925B.jpeg

View attachment 764825
That's not good enough for people used to the mirror blind spot warning, given the above only shows when you are making the lane change.

What they want is there being a warning that shows up as soon as there is a car in the blind spot, regardless if you were making the move to change into that lane.

That's not good enough for people used to the mirror blind spot warning, given the above only shows when you are making the lane change.

What they want is there being a warning that shows up as soon as there is a car in the blind spot, regardless if you were making the move to change into that lane.
I think it could be a great tool. In my diesel pusher when I hit the turn signal, the side cams come on but not a small little picture that you have to squint to make out, it takes the whole screen of the monitor. That's what needs to happen with our Tesla's screen. Get rid of that flashing first, then enlarge the cam picture to the whole screen... then it would be useful. As it is, it's useless (for me), so I have the feature turned off.

I think it could be a great tool. In my diesel pusher when I hit the turn signal, the side cams come on but not a small little picture that you have to squint to make out, it takes the whole screen of the monitor. That's what needs to happen with our Tesla's screen. Get rid of that flashing first, then enlarge the cam picture to the whole screen... then it would be useful. As it is, it's useless (for me), so I have the feature turned off.
Yeah, I drive with the rear view camera screen almost always on, and I would prefer if when activating the turn signal it would focus on the given screen, instead of staying on rear camera.

Doesn't this make you sweat as you see people barely stopping behind you?
Not really, the distortion of the rear view camera makes it so the people directly behind appear farther away, so it's actually less stressful than looking at the rearview mirror.
I have the camera on because it provides a much better view than the rear view mirror, given the high rear parcel shelf on the Model 3 and because I am using roof shades that makes the view out the back further smaller.

View attachment 764825It’s fine but doesn’t do what I’m suggesting. It’s not enough (particularly in the daytime) to give me the one thing I need to know without looking down. Which it could. Tesla treats the screen as only an illustration of conditions - it’s very elegant (mostly) but short sighted. It could do other forms of signification.The only time it currently does the kind of thing I’m referring to is when the computer melts down and squawks for you to take control. It makes a flashing red steering wheel. You don’t need to look over to know there is a problem. I’m simply suggesting all those pixels can be used for things other than a cartoon of the car driving down the road and it could make the car safer. Which is one of their stated goals as a company.